Help for travel along the Rhine River

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are visiting Europe this summer and for two days we will be in the Rhine River area of Germany. We have a eurail pass for the time we're there, so I would like to take the train from Brussels over to Koln and then hop on one of the KD tour boats down to Koblenz. From what I understand the KD passes are free for those with eurail passes, so there is no need to book in advance or purchase tickets. Is this correct and is it all KD tour boats and passes? Our hotel for that night will be in Koblenz, so I was hoping to arrive at Koln early in the day and spend the rest of the day getting to Koblenz on the KD tour boats. Is this feasible and how much time does it take to get from Koln to Koblenz? Once we are in Koblenz, what are the best areas to see for the next day?

If anyone has been, lives there, or knows about this area, I would greatly appreciate answers to my questions or further relevant information!

Thanks so much,
Danielle
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 11:57 AM

"I would like to take the train from Brussels over to Koln and then hop on one of the KD tour boats down to Koblenz."

This route isn't nearly as scenic as the stretch SOUTH of Koblenz between Braubach (a 12-minute train ride south of Koblenz) and Bingen. Because of the strong current, it's best to start in Bingen and travel north to Braubach. After Braubach, the scenery deteriorates, so don't go all the way to Koblenz; also, it's a crazy long walk from the Koblenz docks to the train station in Koblenz. And the good thing about getting out in Braubach is taking a tour of Marksburg Castle. A little choo-choo shuttle takes you up, or you can hike up in 20-30 minutes.

www.marksburg.de
www.marksburg.de/english/frame.htm

Koblenz's old town is nice. But it's a very small part of the city, which is mostly modern and unremarkable, and Koblenz is generally not that special a place. And this summer it will likely be very busy because of the national garden show there (BUGA.) I would stay in one of the more attractive and atmospheric Rhine villages instead. Look into Boppard, St. Goar (home of Rheinfels Castle) Oberwesel or Bacharach. All these towns, like Bingen, are on the west bank of the Rhine south of Koblenz. From Brussels, take your train to Cologne, have a look around there if you wish, then head directly to one of the villages above; maybe stay in St. Goar and see Rheinfels that day if there's still time. You can do a Rhine cruise and Marksburg on Day 2 of your stay; there are plenty of trains to Bingen from all of these villages.

In a
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 12:05 PM

Köln to Koblenz by boat? What for? There is one short stretch south of Bonn with the Seven Mountains, and another short stretch around Remagen, that are of interest. All the rest, and that means about 80-90% of the trip, is not. You'd be wasting a precious day.

The interesting part of the Rhine valley is south of Koblenz. Take the train straight to Koblenz and you'll be there in one hour to one and a half. Dump your luggage either at your accommodation if it is easy to reach, or in a locker at the train station and spend the rest of the day either in the Rhine gorge or venture into the Mosel valley, or see the garden exhibition in Koblenz.

This website is a goldmine of information and inspiration about the Rhine gorge: www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 12:05 PM

If you are trying to squeeze in the free Rhine cruise on your train travel day from Brussels so as not to use the next day as a railpass day, you may want to catch the 4:30 pm cruise from Bingen on Day 1 instead; Marksburg will be closed when you get to Braubach, but you could visit the castle on Day 2 instead by train. A VRM daypass (buy at any yellow/gray Regio ticket machine in one of the villages) for 2-5 adults is only 20 Euros and will get you there via Koblenz from any of the villages except Braubach.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 02:06 PM

Dang. I messed that last sentence up.

"A VRM daypass (buy at any yellow/gray Regio ticket machine in one of the villages) for 2-5 adults is only 20 Euros and will get you there via Koblenz from any of the villages except Braubach."

It should say "except BACHARACH" at the end. Bacharach is outside the VRM area of validity.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 09:52 PM

If the great responses by Russ and quokka are not convincing enough then let me add my opinions to theirs.

IMO the highlights of the Rhine are the town of Bacharach (my favorite small town for walking and shopping in), Rheinfels (a great ruined fortress) above St. Goar and Marksburg (the only castle on the Rhine never to be conquered) above Braubach.

If you are worried about time and you are only considering going to Koblenz because you can get there without spending any additional money, then I would just stay in Köln. There is enough to see there to spend a few days. The Dom is a must, the Roman museum is great, and my wife and I really enjoy walking along the river and visiting the small cafes.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 11:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I liked the Rhine North of Koblenz and the schlep from the docks to the station is easy (google the map and measure it) unless you are 70 with two gammy hips (if so take a taxi).

Bingen is pretty, if you get a break there why not hire a bike and buzz up into the vines.

I think its a great idea after all you can have a beer and watch the world go by
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! This was very helpful... I am not set on going from Koln to Koblenz. This was just because Brussels to Koln is the most direct train to that area. I think now I'll take another train from Koln to one of the towns south of Koblenz and spend our two days in the areas recommended above.