Search

theft in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theft in Italy

I havent seen sny current posts about the theft in Italy that is included in all all the info about traveling in Italy. Is it really as rampant as its said to be? Traveling around the country for 3 weeks with 4 others using trains incl regionals and busses. Should we be scared!!
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 09:44 PM

You shouldn't be scared in Italy at all but very careful and knowledgeable about tactics. I've been targeted many times but was able to foil it by being aware, anticipating it by being perceptive with people and street kids and also being smart about handling my stuff. There were times when I wasn't so aware and got lucky that the theif goofed by choosing the wrong zipper to open(I have a bag that has a trick zipper) or wasn't as quiet in making the attempt. There are theives that are always watching a space and know which tourist to target just like a cheetah knows which animal in a herd to go after. That little brush against you in a bus/train may not be an accident,so know the tactics ahead of time. Theft isn't only in Italy but in high tourist areas. I am not saying to be paranoid and always on the lookout, be normal and enjoy, but just be theif proof and don't look like the ideal target in the first place.
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:23 AM

There does seem to be a group of what seem to be gypsies that hang around the rail station in Florence with small children/babies. Don't let them try to give you a baby to hold, rather a dropped baby than a stolen purse. Their problem with a dropped baby. Just keep on walking if they try to sell you something. I also think some thieves smear ketchup, mustard or other substance on your clothing and distract you by trying to clean it off.
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:47 AM

I solo toured Europe for one month (spent nearly 2 weeks in Italy by myself) using public transportation. I visited Florence, Rome, Venice, Assisi, Volterra, Pompeii, and the Amalfi Coast.

I did not wear a money belt and actually placed my wallet on the outer pockets of my DSLR camera bag; though sometimes I would place it in the inner pocket (facing me). It was a bold gesture.

Other than that, I took the typical precaution of a solo female traveler such as heading back to my hotel before dark (though I was once lost in Venice at 10pm because I went to an evening classical concert), traveled first class on trains, etc.

You will love Italy. Most of my friends who saw my Italy pictures now want to visit that country too! Just look sharp and be alert! Safety-wise, use the same wisdom you would use if you were visiting a US city (NYC, SF, Baltimore, LA)

I never solo toured before and I survived unharmed
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:50 AM

Be especially vigilant on the buses and trains. We thought it would never happen to us but sure enough we at some point had to change cars as we were in the wrong seats and that's when my husband lost his wallet. Within 30 minutes $6,000. on our Visa from 3 different stores. This was between Naples and Rome. Apparently thieves just jump on and off trains and go shopping.
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:01 AM

Micheline, that must have really hurt!

Above poster: I did stay in Naples while I visited Amalfi Coast and Pompeii. While a first class train cannot guarantee 100% safety, it does serve as a deterrent b/c there are fewer passengers and thus less chaotic.

At the very least, that is what I will put my folks on when they visit.
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:17 AM

Be careful in Rome if approached by young women speaking English who ask you to sign a petition. The petition usually deals with drug abuse. These women will ask you for a donation after you agree to sign.

Stay clear of the women. Pretend you don't understand English.

Be very careful of pickpockets if you are anywhere near the major tourist sites of Rome--Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc. NEVER EVER put your wallet in your back pocket.

Also beware of pickpockets on trains and buses in Rome.

Don't look like a tourist. Believe me, if you stand at the Trevi Fountain with gelato cone in hand with camera and open bag, you will be robbed.

If you are a woman OR a man, wear a crossbody bag with zippered inside compartment. Put your wallet in the zippered compartment. Leave your passport in the hotel safe.

Thin
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:01 AM

Several years ago my husband and I were walking along the Arno River in Florence. A few feet ahead of us were a group of young gypsy girls with a baby in tow. We were well aware of their presence as we approached. All of a sudden a newspaper was pushed in our faces while one of the girls had her hand in my husbands right hand pants pocket. Luckily he wears travel pants with a secret zipper pocket which contained our cash and credit cards. While this was a very good lesson for us, next time I'd just cross the street to avoid the confrontation.
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:04 AM

I've been to Rome 4 times, Lake Como countless times, travelled as far down as Brindisi on the train....no theft at any time
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:10 AM

I still cannot get over how aggressive the "woman with the baby" was at the Rome train station. They will do almost anything to distract you.
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:37 AM

Have been to Europe 70 plus times and have never had anything stolen - or even had anyone try that I'm aware of.

The basic rules are the same as at home:

Always keep your hands on your purse or daypack (never just set it down on a chair or counter, no matter how nice the restaurant - keep it on your lap or on the floor with the strap around you ankle and your foot on it)

Don;t stop in the middle of the sidewalk and start pulling maps and guidebook out of your bag - if you need to consult them pull over to the side and stand next to a building

Be aware of your surroundings at all times - and if someone looks like they are sizing you up. move on. Do not allow yourself to be distracted. Be organized and walk purposefully - even if you're not sure where you're going. You can always turn the corner, stop and look at a map if necessary.

If strangers come up to you and try to start a conversation about lost items or things for sale or whatever- simply look straight through them and keep walking - don;t stop,, don;t talk - pretend they're not there. If they are persistent say you will yell for the police (yes, they will understand this). People get in trouble trying to be "nice" - you don;t owe "nice" to random strangers.

If standing on public transit be sure your back is to a wall or door and your purse or pack under your arm.

If you are traveling with a giant backpack on your back - good luck to you - you're making yourself a target for pickpockets.
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:41 AM

Sorry - although I haven;t seen a theft in europe I have seen a woman's bag snatched from the outdoor cafe section of a very pleasant restaurant in Greenwich CT. (An extremely upscale suburb for those not familiar.)

She put her purse on the seat next to her and a kid riding a bike just whisked by and picked it up by the handle as he went. By the time anyone noticed he had already turned the corner and was gone.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:27 AM

To copy the previous posters, crime occurs in all major cities around the world, but they do have a higher rate in destinations that have large amounts of tourists - souther Europoe, Italy and Spain just happen to be two of the most most popular tourist destinations in the world - hence why so many stories of theft problems.

So geting back to your question, should you be concerned. Yes you should, and to the amount of concern that you would have visiting any destination - even right here at home. What you should do is raise your "Traveler IQ" and spend a littel time understaning how pickpockets operate so you can avoid any issues with them before "bumping" into one.

Here are a few resources to help increase your IQ before you go:

The below website might be an interesting visit. This site has several pages dedicated to outlining the specific locations in Italy, Rome, Nice, Milan, all the major cities in Italy where pickpockets operate, and outlines many of the most reported locations in those cities where travelers and government officials report heavy amounts of pickpocketing activity, such as certain churches, monuments, public squares, tourist locations, metro stops, etc.

Additionally the site has several pages of actual videos of pickpockets in action so you can see first hand how they work. Taking a few mins to learn how sneak thieves operate can save you from spending a day at a police station filling out reports and calling credit card companies.

When you go to this page, scroll down to the pickpocket section where you will find the Italy links, as well as the general pickpocket section which also has many in depth videos and tips.

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com...tips/index.php

Hope it helps some folks who might visit Italy, or other cities in Europe..Just keep in mind what a previous writer above noted...pickpockets operate all around the world, many times right here at home...however, do keep in mind the old saying "Pickpockets Love Tourists."
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:25 AM

Pickpockets love people who are careless, disorganized, inattentive and confused. Many tourists fall into that category - either through lack of preparation or just mini culture shock.
They will gladly pick the pockets of locals with the same characteristics.

All you need to to is be aware, alert and careful.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:26 AM

I travelled in Rome om my first solo trip. I didn't get bothered at all but I was also keenly aware of my surroundings. I am not sure if I was paranoid but once or twice I noticed a man sort of sizing me up - I shifted directions and nothing came of it. I took the busses with no mishap.

The rest of the trip I was on a tour - an unfortante incident happened in Florence with a bank machine (to an older couple). I found Florence the most daunting.

I would say be aware but don't let it deter you. I had a magnifiicent time and I would go back in an instant!
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:38 AM

The trouble is if you arrive in Europe after a long, overnight flight, you're going to be jetlagged and dozy for a day or 2. Even if you know the country and the language well. That's why we always take moneybelts. It's less to worry about.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:20 PM

We've never had a problem, in the 20 times we have traveled in Europe, although as other posters here say, we try to be aware of who's around, and we don't carry our valuables in easy-to-reach places.

One blatant theft we saw was about 15 years ago in Amsterdam, when a woman came out of a currency exchange shop (could also have been an ATM station these days) with her money in her hand, reaching to get her wallet to put the money in. Somebody on a bicycle flew by and snatched the money out of her hand! The point here is not to move away from the shop or ATM machine until you have safely put your money away. And zipped the pocket shut.

A friend went to an expensive restaurant in London and kept her good jewelry in her purse, which she put next to herself aas she sat on a banquette. After a while the couple next to them had a big fight, the man got up and stormed out, then the woman ran after him. After they were gone, my friend realized they had staged the fight to distract her, and had stolen her purse. But this can happen in any country.

The nice thing about Europe is that at least you don't get mugged or held at gunpoint.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 03:07 PM

Just returned from a Med cruise. My recommendation is you don't travel anywhere in Europe without carrying your Credit Cards, money, ID, Passports, etc., in an under-the-shirt travel pouch, and that you wear no jewelry other than very cheap watches. Carry only a small amount of cash in your front pocket. I was attacked in Naples, Italy, in a market place just off a main street by a guy and his friend on a motor scooter He was after either my wallet or my watch, not sure which. He did not get them, but he certainly tried. I ended up with a bruised knee and a shin when I fought him off. He approached me from the rear and grabbed my left arm. Apparently with all of the illegal immigrants and the bad economy, things are getting much worse over there. The cops are not particularly interested, as I found out when I found one about a block away. His advice was not to walk in that area any more, and go down to the police station and file a report if I wanted to.
I have traveled all over the world for over 40 years and had never had a real problems until this happened. It all happened so quickly. I just wish I had had the presence of mind to have noted the license plate # of the motor scooter he got away on. At least I could have given the police some information, although it was probably a fake plate anyway.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 03:27 AM

Oh please! What has Naples to do with "anywhere in Europe"? Or with "anywhere in Italy", for that matter? Everybody knows that those scooter muggers are THE specialty of Naples, they have been there since the invention of the scooter (so no "things getting much worse over there"). Since when does that mean that I have to hide my money in Venice, in Gualdo Cattaneo, Umbria, or in Osoppo, Friuli??
And the "illegal immigrants", how do they come into the game? Are you perhaps trying to be a teeny bit racist here? Neapolitans have been robbing naive foreigners since times when there was no illegal immigrant in all of Italy; they really don't need any tutoring by immigrants, legal or illegal, for their thriving petty crime - they're Italy's champions in that industry.
Old Sep 10th, 2010, 03:31 AM

"My recommendation is you don't travel anywhere in Europe without carrying your Credit Cards, money, ID, Passports, etc., in an under-the-shirt travel pouch, and that you wear no jewelry other than very cheap watches. Carry only a small amount of cash in your front pocket. "

You will notice everyone in all European cities do this.

On a more serious note, I've never seen a theft and never use a money belt or under-shirt anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -