Help...6 hour layover, LHR

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from the States, we will arrive LHR 11:45 am, T4.

We leave T1 at 6:35 pm.

Even prearranged, I've found so far Windsor based taxis to Windsor to be 12 pounds each way...so over 50 dollars for transport to a little outing. Still, we would get there and back faster.

There is a bus to Windsor, transfer Slough, I am uncertain how long this takes, maybe 30 minutes. Does anyone know if it leaves from LHR Central Bus station or outside the terminal? I have read it is #77.

Can anyone else provide an idea or two of what else we could do, getting out of the airport during the four or so hours I imagine we have on a six hour layover?

Would Richmond or Kew Gardens on the tube be too far? Thanks for any help you are able to offer.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

bump...and I understand there are no coupons for HEX right now?

It is a shame HEX is so expensive. I certainly preferred it to the tube when I rode it with my half off coupon last year.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 07:04 AM

Why the HEX - it doesn't get you to anywhere you have mentioned
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 07:06 AM

Please take into your layover time the amount of time it takes to get through secruity at LHR. Unbelievable secruity there. We recently flew through LHR from Vienna on our way home to LAX. We were screened at two different check points (along with thousands of other people changing planes like us) had to remove shoes both times, everything removed from my purse and scrutinized, sniffed by the bomb dog, and finally, just before boarding, completley patted down. Our 2 hour layover, turn into about 20 mintues before we finally got on our plane and only because my husband pushed me ahead through the lines. I would have loved to shop at LHR becuase it is huge and has tons of shops that we don't have at home, but there was no time. I really don't think you will have as much time to get out of the airport as you think.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

aLan Row, why be mean? I am considering more than one option. Sometimes I even decide when I get there.

Yes, I have considered we may not have time to leave the airport. Some people leave LHR with six hours, some do not.

I have been at this board since 2000. This is the last question I am ever asking. I am well fed up with being insulted.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 07:22 AM
jay

Giselle, Richmond would be doable. maybe even faster by cab. You could go to Kew or maybe even Hampton Court. My daughter goes to college in Richmond it is a great area.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
what on earth was mean? I had the same question - why mention the HEX if you are interested in Windsor, kew or Richmond?? (The HEX isn't that useful in any case since it only gets you as far Paddington and isn't convenient to many sites)

You will realistically have about 3 hours free if you are lucky. I'd either spring for a cab - or just stay at LHR.