HELP!!! 8 days/nights in Ireland...What do I see

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first trip to Ireland,and unfortunately we have only 8 days for sightseeing {total of 10 days,but 2 are travel/flight days}. We've booked 3 nights in Dublin,3 nights in Killarney, and 2 nights in Galway. We'll fly into Dublin and out of Shannon and have a rental car for our stay. We'll be there from June 14th thru the 24th. There is so much we want to see and do, but realize that's not practical. We'd like to know what others think are the "must sees" based on our itinerary.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 02:02 PM

If you're going to Galway you have to go to the Aran Islands.
I'm sure someone help you with the rest. I spent most of my time in the city when I was in Dublin,grabbed a tour bus.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 02:48 PM

There are lots of things to do in all those places. What do you like doing? Outdoorsy stuff like hiking and biking? Beaches? Exploring ancient ruins and churches? Birdwatching? Shopping? Eating and drinking?

Give us some clues, and there are plenty of folk here who can help
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

thanks,tzarinna...we're planning a trip over to the Aran Islands if the weather's right. We'll be using the three cities I mentioned as our base and have no problem wandering farther afield. Dublin's pretty much planned out, with a day trip planned for Wicklow and Glendalough.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

GreenDragon-thanks for replying. I should probably mention I'll be travelling with my 70 year-old mother; so biking and hiking aren't an option, but she's in great health and very active. We're gravitating toward sites that evoke the history and mystery of Ireland. We also want to take part in the local color and culture of the country. Some examples of what we have in mind already... Trinity College and the Book of Kells, the Post Office in North Dublin,Dublin Castle,Ring of Kerry, Muckross House, Dingletown, Cobh, Waterford, etc. We're definately into dining, but want to experience the local flavor with that also. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:02 PM
nbujic

Take DART ( fast city train) in Dublin and go to Howt north on Dublin bay ( 20 min.) and south to Sandy Cove ( also 20 minutes)
Both are great spots, much different than Dublin and much more relaxing.
You can take a small plane to Aran for half a day ,it is worth it!

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 11:15 PM

Dublin: National Museum, Christ Church Cathedral (especially if you can catch a choir practice)

Killarney: Gap of Dunloe through Killarney National Park
http://www.derostours.com/gapofdunloe.h
tml

Dingle and Slea Head drive for sure!

Galway: Dun Aengus on Inis Mor (Aran Island, Connemara tour

Dawn
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

thanks nbujic and 12perfectdays--you've both given me some great ideas. We have Fodor's Ireland guide and are using that as a research tool also
12perfectdays-I,ve been reading through your posted replies to other Ireland travelers and have gotten some great ideas from them also, thanks.

Any other suggestions from all you Ireland lovers out there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:42 AM

I am not an Ireland expert but I am also researching a similar trip. We were planning on spending 3 nights in Kenmare but Michele on www.irelandyes.com is advertising a special rate of euro60 pp for a lakeside room at Loch Lein Country House, so I have reservations there.

We are primarily going for hiking, golf and scenic beauty and from what I read, I don't think 3 nights is too long in Kenmare/Killarney.

We are planning on spending 2 nts in Dingle and 2 nts in Kinsale(my BIL's request). Our first night is at the Shores B&B at Castlegregory--Bill,on this site recommends it highly. I am just in the process now of making my reservations in Dingle and Kinsale--lots of choices.

How wonderful that you and your mother can take this trip together. It will be a memory you can carry with your forever. Have fun planning!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 02:02 PM

The Cliffs of Mohr, Bunratty Folk Park (hokey, but cute).They have a medieval banquet at the Castle. The Burren is unusal. All sites would be on the way to Galway. I, too, think Slea Head is a must. It is beautiful. Stop in as many pubs that play traditional music in the evenings. Not much can beat getting that music in your blood.

Have a great trip. I love Ireland.
Suse
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:04 PM

Oooooo,don't forget to see the Book of Kells at Trinty while in Dublin.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:39 PM
kgw

Definitely fly to the Aran Islands--the ferry is miserable, very choppy, and although the flight is pricier you will arrive feeling great! Have a good time--Ireland is beautiful and people are so friendly.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:40 PM

Don't know how I missed it, maybe in my mind it is such a given but <u>tzarinna</u> just made me realize that I did not write my 2 absolute favorites in my Dublin visit...(maybe I need to sleep instead of post?)
#1 Newgrange
#2 Book of Kells

In Dingle, if you don't want to do the drive yourself- Tim Collins does a popular 1/2 day tour of some of the Slea Head sights. We are trying his tour this year as I must see it one more time.
His email address is below and most B&amp;B's in Dingle and surroundings will know about it.
[email protected]
Telephone 00353669151606

as for the Shores in Castlegregory, we did it on our 2005 trip on Bill's (and a few others) recommendation and it was wonderful! We are heading back again for 2 days there and I am now sending friends off to her as well, enjoy it!

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your responses and suggestions. My mom's an avid history buff, so she has our itinerary pretty much set for Dublin and does include Trinity, nat'l Museum, Christ Church,etc. Thanks for the suggestion of Howth and Newgrange---we're definately going to look into both sites along with Hill of Tara.
If I can talk my mom into it, from what I've read here, the flight to the Aran Islands seems the way to go.
Also the drive to Galway via Dingle, Slea Head and the Burrens seem the way to go.
I've got two more questions regarding our trip. From what I've been reading here, we're wondering if Dublin to Killarney in one day might be too much. Should we stop some where in between for the night and tour there{we were thinking Cashel/Cahir area} or we could even just drive that way and then continue on to Killarney the same day after seeing the sights---or should we drive along the coast through Wicklow and stop for the night somewhere to the south?
Also, what's the best way to do the ROK {my Mom's heart is set on this}? Wher do we start the drive and where should we finish? Do it clockwise or counter-clockwise? Any towns/villages we need to go off and explore along the way?
I need to thank everyone on Fodors for their suggestions and advice. I've gotten such great ideas and advice from this site---please keep it coming. Once we've set our itinerary I'll post it and see what everybody thinks. Thanks Again. Carol
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

okay everyone, I think we have our itinerary pretty well set.

day 1-3 Dublin
day1 arrive and check in, explore Dublin
day2 side trip to either Howth or Glendalough. Meet up with sister and her husband for dinner in the city {they will just be finishing up a weeklong horseback riding trip through the Wicklow Mts}
day3 explore Dublin with sister/husband,pick up rental car

suggestions for where to eat while in Dublin would be appreciated

days 4-6 Killarney
day4 leave Dublin for Killarney via Cashel/Cahir {I've been reading so much about driving times here in the forum I'm not sure about our timetable} dinner in Killarney or nearby vicinity--possibly Kenmare any suggestions?

day 5-Killarney Nat'l Park

day 6- Ring of Kerry

days 7-9 Galway
day7- leave Killarney for Galway via the Dingle Penninsula

day 8 - Aran Islands

day 9 - Cliffs of Moher and the Burren

fly out of Shannon on day 10 [June 24th}

well, there it is...any suggestions or ideas about revising this plan would be appreciated. also suggetions on restaurants/pubs. We want to go eat and go out to places that are more traditional Irish than &quot;Americanized&quot;.

Thanks again to everyone
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 07:34 PM

Hi pcauxle,
You would not want to, nor would you have time to go to Kenmare for dinner from Killarney and back.

There is a trip report thread that talks of the drive between the two. In Killarney, while you may not get a less touristy dinner and pub, there will be other places you will be heading that you will.
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34954918

The drive from Dublin to Killarney via Cashel is long but do-able, especially as you are going in June where you will have light later and having a midway stop. It will be about 3 hours to Cashel, 3 hours in Cashel (Tour &amp; Lunch), 3 hours to Killarney.

I don't think you would be able to leave Killarney and do Dingle and then head to Galway. It will make for a loooong day. If you take the ferry it is only 173 miles it happens to mostly be narrow and slow miles. The 173 miles only includes Dingletown and not a drive around Slea Head which is another 30ish miles of unbelievable sights, stops and wonderful things to see. While not impossible it does make for a long dawn to dusk day all run, run, run. I could easily imagine this day, including Slea Head, lunch and ferry wait taking at least 12-13 hours barring any getting lost, the weather or traffic and skipping a couple stops on Slea Head Loop.

What if you stopped somewhere in between near the Cliffs and did that here on day 7, continue on to Galway the next day and leave for Shannon from Galway on your last day. (It's 55 miles Galway to Shannon airport)

Dawn
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 07:49 PM

If anyone in your group is a history buff you MUST visit Kilmainham Jail. This is where the leaders of the 1916 Easter Rising were held and executed. The jail was closed in the 1960s (I think) and has been restored. There is a fabulous museum about the 1916 prisoners. I was in Ireland for 2 weeks 10 years ago and it was one of the highlights of the trip.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Clareita for responding. I talked to my mother and brother-in-law and that's on both their lists.

Hi Dawn---Thanks for the advice. It's so hard to plan when you're not sure about timing. I've gotten mixed messages [not on this site] about driving times, so am never sure about what can be done in a certain amount of time. That's one of the reasons I am so grateful to everyone on this site. I'm getting some really useful information.

I've gotten my mom to monitor this website and have told her about your last message. We're gonna have to re-evaluate.

Keep the info coming everyone, it really is invaluable Thanks.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Original Poster

Hey Dawn [or anyone else] I almost forgot----what ferry?
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 01:40 AM

http://www.shannonferries.com/index.html

It is the Killimer/Tarbert Ferry you will need. It connects Kerry and Clare without having to go around Limerick to cross the River Shannon. It is a car ferry and actually a rather pleasant break- saves alot of miles as you will see by the above link.

As for drive times, I do not mean to sound discouraging but having done some of it- all of those facinating little nooks and crannies are what slows you down and makes Ireland so amazing!

We drove from Killarney to Castlegregory through Dingletown, Slea Head and Connor Pass and it was a 9-5 day of sightseeing. Now, if the ferry times permit you could continue along, catch the ferry and stay somewhere between Kilkee and Doolin for an overnight as you will have much more daylight than we did in October.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -