Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! I need information about a canadian charter company called "Royal Airlines".

Search

Help! I need information about a canadian charter company called "Royal Airlines".

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 1998, 11:03 AM
Caroline

I am planning a trip this summer with my eleven year old to Glasgow Scotland.One of the best fares I have come across is with a canadian charter company called "Royal Airlines".Would anyone have information or personal expierience in dealing with this airline?Things like service, comfort and what the food is like? Thanks.

Old Feb 18th, 1998, 11:27 AM
Joe Lomax

I do not generally give second-hand advice, but this is an exception. Please wait before using Royal Airlines. I have read in another bulliten board horror stories about these people. I will try to find the original url's and post them here, but I suspect there will be some action from unhappy customers, soon.

Old Feb 18th, 1998, 01:52 PM
Linda

We hate flying charter airlines to Britain because of the lack of leg room. It is a long overnight flight to be jammed in like sardines. However, I know the fares are much cheaper than the regular airlines so it can be a tough decision. Of the three Canadian charters flying to Britain I think Royal is okay. My neighbours and their family in Ireland are back and forth a lot and they prefer Royal over Air Transat (my least favourite) and Canada 3000. If you can live with the lack of room I don't think you'll find the service too bad.

Old Feb 20th, 1998, 08:13 PM
Tom

We have flown to Cuba several times and once(last year)to Glasgow,Scotland with Royal and for the money,found them very acceptable in seating and service.

Old Feb 26th, 1998, 05:34 PM
sarah

We flew with Royal last March on a short haul flight [ 4 hours] and found it was the best of 3 airlines we have used for the same trip. When we tried to book again with them for the same trip in June we could not because the planes are all shifted to the European routes.Air Transit is a nightmare even on short flights,particularly if someone has long legs.

Old Feb 27th, 1998, 06:06 AM
Rose

I have never flown directly with Royal Airlines, however I know many people who have. The comments and reactions have been mixed. I have heard horror stories (people getting sick on the food) and great comments (my parents flew them down south and did not have any complaints). I think like all charter airlines, you can have good or bad experiences...it may all be in the luck of the particular flight you're on....However, when you consider the flight portion of your vacation is only a very small part, you can concentrate on having a fabulous time when you arrive at your destination....Good Luck!

Old Feb 28th, 1998, 09:43 AM
caroline

Thanks to everyone for their input.I've decided to travel on a regular scheduled airline;.The fares are really not much higher, and the chances of having a nightmarish journey are somewhat reduced.Besides, Its the trip of a lifetime, so why stint! Thanks again.

Old Mar 14th, 1998, 08:06 AM
Norm

Royal is the Airline from Hell as far as I'm concerned. The last time I flew Royal it 16 hours for what we would be a 4 hour flight.I ended up at a closed airport at 4:00 am with no cabs or buses available. No food on the flight for 4 hours after take off. Unscheduled stop for fuel. Have heard many
other stories of equipment breaking down and passengers having to wait at airports until planes
are repaired or take other flights at their own expense, this as recently as 3 days ago. When making
travel arrangements now I check and if Royal is the
carrier I make other plans.