Heathrow to Ipswich via train 8 August 2010

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a change of plans as initially we were going to Harwich for a cruise on 11 August 2010. After seeing there is little to do and see in Harwich we have changed plans and now want to go to Ipswich on 8 August 2010 for 3 nights , renting a car, and visit Cambridge, Colchester, Chichester, and other sites. We would like information on train travel to Ipswich ---- OR would it be adviseable to take the train to Harwich and then taxi to Ispwich? Are taxies available in Harwich?
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 10:33 AM

Ipswich is a much bigger town than Harwich and has a more frequent train service. Trains go from London Liverpool Street station at least every half hour.
www.nationalrail.co.uk.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 10:38 AM

Chichester's a bit far for a reasonable day trip.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 11:34 AM

If you were going to rent a car anyway have you considered to rent the car at Heathrow and make your way to the cruise over a few days staying one or two of the three nights different places to see what you want?
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 11:37 AM

Don't want to meddle with your plans, you may have a good reason in wanting to stay in Ipswich, but to be frank it isn't the greatest of places. I was born in Suffolk and it was a place that quite honestly I would avoid if I could. My son has recently spent 6 months working there and he couldn't abide the place either, and the ring road traffic jams and snarl ups are famous throughout the county. Its main claim to fame is the birthplace of Thomas Wolsey.
Colchester has a couple of minor attractions for the tourist, but again not a place I would encourage anyone to spend much time in. Apologies if you are visiting relatives or have a specific reason for wanting to go to either of these towns.
Alternatives would be Woodbridge, a lovely little place. Or Lavenham, a magnificent medieval village of 'Suffolk pink' beamed and thatched houses and superb 'wool' churches.
Don't miss the Sutton Hoo treasure.
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...-suttonhoo.htm
Constable Country - Flatford, East Bergholt etc is also lovely.
www.constablecountry.co.uk
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 11:43 AM

Sorry, meant to add, Bury St Edmunds would also be a good base, although Chichester is nowhere near the other places you mention!
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 12:12 PM

If you have a car, and are visiting Colchester (the oldest town in England so they say), then can I recommend, if you have time, a visit to Paycockes in Coggeshall. http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-paycockes
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 06:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree - there are much better places to stay than Ipswich.

Also - PQ may have confused you on your other thread. You will 100%/definitely/certainly not be visiting Chichester from Suffolk. It is way over on the south central coast of England. It is no where near Suffolk/Norfolk/Cambridge.

So drop that idea.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

We are going first to Ipswich for renting a car , 3 nights hotel stay in Ipswich and then drive to interesting towns in the area. I checked on the computer and did not locate a rental agency in Harwich. Our plans are to take a taxi back to Harwich for the cruise on 11 August.

Re: train to Ipswich from Heathrow. Do we go to the Liverpool Lime Station or is there another more convenient station?
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 11:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>Do we go to the Liverpool Lime Station </i>"

NO!!!!

You want Liverpool <u>Street</u> station in London.

(Liverpool Lime is waaaaaaay up in NW England in <i>Liverpool</i>. Several hundred miles out of your way)
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 11:09 AM

Liverpool Lime station is in the city of Liverpool. The station you want is Liverpool Street in London.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 01:21 PM

And it's not Liverpool Lime, it's Liverpool Lime STREET. That's not a word to leave out in the UK.
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 07:55 AM

Well, I've said my bit about Ipswich above, still think it is a poor call to spend your precious time there for 3 nights, even if it is a base to travel. I lived in the area for the first 25 years of my life and hopefully have given you a more informed view of the town than those who pass through once, but there you go, your decision. There are worse places of course, but equally there are so many more better ones within easy reach and suitable for your requirements - again as I mentioned above.
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 08:17 AM

Well, Ipswich is certainly a convenient destination by train and may be a good place to pick up your car
However, I agree with other people who say that it is a bit of a dump. A lot of the nicer older bits were knocked down in the 60s.
Why not pick up your car and find a nice hotel in somewhere like Lavenham or Bury Saint Edmunds to spend your three nights?
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 08:57 AM

Lavenham and Bury St (NEVER Saint) Edmunds already suggested above along with Woodbridge. I can suggest lovely places to stay in Lavenham and Bury (as it is always known locally), and nice restaurants to eat out in the evenings in all 3.
Can't do the same for Ipswich!
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 10:19 AM

The Bistro on the Quay in Ipswich has good reviews and I think that there are one or two other decent places in the dock area.
That part of the town has become quite pleasant in recent years.
I do know about Bury because I was born in Ipswich (for my sins).
The Saint was the "fault" of my Firefox spell-check although it was a rather venial sin.
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 10:22 AM

I know everyone means well, but I have found that some recommendations given by natives of Great Britain are often places I did not enjoy.

The last one was Whistable.
The time before that was Brighton and Scarborough.

And yet another, Bridington.

I have found that many old resort towns need a make over especially those with rides and amusement piers.
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 11:20 AM

Ah, but when the natives (especially the Suffolk natives, the excellent Miss Prism and myself) are warning AGAINST a place then perhaps that is the time to take heed? So many lovely Suffolk places to choose from, and we've done our best to point the OP in their direction.
Miss P - I get probably irrationally irritated when my home town is called Bury Street Edmunds, or Bury St Edmonds!
Agree about Bridlington, any charms are lost on me. Quite like Scarborough (I live in North Yorkshire), wouldn't want to see that place with too much of a make over as I like its old fashioned appeal but you have to dig a bit to find it. I've had some great day trips there, once travelling by the original Flying Scotman from York, what a day that was. I love riding on the open top buses, paying my respects at Anne Bronte's grave, eating fab fish and chips, getting wind and sand blasted ............
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 08:04 AM

To get from Heathrow to Ipswich by train, you'll take the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station, a taxi or the tube (subway) from Paddington to London's Liverpool Street Station, and then a train to Ipswich. Or you can take the tube from Heathrow to Liverpool Station, changing lines en route.

The above would be complicated by carrying the amount of luggage you need for a cruise. That's why I second Laurie_Ann's suggestion of picking up your rental car at Heathrow.

Depending on when you arrive and how long your flight was, you may want to spend a night near the airport before doing much driving (especially if it's on the other side of the road). Most flights from the US are overnight; you won't sleep much so will be tired as well as jetlagged. You could stay near the airport, then pick up the car the next morning.

Or, I suppose, you could take a taxi or airport shuttle from Heathrow direct to Liverpool Station. Now that I think about, this last might be your best option. Easy with the luggage and you wouldn't waste a night near the airport or pay the airport rental car surcharge.
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 08:21 AM

"Heathrow direct to Liverpool Station. "

There's just no point, is there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -