Help first trip to Switzerland

Old May 18th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help first trip to Switzerland

We are planning a trip of Italy, Switzerland and Germany. We will be driving from Italian Lake District to Switzerland and plan to spend 5 days in Switzerland.

I am really struggling with a plan, however, from my research sofar, The plan is to spend 3 days around Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken, ideally we would like to hike and even camp around lakes in this area. After that 2 days in Zurich and then to Munich.

I would like to get your view on the itinerary and would really appreciate recommendations on places to stay and suggestions on activities that perhaps we have not considered.

Old May 18th, 2008, 06:57 PM

First, let me say that my wife and I both enjoy the Berner Oberland. We base ourselves in Lauterbrunnen.

If you are camping, there are two areas near Lauterbrunnen close to the base of Staubbach Falls where I have seen tents and campers and "caravans."

Lots of people of college age congregate there.

The scenery is awesome, but with the US dollar on life support, the prices are just about as high as the Alps.

The only lakes of any size in the area are Brienz and Thun. Camping except in designated camping areas is generally not what most people do.

As for Zürich, I have one question:
Why?

I can suggest quite a few hikes around Lauterbrunnen. If you are a climber type, there are some overnight huts (actually shelter facilities) in the area. Some are located in spectacular places.

If you want a few more details, let me know. For starters, the Oberhornsee above Stechelberg. It is a small glacial lake.
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the tips. We are not climbers but do enjoy hiking. I would love to do an over night hike and stay in huts, so please send additional information.

As you mention, the dollar does not go very far so hiking is my way enjoying the best without going broke.

The only reason for Zurich was that its on the way to Munich. Seems like it might be a good idea to spend the time around Lauterbrunnen and skip Zurich.
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:01 PM

Switzerland is a small country - this means you are able to see a lot of destinations in short time.

The Berner Oberland is certainly spectacular.

What you should see in addition to that:

- Luzern, Switzerland's quaintest town
- Bern, the Swiss capital, with a dramatic setting on a rock and a medieval old town (you can do Bern as a daytrip from Lauterbrunnen, maybe in the afternoon when you come back from a hike - or on a rainy day)
- of course Zürich, with its old town, nightlife and "Kastenbäder" (cage-like swimming pools in Lake Zürich and the river Limmat); Zürich is a good place for an overnight stay

When you leave Lauterbrunnen you can drive to Zürich with a stop in Luzern.

If you are the museum type, Bern and Zürich (also Basel) offer a lot.
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:08 PM

I got a lot of good advice in my thread called "Mini Cooper Adventures". My screen name is RebeccaYouSee, maybe search for me or that thread.

We're driving the mini up Italy, thru Switzerland, up the Netherlands, across Germany, stopping in Bavaria for Oktoberfest and back home to Italy. Sept. 2008.

So, it might be useful to see the YouTube postings folks sent me on my thread.

Good luck!!
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:14 AM

If you plan to stay in the Berner Oberland or Jungfrau region and you have chosen either Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken, then I would select Lauterbrunnen as your base for those 2 or 3 days.

The area is indeed beautiful, but another advantage is that you would be in the middle of two very popular Jungfrau area destinations. Wengen and Murren.

Do a search in the Swiss posting forums on hiking in Wengen,Murren or Grindlewald. There should be postings on hikes that many of us have posted about in good detail.

I have seen that same camping area Bob Brown posted about. Tell you the truth, I did not notice that much about it, but I remember seeing that camping area. Looked pretty nice and I am sure everything would meet your expectations there. You mentioned being cose to the lakes. Interlaken is close by. As many times as I have been to or through Interlaken, I do not remember any campgrounds there though. Interlaken is between Lake Thun and Lake Brienz.

What month are you planning the trip?

Now playing:

The Grateful Dead: Terrapin Station

Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sunstar,
Thanks for the info, trip is planned for September 2nd week. We would definitely stay in Lauterbrunnen.

It seems like there are quite a few camping areas in the region (very cheap 10-14 CHF per person), also most over night hikes recommend using the shelter facilities since there are not many restrictions on overnight camping.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
and camping sites in Switzerland are quite nice...