help in dublin

Jul 1st, 2001, 12:12 PM
me

help in dublin

20 SOMETHING TRAVELING TO DUBLIN FROM ATLANTA, GA, USA
I NEED ALOT OF HELP...
CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THE TIPPING PROCEDURES

A GREAT IN EXPENSIVE (NOT HOSTILE, W/PRIVATE BATH) PLACE TO STAY IN DUBLIN

THINGS NOT TO MISS...SITES,RESTUARANTS,ETC.
THANK YOU!

Jul 1st, 2001, 04:22 PM
Mary

Tipping is not mandatory the way it is in the States. Some restaurants add a 10 to 15% 'service charge' to your bill...if this is added you absolutely do not have to tip. If there is no service charge and you have enjoyed decent service it is considered friendly to leave a tip of roughly 10% but nobody is going to call the police if you don't. Tipping for other sevices is not generally done...if however I go to the hairdressers for example, I would usually give the stylist a pound or two at the end...but nothing like 10%. If you go to the bar and order your own drink there is no need to tip the barman. If however you are in a crowded pub and the loungeboy or girl goes to the bar for you it is a good idea to add 50 pence or so to the price of the round of drinks. This will ensure that they will come back and get the next round for you and not pretend they haven't noticed that you want them. But don't worry about the tipping, it isn't really an issue here. As regards your other questions put in a search for Dublin and you will find some answers on this site. Or search for 'Cathy Lynch'...she answers questions about Ireland really well. Enjoy yourself.

Jul 1st, 2001, 07:13 PM
me

thank you!I would still like to have some opinions from locals or frequent visitors on restaurants and such.I live in a tourist town and know it is best to ask those who live there to not get caught in "tourist traps".

Jul 2nd, 2001, 09:17 AM
Ann

Thanks for taking off the Caps lock key.

Anyway, also double check the price of your drinks. Americans are routinely overcharged in pubs in Ireland, and it happens the most in Dublin.

Jul 2nd, 2001, 11:02 AM
Thyra

If you have not done so, I suggest you go and pick up a good guide book that you can bring with you, that will go over a lot of useful info. Hotels, tipping, transporation, clubs, dancing, food etc. Let's Go or Lonely Planet are the best for under 30s, Frommer's is great for budget, Rick Steves has some unique ideas or Fodor's for more upscale. You will feel a lot more confident if you pick up one of the above mentioned books and use it for a reference.
Bon Voyage.

Jul 2nd, 2001, 11:04 AM
Cathy

Me

Check out www.ireland.travel.ie - the Irish Tourist Board web site. ask them to send you their free brochure material and their booklet on B&Bs - they may be your best bet. Re things not to be missed it depends on what you are interested in - a quick search of this site will produce a lot of different places in Dublin and people's comments on them. Some are Trinity College and the book of Kells, Dublin Castle, Guinness Brewery, The Whiskey Conrer etc.

Hope this helps,

Cathy

Jul 2nd, 2001, 12:55 PM
Catherine

Not-to-miss pubs are The Stag's Head, Kehoe's, Davey Byrne's, McDaids, and Toners. Trendy bars include Cafe-en-Seine, Octagon Bar and the bar in the Morrison Hotel-just look for the queue. Clubs popular with locals are Ri-Ra, the Pod, and Lillie's. You shouldn't have a problem finding fun in Dublin-it's a lively, young city.

There are restaurants abound in Temple Bar; some good, some not so. Check out www.visitdublin.com for their listings. Also Fodor's doesn't have a bad selection on this site. Go to the homepage and click on Restaurants.

Have fun.