Reload this Page >

HELP- Business/Pleasure Combo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 03:13 PM
lisa

Hello. Wife and two small children (ages 3 and 7) planning to tag along on a business trip. Could be our only chance to see Europe for practically free. Our itinerary is hectic and somewhat disjointed (but, it is a requirement that my husband actually perform the work!!) <BR> <BR>ANY advice on the following areas (especially if you feel you can help to make it a better experience for the entire family) would be appreciated. <BR> <BR>Our entire itinerary includes: Finland(Lappeenranta area)(8 days), Hamburg (1 day), Brussels(1 day), Stockholm(1 day), St. Petersburg (2-3 days), Tallinn(1 day), and Munich(6-7 days). <BR> <BR>Some things that I am particularly interested in are: 1. A Boat trip to Stockholm 2. Some type of safe trip to St. Petersburg (I am somewhat afraid of looking like an easy target traveling with two small children.)3. The Salzburg Sound of Music Tour - would the entire family enjoy it?? <BR> <BR>Can't wait to read all of your great advice!!

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 04:41 PM
wes fowler

Lisa, <BR>I think folks here could better serve you if we knew a bit more than you've told us. First, what dates are you traveling? Need to know when the Saturdays and Sundays are to include your husband in activities and when you'll be on your own with the kids. What's your specific itinerary? Heaven help you if you're traveling to cities in the order in which you listed them! Do the number of days you've indicated include travel from your last destination to your next? How will you be traveling, train? auto? both? <BR>What's your arrival point in Europe and your departure point? What are your interests and your husband's? <BR> <BR>I'm sure you didn't expect a response that asked you more questions than you asked us but for meaningful intelligent responses to your concerns without confusing the daylights out of you, we really need to know more.

Old Apr 27th, 2000, 06:51 PM
Lisa

Thanks for your response! I'll be happy to answer as many questions as you and the other experienced travellers have for me!! <BR> <BR>We are using frequent flyer miles - so these routes may seem a bit strange! <BR> <BR>June 16 Depart US <BR>June 17 Arrive in Brussels. Overnight stay in Brussels. <BR>June 18 Brussels to Hamburg to Helsinki by plane. Helsinki to Lappeenranta by train. <BR>June 19 - 22 Work in Laappeenranta. Free time for me and kids. <BR>June 23 - June 25 Free time for all. We are considering taking the Silja Ship to Stockholm and back. Suggestions? <BR>June 26 - 29 Work in Laappeenranta. Free time for me and kids. <BR>June 30 - July 2 No more work from here on. This part is all very flexible. No plans have been made. But, here are some of our ideas. Proposed trip to St. Petersburg. We would love to go! But, I want to feel safe. <BR>July 3 To Tallinn, Estonia Nordic Jet Line(We went last year - and I think my daughter would love it.) <BR>July 4 Option 1 - Take the Silja ship from Tallinn to Rostock Germany. Option 2 - Return to Helsink and fly to Hamburg. <BR>July 5 - 10. Time in Germany. I have distant relatives in and near Munich that I would like to look up. Would like to tour castles. I would also like to see my grandmothers home town of Peiting. And possibly find some of the businesses run by Klein relatives in Bavaria. We are also considering a day or overnight trip to Salvburg. <BR>July 11 Depart Munich for U.S. <BR> <BR>We have 9 free nights that we can use at Scandic Hotels (and Holiday Inns that are in partnership with them). <BR> <BR>Travel plans within Germany can inlude train and auto. <BR> <BR>We love history, museums, folk culture, (we enjoy good food- but, the children don't enjoy waiting!). My daughter is fascinated by castles, jewels, and princess related items. My son (3) loves trucks, dinosaurs, and animals (we all do!). <BR> <BR>I think that answers your first batch of questions!! Please feel free to ask as many as you need to.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 01:53 PM
wes fowler

Lisa, <BR>I'll send you an Email with some suggestions tomorrow. I can't address your plans in Scandanavia but do have some thoughts regarding Germany that may be of interest. In the interim, you might want to consider this. It's about 8 hours driving time and 490 miles from either Rostock or Hamburg to Munich, 6 hours by train from Hamburg to Munich and 8 hours by train from Rostock to Munich (the train goes from Rostock to Munich via Hamburg which results in the additional 2 hours train time). <BR> <BR>Thought I'd respond here in the interim simply to drive your query back near the top.

Old Apr 28th, 2000, 04:58 PM
Anne

Lisa, <BR>Visualize the quality of experience you want to have and remember what travelling with small children can be like. Activity, rest... activity,rest,rest rest. Exploring family history and making contact with distant relatives sounds like it could be rewarding for the whole family. Maybe a distant German cousin could show <BR>you a castle and unfold what like it's like in Germany from a personal perspective. Anyway, its great to have choices. Bon Voyage! <BR>Anne

Old Apr 29th, 2000, 01:33 PM
Lisa

Thanks for your "visualization" advice, Anne. The last thing I want my daughter to remember about the trip to Europe is how grumpy we all were!! Wes Fowler was kind enought to send me some wonderful driving itineraries. I think they will be perfect! <BR> <BR>I am still interested in any advice that other Fodorites have to share. Our itinerary covers a lot of territory!!