HELP! I’m so confused about my trip to the BO area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My initial plan this year was to travel to Greece, but the airfare going there was out of my budget. Then I decided on Spain, but for some reason I was not completely sold on Spain. So I’ve finally settled on Switzerland. I will be flying in and out of Zurich, excluding travel days; I will be in Switzerland from September 2 through September 11th and would like to explore the BO area. I do not want to move around too much and have decided to use two bases with the limited time.

I've read all the threads on this region, however, each time I read a post and the responses I get even more confused because each time I settle on a particularly area, here comes a response about another town that appears to be even more beautiful. I know I can’t see it all in the time I have and I will most likely have to return, but I would like to enjoy some of the fantastic scenery that the Swiss area has to offer, including some hiking, strolling and day trips. I plan on purchasing a Swiss Rail pass before leaving the U.S.A., as my mode of transportation for getting around. Please help me decide on the two best places to stay that would afford me the easiest access to day trips and hiking.

One of my main concerns is being able to leave my last destination via train to arrive at Zurich for my departure at 10:35am.

Some of my combinations are:

1) Train from Zurich to Wengen (4 days) and Wengen to Luzerne/Lucerne (5 days); or
2) Zurich to Luzerne/Lucerne (4 days) and Luzerne/Lucerne to Gimmelwald (5 days)
3) Also considered using Lauterbrunnen as my base for the entire time, because it appears to be centrally located to do most of what I want to do, day trips and hiking and particularly because taking the train back to Zurich is easiest.

Please let me know what the best way to modify my itinerary is. I’m open to all combinations and suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

jdc
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 04:37 AM

<"<i>here comes a response about another town that appears to be even more beautiful.</i>"
The Berner Oberland is indeed the motherlode.

"<i>I will most likely have to return.</i>"
Ah yes, join the club!

For 9 nights, my suggestion would be:
7 nights Wengen or Grindelwald (note: NOT Gimmelwald - do you know the difference?) These 2 towns have excellent accessibility, as well as restaurants, shops, etc. There is plenty to keep you busy for an entire week. Lauterbrunnen would be my third choice. To me, I'd rather be UP in the mountains, rather than in the valley looking up, but that's just my opinion. Lauterbrunnen is lovely, but for me it's too low.

Then your remaining 2 nights could be in Lucerne. To me, I enjoy a boat ride or trip to Rigi or Pilatus, but it's only a day. Walking thru the town, to me -- well, it's just another city. I prefer the mountains.

Happy travels!
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Swisshiker. Sorry, I meant to type Grindelwald not Gimmelwald. So yes, I do know the difference. I did research Lauterbrunnen and although it appears to be lovely, I think I will enjoy the views from the top, so will look into Wengen and Grindelwald. I'm in communication with the Alprenrose (sp) in Wengen for accommodations and will have to search for accommodations in Grindelwald and Lucerne. Any suggestions? Would prefer something on a small budget, i.e., 100chf or under (is that doable?). Should I consider B&B?

Thanks,
jdc
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 05:58 AM

oooooh, 100chf/night?

Check out www.grindelwald.com. You can do hotel searches here by price and location (including Wengen). Simply insert your dates, etc. and you'll get a good idea how doable (or not) it will be.

In Grindelwald, you might check into Lehmann's Herberge B&B. Walkable from the station, even an apartment just a bit over your budget.

There's also a hostel (Mountain Hostel) next to the station Grund, about a 15-minute walk downhill from Grindelwald, and this would be within your budget.

Good luck!
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 06:07 AM

My wife and I are will be there at the same time. September 1st until the 6th. We are staying in Murren. We booked the Eiger Guesthouse (#1 in Murren on Tripadvisor.com) for $140 a night. That is for a double room with private bath and a balcony. They have a double room with a "shower to share" for $100 a night. We were looking for something between a motel and a B&B. Something somewhat private and somewhat social with a view. After endless online research, I have come to a conclusion about the BO. Pick a town, pick a place to stay, stop worrying and enjoy the ride. It sounds to me like you really can't go wrong. just find a place that suits your style and price.
Good luck and see you there
J
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 06:19 AM

We just returned from the BO, it was our 4th trip. Each and every time is more beautiful! This time, we stayed in Lauterbrunnen, and favored it, because of the easy accessibility to both Murren, and Wengen. It sits in the valley, between the two, and our small apartment (Chalet Horner) had views of the Jungfrau, waterfalls, and the stream that runs down the center of the valley. It was absolutely breathtaking. The views from either Wengen, or Murren are breathtaking as well, but since we planned to tour both sides, the Lauterbrunnen location suited us perfectly. Since part of our fascination with the area is the wonderful transportation system, staying in the valley gave us excuse to it frequently!

You will have a glorious time. September will be beautiful.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both.

jlm43, I totally understand what you're saying. For me and travelling the hardest part is trying to find accommodations. More than anything and among other things, we all want to find the perfect location and right price for our budget.

swisshiker, I will look into your recommendations.

I'm currently negotiating with Alprenrose (highly recommended on here) back and forth via email. Keep your fingers cross that they will accept my price of chf124 (about $108.00) per night.

I did find a hotel in Lucerne at a good rate, but can't find any reviews, either on here or Tripadvisor. I'll continue my search. I'll have to book something soon as I know September can be a busy time in that area.

jdc
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

beachtee, I'm somewhat tempted to stay in Lauterbrunnen even thought it sits in the valley, for the same reasons that you did.

jdc
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

PS beachtee, I'm especially tempted by Hotel Staubbach in Lauterbrunnen. Gets good reviews here and Tripadvisor also.

jdc
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 06:56 AM

JDC, Here is a link to a new "hike" that was opened last summer. Just thought I would share.
http://www.klettersteig-muerren.ch/c...nt.php?idcat=2
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

OMG jlm43. Thank you. That looks so amazing. I will definitely look into that.

jdc