Help Finding a Villa/House in Tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello- I am planning a trip with several families with young children (3 and under) and we thought we'd rent a house together for a week- likely in Southern Tuscany in early September. We would like to be located somewhat centrally so we can make daily excursions to the towns and take turns going out to eat and hiring a chef to come in as well.

1. Recommendations of what town we should base out of- Montepulciano- Sienna- Pienza- is it close enough that it doesn't matter
2. Recommended sites to find a place to stay

Thanks, Julie
Old May 28th, 2010, 01:18 PM

http://www.rentvillas.com/PropertyDe...?Catalog=12472

We are staying here in mid-September. It accommodates 8 people, and there is a small hotel next door that has rooms for €40-60. The hotel has a pool.

This is about 45 minutes from Orvieto. I think the villa is in Tuscany, but Orvieto is in Umbria, so it's quite south in Tuscny. Look at a map to see where it is.
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 06:13 AM

We spent our vacation at Villa Luciano, the rooms and baths are so spacious and comfortable and were perfect for our group of 8.. or more!

Good base to visit Florence, Sienna, San Gimignano, Lucca, daily excursion to pretty villages as Stia, Poppi.
Hire the chef Gabriella, prepared the most delicious dinner for us.
Take a look!
http://www.villaluciano.com
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 06:15 AM

Look at the rental reviews in south Tuscany at slowtrav.com
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 06:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
These tourism websites all list villas.

www.portalepienza.it
www.prolocomontalcino.it
www.prlocomontepulciano.it
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 06:39 AM

Yep, check out Slow Travel. Lots of valuable info there in addition to reviews of rentals and rental agencies.

I prefer renting from an agency because you can charge villa expenses on a credit card. And the agency recommends the rental; they wouldn't stay in business long if all their rentals were duds. Whereas if you just pay cash to an owner and the place is not as advertised, you have little recourse.

You will probably need to rent several cars. Most bigger rentals are not on public transportation or even in a small town. And you'll want cars in southern Tuscany anyway. I say cars plural because multiple cars are much more flexible that a single big people-mover. And smaller cars are better for driving the narrow streets in small hilltown villages.

Anywhere in the region of Montipulciano/Pienza/San Quirico/Montalcino would be fine.