Help finding cemetery in Brouviller, S'il vous plait

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling from Munich to Paris in Sept. and have one day to try and find the cemetery(s) where my ancestors are. They are all(lots!) listed as being born and buried in Brouviller, Moselle. Any ideas as to how I could find out how to locate cemeteries in that region/village? I have never been to France and have had no luck searching online, or in books. Merci
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 02:07 PM

Google brings up many Web pages for Brouviller, which is in the "département" called Moselle.

They are all in French, without a translation. This is not surprising, since the French feel quite strongly that there should be more of a "French presence" on the Internet...

There is a map of Moselle here:

http://www.tourisme.fr/carte/carte-d...nt-moselle.htm

Brouviller, as far as I can tell, does not appear on the map, but the capital of the departement seems to be Metz, and Moselle is in the region of Lorraine.

There is no train service to Brouviller itself; according to this page from SNCF (the French national railway system), Sarrebourg seems to be the closest train station:

http://www.ter-sncf.com/Lorraine/v2/trajet/index.asp

This is a page of train schedules from Munich to Sarrebourg:

http://tinyurl.com/odp7e

My guess is that Brouviller is very small and that there is probably only one cemetery there.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 02:19 PM

Unlike the Deutsche Bahn (German railway system) Web site, the SNCF one did not retain the specific information asked for.

You'll have to take my word for it that when I put in "Moselle" as "departement", then "Metz" as "depart" (departure) and "Brouviller" as "arrivee" (arrival), I got schedules for trains from Metz to Sarrebourg.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 04:41 PM

Brouviller is about 5 km east/northeast of Sarrebourg just off of N4 between Sarrebourg and Phalsbourg (maybe a little closer to Phalsbourg actually). There is an airport nearby showing on the map, Aéroport de
Bourscheid or Mittelbronn...I can't tell by the map which name is for the airport. Maybe there is a flight from one of the Paris airports?

Since Brouviller is so small, I would imagine there is only one cemetary, though I suppose it could have been damaged/destroyed during one of the wars.

Sarrebourg, which is to the Northeast by about 45 km is probably the closest town by train. It is best known for the Marc Chagall stained glass windows in the Chapelle des Cordeliers, which now serves as the local tourist office. We ate in Sarrebourg at a great local auberge , the Auberge Bäeckeoffe run by M. et Mme Marc Zimmermann. We were tied up on the Marne canal the next town over and Mrs. Zimmermann came and picked us up, drove us to their restaurant for a fantastic meal and then gave us an evening tour through the town including the lit up stained glass, before dropping us off again at our boat. We tried to insist, but she wouldn't take any gas money for all her time and trouble. It was a very unexpected and special evening for us. If you do end up in Sarrebourg try the Auberge Le Bäeckeoffe at 24 rue Division Leclerc tel. 03 87 03 10 26 or FAX 03 87 23 72 84.

Were you planning on renting a car? That would be the easiest. We spent the night in the towns just to the east of both of these - in Saverne and in Lutzelburg. Both absolutely charming with nice hotels/restaurants.

Maybe someone else can provide more info regarding the actual cemetary?
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 04:45 PM

Sorry, JulesW, that should NOT read 45 km in the 3rd paragraph! When I first looked on the map, I mistook Brouville (which IS 45 km away!) for BrouvilleR.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:02 PM

Google "aeroport de Mittelbronn" and you will be able to access more info including Phalsbourg's tourist website which includes the following inf:

Phalsbourg - 5000 inhabitants - Paris 400 km. - Échangeur autoroute A4 - Strasbourg 50 km, Metz 110 km, Sarrebrück 60 km, Nancy 100 km (RN 4) - Gare SNCF Sarrebourg 15 km ou Saverne 11km

So Saverne train station is actually closer than Sarrebourg, and if you had to take a taxi or a bus (le car) to Brouviller, it would cost you less. We stayed at the Hotel National in Saverne. It wasn't expensive, was very plain but clean--okay for budget minded person. Centrally located and safe neighborhood.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:24 PM
ltr

a quick search of Brouviller, Moselle cimetiere came up with a French website with some details of the town. I will email you the link, but it looks like there are about 389 inhabitants. The link I am sending you has an email contact for the town hall. I am sure they can help you locate the cemetery.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
One of the best ways to hunt a village is to go to www.pagesjaunes.fr (the yellow pages) and enter "mairie" (city hall) and the name of the village. Even the smallest villages have a mairie. Once you have that, just click on "plan" or "vue aérienne" to get a map or an aerial photo of the location. You can zoom in and drag your mouse all over the village and count the cows... or find the cemetery.