Notices

Heathrow to the Cotwolds, Cheltenham

Old May 23rd, 2002, 01:20 PM
monica

Heathrow to the Cotwolds, Cheltenham

I was wondering if anyone knows of the quickest way I can travel from Heathrow to Cheltenham in the Cotswolds. Thank you very much!!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:14 PM
janis

The shortest route is the M40 to Oxford and the A40 to Cheltenham. The total trip is about 85-90 miles. There can be congestion on Oxford ring road and on the A40 for short distances west of Oxford. But it is still the route I would take.

You could also take the M4 to the M5 (near Bristol) and N on the M5. This route is farther but motorway all the way.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 11:18 PM
Tony

If you are not driving, then Heathrow shuttle bus to Reading, from where there is at least one train per hour to Cheltenham, some direct, but most with a connection/transfer at Swindon.
Journey time from Reading: 95 minutes.
Estimated total journey from Heathrow - under 3 hours.

Old May 25th, 2002, 06:41 PM
nancy

The bus to Reading works really well. If you want to pick up a car, and don't want to drive near Heathrow, look at the Jetlink service(BUS) to Oxford, and get a car there. I have not driven to Cheltenham, so I can't give an exact time, but it would be under 2 hours, I think.

Old May 25th, 2002, 07:19 PM
janis

Actually, whatever you do DO NOT rent a car from Oxford. Even the locals do not often drive in Oxford. That is why the park and ride lots are always so full. There have been 30 years of specific planning to make cars fairly useless in Oxford. Little parking, many streets closed off, thousands of bicycle riders on VERY narrow streets, and serious congestion.

It is actually much easier to pick up a car at LHR than in Oxford. Don't worry, none of the rental agencies are actually on the airport. They are all a few miles away and you take a shuttle bus to the rental lots which are mostly near the motorway. You won't need to drive on the congested airport ring road.

Old May 28th, 2002, 09:53 AM
monica

Thank you everyone who responded to my email. I have decided not to drive and I will look into the shuttle bus from Heathrow to Reading to Cheltenham. I will be staying at The Georgian House. Has anyone stayed there? Thank you again!!!!