Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! Advice on how to get from Seville to Lisbon

Mar 21st, 2001, 06:47 PM
Stephanie

I need to get from Seville to Lisbon without spending over $200. Flights are running over $200 and go thru Madrid. The train must also go through Madrid and appears to be as expensive after it's all said and done. I've read that the bus is 10 hours! Any ideas? Thanks!

Mar 21st, 2001, 08:11 PM
xx

Rent a car for under $100.00. You have to do some looking but, you can find companies willing to let you pick up in Spain and drop in Lisbon. I think we used Hertz.
The drive only takes 6 hours.
Good Luck.

Mar 21st, 2001, 09:14 PM
Rex

Is there any chance that you can re-arrange your trip so that you will go from Lisbon to Sevilla? A certain number of Spanish cars end up in Portugal, and in general they concentrae in Lisbon. The odds of a Portuguese car ending up in Sevilla is not nearly so good. Your odds of not having a BIG drop charge with a car rental are best if they have a car that needs to "go back" to the country where it came from. I had this good fortune once - - and of course, if they have a Spanish car in Lisbon, they really don't care where in Spain you want to return it.

Best wushes,

Rex

Mar 22nd, 2001, 03:02 AM
xx

Totally false, Rex. We did this trip last year, and had a minimal drop charge if we dropped in either Lisbon or Seville. As I said, Stephanie, make some calls and you will find a car can be had easily and inexpensively.

Mar 22nd, 2001, 04:45 AM
Rex

xx - - thank you for the correction. I mean it, seriously. Every "expert" inevitably suffers from the "perishability" of information. My experience was based on a trip in 95 or maybe even 93. It still may be true that there are more Spanish cars in Lisbon then Portuguese cars in Sevilla, if drop charges are rare, minimal or non-existent, then your information is what a person should use.

No one should ever hesitate to correct information that seems to be flat out wrong. Correcting is never the same as attacking.

Mar 26th, 2001, 05:56 PM
Rex

topping again - - as this question remains unresolved - - and I was "accused" of dispensing "totally false" information. Time for "xx" to come forward?

Postscript: If this forum had an easier way to locate and direct readers to a specific (previous) posting by a unique identifier (timestamp), it would not be necessary to top (and repeat) information so tediously. This is my new crusade, and I am thinking about adding this postscript (when applicable) to every new reply I make here. If you agree with me, then please write to Danny Mangin or David Downing - - [email protected] - - and encourage them to move forward with this improvement (and any others they have up their sleeves) to this best-on-the-web travel forum!