Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! I am letting vanity overtake reason!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firstly I would like to thank all of you who have written to me with encouragement.

Now I am packing for the trip and leaving Saturday morning and vanity is taking over. I just can't look at all those bulky shapeless winter/warm clothes. I see it is cold and rainy in Italy as I guess it should be this time of year.

How do you do it?
Do you pack for comfort/weather or to look attractive?
Can you do both?
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:41 PM

You have a choice. Either do not travel in March or forget vanity.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:43 PM

It depends on where I am going.

I just got back from St. Lucia and I took **everything**. Not so much in the way of clothes but all sorts of bath stuff and books etc. I think it was my way of acting out over traveling for work and having to cram my week into 1 roll-a-board suitcase.

If I was planning to go to Italy and do a bunch of sight seeing/walking etc I would pack for **comfort** no doubt. I hate being cold so if I could just take a turtleneck and a thick sweater so be it.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:48 PM

pack for Comfort, I hate to be cold also.Just bring a prettier outfit for special occasions...
Buon Viaggio faith...
Where in Italy?
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:52 PM

What do you wear in the winter at home???
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:52 PM

Warm clothes don't have to be bulky and shapeless. I don't own anything bulky except maybe some of my ski clothes. I bring fitted, lightweight silk and cashmere sweaters/shirts that I can layer. Keeps me warm and I can easily adjust between outdoor and indoor temps (which I often find uncomfortably hot). Same with coats, I prefer something that is fitted and tailored. You CAN do both!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:53 PM
yk

Faith-

I lost track. Are both Bambi & Orlando going with you? Are you packing for yourself only or for Bambi as well? Are you still packing the silk gloves and hats?

I would rather freeze to death than being in unattractive clothes.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:58 PM

I don't know how old you are, but have you ever seen the movie "Dr. Zhivago"? At one point the characters are in Siberia, but I'll tell you (in my opinion as a woman), it's hard to come up with anyone more attractive than Julie Christie bundled up in that thick turtleneck sweater!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:01 PM

All the fall/winter collections produced by every designer are "bulky shapeless " garments? Think again dear. Perhaps your wardrobe is, but that is your own misfortune, not the manufacturers.

Buy yourself a new wardrobe in Italy!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:04 PM

C'mon, Bob! Haven't you ever seen a woman who looks good in a sweater???
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:08 PM

I don't know where you are going but last year in Rome in Late Feb , early March all I wore was wool pants, a cotton or wool turtleneck and a sweater... And I live in Florida..and it never rained once..though I did have a short rain jacket packed. At night it was coolish..I wore a wool ruana over sweater and pants. Never felt uncomfortable or unfashionable.

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:34 PM

Faith, one word: waterproof.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

I am packing for myself and had a momentary breakdown (runs in the family? ha). She is taking silks and an overcoat, Orlando is staying home.

We are going to Rome and S.Agata due Golfi and according to weather.com it is rainy and cold (which I am not used to).

I think on your advice I will take my cashmire sweaters and scarves, woolish pants, boots. How about a leather 3/4 length coat with a thick lining? Black jeans?

I think I am out of touch with designer clothes lately and Bambi is in her own world of the Old Movies.....back to the suitcases....thanks for the ideas.

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 03:51 PM
yk

Faith-

I am worried. Who is going to carry your luggage for you & Bambi?

Don't bother with the leather jacket if it is going to rain.

Cashmere sweaters & scarves sound good. Ask Uncle to buy you a cashmere coat in the US before you leave (in you don't have one yet). He owes you a big favor for bringing Bambi along.

Another option is to pack just enough clothes for the 1st two days, then buy clothes as you go. Nothing better than wearing the latest Italian fashion.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 04:24 PM

Silk long underwear adds warmth without bulk. Plus, you can wash it by hand and it will dry overnight.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

I'm back, the computer is near the pantry so I am back here on the way to have chocolate ice cream for my nerves.
I don't know why packing is so hard for me, I think it is trying to stuff your life into a little box that is so hard.

I have a fitted cashmire coat so I will just bring that and take an umbrella. I will take my silk underwear too, good idea. Looks like I am taking mostly black, once again, when I used to visit my UK relatives they all dressed like The Queen so I didn't have to worry about style, seems like the Italians are tough acts to follow.

(Funny, Bambi is taking all the packing calmer than I am, but she has someone pack for her, she just points!)

Thanks again!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 05:29 PM

Hey, Faith, if it's any consolation to you, all my years of travel throughout the first, second, and third worlds on every sort of budget have not made packing <i>any</i> easier for me. I still spend what seems like endless hours staring at my clothes with mounting anxiety. Sigh.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 05:33 PM

Faithonholiday, Cashmere sweaters are usually on sale this time of year and they are not bulky but will keep you warm. You can never go wrong with cashmere! Also wear wool socks for your feet to keep them dry and warm. Also dress in layers.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 05:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My best pre-packing tip is to hang outfits in a separate place ahead of time. Visualize what you will need, sort and sort again. I would take 3 or 4 of your best outfits, nothing new or untried, that you love at home in a similar season, that look and feel good on you. They can be stylish but pack comfortable boots/shoes.

That's how I do it, yes you can pack light, be comfortable and fasionable both. And take money to pick up what you may or may not need, as it arises (like an umbrella).

Downsize all toiletries (very important tip!) into tiny travel sizes just enough to cover the length of your trip.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 06:52 PM

FH:

You scare me...

None of my winter clothes are bulky/shapeless.

Seems like you have some fabric suggestions but do remember to coordinate your fabrics and your colors.

Take the time to use your computer and look at some fashion websites if you must.

Burberry makes the best rain boot, umbrella, light weight trench coat and rain hat. A totally worthwhile investment that will work well at home to replace your bulky and shapeless winter attire.

The Italians are a tough act to follow so simply keep up!
(just kidding...kinda)

Happy SHOPPING &amp; Packing,
Oaktown Traveler

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -