Help choosing an apartment in Oia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I would like to visit Santorini in late May/ early June 2008.

I am considering these apartments:

http://www.anemomilos.com/index.html

www.oia-strogili-houses.gr

http://www.zoe-aegeas.gr/engwelcome.html#

Can you tell me a little about the location of these apartments?

I know that the Strogili apartments have caldera views while the anemomilos just have a sea view.

In your opinion, how important is the view? We would like a nice view, but if we can save a little money and still have a nice experience, that would be great.

Also, how soon do I need to book an apartment for late May/ Early June?

Thank you for your help!
Laurie

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 03:09 PM

The Anemomilos Hotel is located at the beginning of Oia right on the road across from the "Oia Market". Strogili is located very close to the Anemomilos Hotel and the "Oia Market" but overlooking the Caldera (obviously on the other side of the road). Zoe-Aegeas is located at the opposite end of Oia, very close to the stairs that will take you down to Amoudi.

I think both views are very nice. How important is the caldera view to you?

Chances are that in late-May/early-June the pools won't yet be warm enough for swimming (they're solar heated only), so if you can do without the pool and also without the caldera view, check the Musses Studios as an alternative to your choices. It's less-expensive than the Anemomilos Hotel and the upper units have an excellent sea view from a nice little balcony. Each unit has a kitchenette, TV, A/C and fridge.

Musses is located closer in to the center of Oia, not far from Laokasti Villas and the Church of St. George, near where the pedestrian-only walkway splits off from the main road.

http://tinyurl.com/2hhavt
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 03:24 PM

I forgot to add that if any hotel you choose won't take your booking now for May, 2008, just wait until after the first of the year and keep trying until you succeed.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Dear Brotherleelove,

I think we are leaning towards the sea view for less money.

The Musses apartments look very nice!

I am from the midwest USA, and when it is in the 80's here, I am ready for a swim.
As I understand it, the weather in Santorini in early June will be in the low to mid 80's. So, I was thinking that a pool may be important. Am I wrong in this thinking?

I truly value your opinion and thank you very much for your help!

Laurie
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I thought of more questions!

Do all of the Musses rooms and apartments have balconies with sea views?

Do the double rooms have a mini fridge or is that just for the studios and apartments?
Thanks again for your help!
Laurie
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 05:20 PM

If the temperatures do reach the 80's then a pool will be a welcome amenity to have at your disposal, no argument.

Only the top floor studios at Musses have a sea view. The bottom floor studios are very nice but the view is blocked.

I do think the double rooms have a fridge, but you can certainly send them an email and ask. The 'rooms' are actually in a separate building next to Musses and are known as the Casa Francesca.

I actually have a few 'so-so' photos of my Musses Studio from 2005. If you let me have your email address I will send them to you. They're not that good but you will get the idea.......
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help, Brotherleelove. I would love to see your photos, but I am not sure how to post my email address in a secure way.

As far as weather goes, is it unlikely that Oia will reach the 80's in late May?

I will email the Musses for more information. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Laurie
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 01:30 AM

If you're going to travel all the way to Santorini, then it's a shame to skimp on the view. In June my husband and I stayed in Villa Delfini - www.delfinivillas.com. We took a room with a caldera view for €56 per night and it was just wonderful. The rooms are tiny but perfectly clean and comfortable, our host Rena was charm itself, and the view was just breathtaking. We spent most of our time on our little balcony just drinking it all in. Treat yourselves a little and go for the view - who knows when you'll be in Oia again!
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 06:00 AM

I have been to oia-strogili houses and they were very nice with nice views. I could also recomend this one: http://www.greekhotel.com/cyclades/s...amare/home.htm with amazing views as well!

i agree with ter2000 that in santorini you have to stay in the caldera!! Staying in the caldera, or just have a sea view is a completely different experience. A sea view, you can have everywhere in the world but a caldera view in very few places. So i would stay in caldera and save money on cheaper meals & other things!
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your input Ter2000 and Christine. You have made good points and we are considering them.

Wow! The Altamare apartments look beautiful. Can you give an idea of what the price range is like on them?

Thanks again for your help! Laurie
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Christine, Where are the Altamare apartments located? Are they within walking distance to the village of Oia? Is there public transportation nearby?

Thank you for your help! Laurie
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 02:48 PM

Alta Mare is in the middle of Oia not far from the village square. The view is sort of one-sided since this hotel faces west into the side of a ridge instead of directly out into the caldera. You still see some of the caldera, but not all of it.

Laurie, if you register with www.tripadvisor.com or with the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree travel forum you can leave me a private message with your email address if you'd still like to see my photos of the Musses Studio. I'm "brotherleelove" on both websites.
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Okay, thanks so much for all your help! My husband says he doesn't mind not having a caldera view, but he really would like to have a pool available.

What do you think about this place?
http://www.allgreecetravel.com/santo...ias-sunset.asp

Thanks again for your opinions! laurie
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 08:34 PM

I don't think much of it at all. There are a lot of places with better locations. The Anemomilos Hotel, which I've already recommended, is a much better hotel, and it's cheaper.

You might also want to take a look at Ether Studios, which has a pool. They're more money but you get a sunset view and it's very quiet in that part of the village.

http://www.greekhotel.com/cyclades/s...ether/home.htm
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 01:16 AM

Hi Laurie,
My family of four recently returned from Santorini. Making the right hotel choice is incredibly difficult. We stayed at Lava Oias in a little tradtional house because it would accomodate our family and we gave up the pool for the caldera view. Ter2000 is absoulutely correct. The caldera view is amazing. Even my 16 year old son said he could just sit on the balcony forever and did not miss having a pool. We spent an inordinate amount of time just looking out to the caldera. What ever accomodation you choose it is worth a little extra money.
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 05:20 AM

Laurie the alta mare apartments i mentioned before are in Oia, close to the bus station, very centrally located.
We went last year and paid 130€ with breakfast in peak season (August). I suppose that in May they will be much cheaper. You can just send them an email through their website for next year's prices and availability. That's how i booked the room with them.

The majority here urges you to stay in the caldera. Trust us on this and you won't regret it. Also, if you have you own balcony with such amazing view you can just buy a bottle of wine, fruits and some food, and save money by not going out on restaurants or for drinks all the time.

Oia strogili houses is at the entrance of OIa, has very nice views, AND a pool that your husband will like.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 01:54 PM

If you're looking for a reasonable price with a pool and caldera view, I would recommend Studios Margarita. I stayed there from May 28-June 2, 2006 ... had the whole place booked for me and my wedding guests. The owner, Margarita, doesn't speak any English really, but is very sweet. The rooms are all nice (I think 3 of them have balconies with a view of the caldera), the place is always clean, and there is a small pool from where you can see the caldera too. I booked it through MagicBlue (which got over the language barrier). http://www.magicblue-santorini.com/s...ls-greece.html (it's the 3rd one).
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jaclyn, I sent them Margarita an email requesting rates for our time period. We are still considering the Strogili houses also.

It seems to take quite awhile before emails answers arrive. I suppose this must be a busy time for them.

Thank you for the recommendation.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 03:44 PM

I really recommend Strogili and a caldera view. We just came back from two weeks in Greece, having spent the last 4 days of June at Strogili. Their prices are very reasonable and you get a caldera view and a pool. The pool is great - one of the best in Oia. In my opinion the caldera view is THE reason to go to Santorini. The sea view is not that great of a sea view since the sea is far from any of the hotels in Oia. I haven't found anything comparable to the caldera view in all my travels. Don't miss out on it.
About the weather in late May/early June. Who knows? You may be able to swim you may not. When we were in Santorini there was an unprecedented heat wave - well over 100 all 4 days.
Have a great time!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Kilgore97-

When you said: "The sea view is not that great of a sea view since the sea is far from any of the hotels in Oia. I haven't found anything comparable to the caldera view in all my travels" did you actually mean the sunset view?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -