Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help - fare differences - SBB versus Trenitalia

Feb 15th, 2013, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

I'd really appreciate some advice/guidance on how to purchase a Supersaver fare from Como S. Giovanni to Arth-Goldau for travel on 27 May 2013, departing 11:45. I am on a tight budget, so it would be great if I knew I'd secured this cheaper fare in advance.

Currently, SBB has the ticket available for purchase at CHF27 (~Euro22), but I won't be able to collect my ticket in Switzerland, an online ticket option is not provided, and postage to Australia is huge, making advance purchase pointless.

The same journey on the Trenitalia site is currently Euro56 (~CHF69) for a base second class fare. A lot more expensive!

My question is, will the same supersaver option be available on the Trenitalia site at some point and/or purchasable at a station in Italy leading up to this train journey (I will be in Italy from 13 May 2013)? If not, is there another way I can purchase this much cheaper fare? There are two of us travelling. I've successfully booked Supersaver fares for my domestic train travel in Italy, but this international leg really has me stumped!

I appreciate your suggestions and advice.
Feb 15th, 2013, 08:47 AM

You have to buy from the departing country. If you are departing from Italy, Trenitalia. If you are departing from Switzerland, sbb. The Trenitalia prices are in euro. The Swiss prices are in chf (Swiss franc).

>>>The same journey on the Trenitalia site is currently Euro56 (~CHF69) for a base second class fare.<<<

On Trenitalia, in the fare drop down box, you need to select Smart Fare.

Both the Supersaver and Smart are the same discount fare, but different names depending on country. You can only purchase so far out so read the rules. Trenitalia usually requires you to pick up these international tickets at a self service kiosk (or they used to) which is usually only in bigger train stations (Milan Central, etc.).

Smart Fare info:
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...3f16f90aRCRD#3
Feb 15th, 2013, 08:52 AM

FYI - I just checked your date/train on Trenitalia, selected the Smart Fare and it is 22€. It also says it must be picked up at a self-serve kiosk, but Como is on the list.
Feb 15th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi kybourbon,

Thanks so much for your reply! The drop down box is where I'd been going wrong - what an idiot!! This is great.

All the best.