Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help from train experts--Poland to Germany question

Apr 24th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

I'm trying to figure out the cost of a ticket from Warsaw to Dusseldorf flughafen. Then, I want to find out the cost of a sleeper on this same route. On www.bahn.de I can find the schedules, but no prices are listed. I tried raileurope, but that isn't giving me a thing; it says no such itinerary exists. Then I tried railsaver.com. I couldn't get any info there either. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Can someone please help me?
Apr 24th, 2006, 03:40 PM

The train is EN 348, leaving Warszawa Centralna at 1835 and arriving in Düsseldorf at 0549.
The Deutsche Bahn web site says it cannot be booked on line and that the fare can be obtained from their offices. You need to contact DB or one of their agents.
Apr 24th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Geoff--

I followed up on your information, and I just found out there is a UK site for the bahn and they will take e-mail inquiries. The english version of the German site does not offer the e-mail possibility.
Apr 24th, 2006, 06:58 PM

I can give you an estimate. I looked up the cost of the train from Warsaw to Rezpin, which is near the border.
And then the fare from Frankfurt am Oder to the Düsseldorf airport.

The price in Poland was 96 zlotny.
The price in Germany was 97€.

The zlotny is running 1 zlotny to 32 cents US. The euro is about $1.24 for €1.

that comes out to about $31 for the Polish part plus the remnant from Rezpin to the border, which is about a 15 minute ride. The German part is about $120.00 right now.

There may well be add ons because of the type of train. But an estimate of $160 or so should be fairly close.

I hope so at any rate. Be interesting to see how close my indirect estimate really is.

I was unable to get a sleeper price, so I may not have helped you much.

The sleeper schedule does not look all that great except for the 18:35 departure which requires a change to the S Bahn at about 5:50 am. You arrive at the airport at 6:18.

Unless you have an early morning flight, that is not my idea of a good time to arrive.
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Actually our flight to the US leaves at 9:40, so I was thinking the timing may not work out too badly. We'd be there a little early obviously, but we could probably have some breakfast of something.

Next question. Do you think I'd be fine scheduling counting on an on-time train arrival? It has always been my impression that train schedules are much more reliable than place.

Bob--when I hear back from bahn.uk I'll let you know how close your estimate is. Was this for 2nd class? Seems like a lot of money. Unfortunately, I think this is showing me once again that European train fares are quite prohibitive. I found an airfare from Warsaw to Cologne (basically right next to Dusseldorf) for E137 for 2 people. In other words, it is starting to look as though 2 of us could fly for the price of 1 train ticket.
Apr 25th, 2006, 02:17 AM

My sleeper in a second class T3 from Dresden to Duisberg cost 35 euro in January. My 2nd class ticket from Dresden to Amsterdam cost 126 euros. I could have saved money if I had bought this ticket in Prague where I was the day before. If you provide details of your trip we may be able to give you more detailed advice.

On this train the conductor may ask to hold your passport, or you may be awakened in the night by Polish and German passport police.

May 21st, 2006, 09:17 AM

Hope this helps : -> http://www.intercity.pl/scripts/trai...1&trasa_id=183