Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP - ATMs in Italy - Plus vs Cirrus, which is more accessible

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Maria

I am going to Italy in May. I have been reading this forum for months, and have gathered excellent information. Thank you very much. I have one last concern before my trip, and am hoping someone in this forum can help me. I have heard that there are a lot more Cirrus ATM machines than Plus. Is this true? I'm concerned since I have Plus. Please relate your own personal experiences. I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 12:36 PM
Jane

We were in Venice and Rome 2 weeks ago and used our Plus ATM card everywhere with no problems. You'll be fine. Have a great trip!

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Jim

We were in Rome, Sorrento, Florence and Venice last summer. You could not walk more than a few blocks without seeing an ATM on the Plus system. This year I am not even going to bother to get traveler's checks. The ATM's were SO conevenient, I just took out a small balance every day. Just as easy (and quick) as doing it at home. Have fun.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Ger

Maria:

I have rarely had problems with ATMs when travelling. I have not used Traveller's Cheques for many years but always bring about $100 in local currancy for taxis etc.

I would advise you not to wait until you are down to your last few dollars before withdrawing money, as this is usually when the ATMs decide to act up (your NEED to use technology is inversely related to its availability)! Be careful on Sundays as, if the ATM network goes off-line there are few support personelle available to fix the problem and the banks are not open to get a cash advance on your credit card.

My experience in Rome was that all ATMs I encountered accepted both Plus $ Cirrus. Don't forget that most European ATMs only accept a four digit PIN so, if your PIN is bigger, change it at your bank before you go.

Regards

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Maria

Thank you so very much for taking the time to answer my question. I do have a 4 digit pin which I have used successfully in Europe before, but never in Italy. You answers have certainly alleviated by apprehension. Thanks again.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Mike

Cirrus seemed to be more popular than Plus. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. I'd recommend taking some traveler's checks just in case.