Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP! Did I just make a big mistake on my Roman reservations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2000, 09:04 AM
scott

We are an American family living in Germany. I made reservations at the Morgana hotel in rome for 5 nites in May thru the German travel office of TUI. I did this because the price from the agency was much less than the price quoted direct from the hotel by phone. I gave the agent my credit card # and I thought that he would bill one nite's rate as a deposit, but he charged the whole amount for 5 nites. Then my wife asked "What if we get sick and can't go?" <BR> <BR>"I don't Know" I said. <BR> <BR>Did I make a mistake? can I correct it?? <BR>Thanks, Scott

Old Mar 27th, 2000, 12:51 PM
JAN

I AM NOT SURE WHICH SITE I READ THIS ON, BUT ACCORDING TO WHAT THEY SAID ITALIAN LAW REQUIRES A FULL REFUND IF YOU CANCEL 14 DAYS IN ADVANCE OF YOUR RESERVATION AND IN HIGH SEASON 1 MONTH IN ADVANCE. HOPE THIS HELPS. IF I FIND THE SITE I WILL COME BACK AND POST IT.

Old Mar 27th, 2000, 06:12 PM
Catherine

Hi, <BR>We just got back from Italy and what we did was take out travelers insurance for the whole trip so that if something happened we were covered. One word of caution is make sure they email you a voucher showing you paid, this you present to the hotel when you check in. <BR>We had them for all but one hotel and sure enough when we got there they had no reservations for us. If you want more info, email me.

Old Mar 27th, 2000, 09:44 PM
Myriam

<BR>Scott, <BR>When you book thru a travel agency, it is normal that you pay the total amount to the travel agency some 4/6 weeks in advance. They pay for your 5 hotel nights in Rome and you will only have to pay the extras you made when you check out of the hotel. <BR> <BR>Here in Belgium an "annulation insurance" is usually included in the price and if not, you can get one at about 4% of the invoice value. In case you cannot go (for a serious reason, like illness or a fire in your house, etc.) you will be refunded. I am quite sure that with TUI the insurance is included but if not, TAKE THAT INSURANCE! We always do so and last February we had to cancel our expensive trip to Sri Lanka and the Maldives because I was ill. The insurance company has refunded the total amount. <BR>

Old Mar 27th, 2000, 09:50 PM
Myriam

<BR>Clarification: <BR>In my former posting I said "Here in Belgium ..." but I actually mean "When you book with a Belgian travel agency or tour operator an annulation fee ... <BR> <BR>Sorry, but it is still early in the morning ...

Old Mar 28th, 2000, 08:26 AM
scott

Thanks for the Advice. I called today and purchased the insurance. I was glad to find out that I could still do this after the transaction was complete. It cost me 19DM per person. <BR> <BR>Scott