Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help - Al! Or anyone with his info on a guide to WWI battlefields...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:05 AM
arjay

I'm thinking that Al is off in Southeast Asia somewhere...and my e-m crash last week burned all incoming, so I've lost the excellent info he'd given me about a day-trip guide out of Paris, who takes you to WWI battlefields. Hoping someone else has this info and can tell me how to contact this guide? Thanks so much. We take off from here next Weds - can't wait!

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:30 AM
herself

The following is from elaine's Paris file. She has been very quiet since being slammed by a nasty poster. <BR>Hope this helps. <BR>"Advice from Fodor’s posters Oct 2000 <BR>For the D-Day beaches, take the train to Bayeux. Jean-Marc Bacon, whose father runs the hotel De La Gare right across from the station, will take you all around the D-Day beaches, cemeteries, etc. in his van. His English is excellent, and he is a wealth of information about the invasion (he's been studying about it since he was a kid). There is no way to get to the beaches via train; you must drive, be driven, or bicycle. Normandy Tours telephone 31 92 10 70; fax 31 51 95 99. <BR>About $40 pp for virtually the whole day; you can be back in time to catch a train back to Paris." <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:33 AM
herself

Sorry, you asked about WW1, the above is about WW11. Can't read.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:55 AM
arjay

Thanks anyway, herself! If no one comes up with the info, maybe we'll decide to fast-forward twenty years and do the next, LAST great war...

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 08:50 AM
rob

Hi arjay, <BR> <BR>I can point you to the guide I'm about to use for my WW1 tour. His name is Malcolm Carpenter, his URL is http://www.euro-traveller.com/, and his email is [email protected] . Malcolm and his wife own a little farm house in NE France, and provide accommodations and tours of WW1 battlefields. I won't be taking his tour until late March, but his packages include meals and a bed at the farm house, travel to and from the battlefields, and, of course, Malcolm's knowledge. Also, he customizes the tour to meet the tourists wishes (I, for example, am taking a Canadian battlefield tour). <BR> <BR>So far, he has been very accommodating and agreeable. <BR> <BR>I don't know if this is the guide you heard of, but I hope this helps. <BR> <BR>Rob

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 06:57 PM
arjay

Thanks Rob. He's not THE one I had in mind...but sounds like he could be a good runner-up. Thanks for passing on the info.

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 08:05 PM
Prue

We did a tour of the WW1 Battlefields with Malcolm Carpenter in 1999 - he was excellent. As we were all Australian the tour was geared to visit all those places that were most relevant. Sadly, we only had time for a day long tour, but could have happily stayed for several days. He was so enthusiastic and interesting he made it all come alive. I would certainly recommend him if you are not able to find your other name.

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 11:07 PM
greg

This is nothing to do with a day trip, and it is focussed on Australia's involvement in WW1, but the following site has links to quite a bit of information about the western front <BR>http://www.pitt.edu/~novosel/aussi.htm

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 12:48 AM
Mary

Don't know about the guide. But you could always try checking www.usabmc.com. It has its limits, but may give you info on some memorials to see.