Search

HELP in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 1999, 04:30 PM
Mary

HELP in Venice

My husband has not been to Venice since the late 70's and I've not been there. Somehow, his impressions of Venice are not as pleasant compared to what I have read/gleaned from books/this forum. Help me convice him otherwise. Thanks.

Old Dec 1st, 1999, 04:48 PM
howard

Maybe his memories of Venice aren't pleasant ones because you weren't with him! <BR>Venice is a place that sucks you in and consumes you the moment you step out of the railroad station and see the Grand Canal--a thrilling site. It's perhaps the only place in the world where you are encourage to get lost in the maze of narrow streets and canals. It's a place where every corner you turn is a photo op! It's a place where the sun is, in my wife's words, a "Monet sun." It's a place where a lifetime isn't long enough to totally enjoy!

Old Dec 1st, 1999, 08:48 PM
Julius

Howard: Really cool observation!!! Have you ever sold vacumn cleaners or siding??? All kidding aside. Mary, Venice a great place. Try it you'll like it

Old Dec 2nd, 1999, 04:14 AM
Mary Ann

Be sure to read the entire response! <BR>We have several different friends and relatives who have gone to Venice and disliked it as a dirty smelly city!!! Our 21 year old daughter went in 1997 and loved it. For history and just desire, we decided to try it this past September. Personnaly, Italy is not my favorite country. People are rude, impatient, and drivers are terrible. <BR>Result: We absolutely loved Venice. We stayed at a very small friendly place right on the Grand Canal (which did not smell). Of course the city was lit with brilliant sun light which does help. Food was great, servers helpful. I think people go with very high expectations of the past and the glitz and then they are disappointed. Also I think tours are a very bad way to visit. They come early and leave by 4:00pm missing the charm of the city in the evening and after dark. Stay in the city! From the dueling orchestras in San Marco, to the livilinest (spelling) of the streets and canals and trip out to Murano it was great! We spent only two nights because of warnings, I wish we spent more. We did not take a gondola ride. $150 for 30 minutes or so did not seem worth it. However, the Vaporetto ride in and out and a speedboat ride to Murano more than compensated. Go, have a wonderful time and appreciate the age and beauty of this historic city!!!

Old Dec 2nd, 1999, 04:44 AM
howard

Postscript to my previous posting: Mary Ann makes an observation that I have also heard, i.e., about the smell of the city in the hot weather. We did not go in the summer when I gather it can be hot and smelly. So, Mary, the solution is simple: Take your husband in the spring or fall, when it's also much less crowded. But, go!

Old Dec 2nd, 1999, 05:03 AM
Rex

My two cents worth - - the "bad press" about Venice in the "hot, smelly summer" does not apply, in my opinion to early-mid June. You still get those wonderfully late sunsets, it is NOT that hot, and yet, the temperature is pleasant enough that a gondola ride at 11 or 12 o'clock at night is still divine. Price will not necessarily be so bad, either. <BR> <BR>My tip for a better price on a gondola? Fill it up yourself with 4-8 people. If you're not traveling in a group, just form one on your own while walking along through the streets. This is part of what traveling is about - - just listen for English (or whatever language you speak) and don't be shy about approaching a couple of strangers - - "Excuse me, we were thinking about taking a gondola ride, and we figured it would be nice to share with some fellow travelers. Would you folks be interested in going in with us?" What's the worst they can say? No thanks!? <BR> <BR>You can still get a gondoliere for less than $10 a head this way (late at night) - - you're not ripping your boatman off, and you're getting a great experience for the money - - a lot of the time, he's looking for one last "fare" so he can go home for the night. <BR> <BR>Whatever your husband remembers, whatever anybody says, there is much to hate, and much to love about Venice - - but mostly, much to love. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Dec 2nd, 1999, 05:54 AM
Dona

Mary, <BR> <BR>I have been all over Italy and love all of it - but my heart is in Venice... As Howard mentioned, arriving at the train station is literally breathtaking. The sounds of the city that I always remember are water lapping and footsteps - especially on the back streets. If any area will get crowded it's only San Marco - the rest of the city becomes yours. For me, it 's the most romantic place in the world. Even in the winter, when it's cold and damp, the sky turns pink at dusk. The light is like no other place I've seen (although the heart of Tuscany has its own special light...). I've been to Venice 6 times and can't get enough. If your husband is still not convinced, have him e-mail me (and I'll see what I can do...). <BR> <BR>;-)) <BR>

Old Dec 3rd, 1999, 09:22 AM
richard j vicek

Goodmorning, Mary <BR>Venice is either a place you will love <BR>or you will hate and mostly it is imp= <BR>ossible to change ones mind, unless <BR>they do it themselves. If you can get <BR>him to go back, don't go during the hot <BR>months, September and October are ex- <BR>cellant, pick an above average hotel, <BR>so you don't get squeezed into a closet. <BR>Have spent about 74 days in 18 trips <BR>during which we stayed in Venice, one <BR>of our most favored spots..

Old Dec 3rd, 1999, 04:50 PM
Mary

Thanks everyone, and keep the comments coming. We are almost to Venice in January. Still needs a little persuasion.

Old Dec 3rd, 1999, 04:52 PM
Bob

Do Venice. You will enjoy it. We just returned from our third visit. The first was in 1971 when we were young marrieds. Enjoyed it them with no money. This last trip we enjoyed it again. Definitely stay in the city and enjoy the town at night after all the day trippers have left. That is the best time to walk the streets and get a real flavor of the area. If you do not want to spring for a gondola ride, just buy a ticket on an express vaporetta. As people get off you can work yourself to the nice seats in the front of the boat and stay on to see all the stops. Three day passes also available. Bottom line: Don't miss it. It is unique.

Old Dec 3rd, 1999, 05:30 PM
Maggie

I am definitely in the "go" category!! When we went to Venice we flew from London and took a bus from the airport to the head of the Grand Canal (Same starting point as the train station.) After an overseas flight and change in London I was quite frankly, tired and cranky. And then we got on the vaporetto on the Grand Canal!!! I thought I was a kid on Christmas morning, a bride at her wedding, pick your analogy. It was magic. <BR> <BR>To our Hotel, quick brushing of teeth, splashing of water etc. On to San Marco---bliss. As others have said, the dueling (in the best sense of the word) quartets in San Marco, the winding walkways over canals, the lack of motor noise---it is a very special place. My husband still tells friends that he wanted to dance with me in San Marco and I was too shy---he's right, but I want to go back and prove him wrong!!! <BR> <BR>PS From your last post you're going in January--assume you've factored in temp and rain possibilities-----

Old Dec 3rd, 1999, 07:30 PM
dayle

We were in Venice in March. No crowds, no lines, no smells. Just heaven, beautiful heaven and a great meal to end a ski trip with friends. It was cold enough for a wool coat. A light fog cast a memorable spell while we wandered. It also made for some excellent photos. Cannot wait to go back! Andiamo!

Old Dec 4th, 1999, 05:15 AM
howard

Just got my pictures back and the ones from Veniced verify everything I've said above. Mary, if your husband doesn't want to go, take me!

Old Dec 4th, 1999, 05:22 PM
wendy

I was in Venice about three weeks ago and it was PACKED with tourists. It really is a magical place all year long. <BR> <BR>Take a daytrip to the island of Burano - beautiful! <BR> <BR>When I was there, there was a lightning and thunderstorm like I've never seen, and it just added to the charm. GO!

Old Dec 5th, 1999, 05:15 AM
howard

I don't know where they went, but Venice wasn't packed with tourists two weeks ago! Piazza San Marco was beautifully uncrowded!