Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Heathrow To Bloomsbury (New Train or Bus)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 1998, 10:05 AM
Rob & Nicole

Hi! We're arriving in London on a Friday around noon and are looking for the most simple and economical transfer to our hotel in the Russel Square area. I've been reading about the Airbus, taxis and tube from Heathrow, but the tube seems a little difficult with luggage and cabs sound really expensive from the airport. Recently I've heard of a new fast train into the city centre but I have no idea on what my options are to get from the train station to the area that we're staying. Bus, train or tube? Any tips? Thanks!

Old Mar 22nd, 1998, 04:57 PM
Tia

If you have a lot of luggage, then yes, you might want to choose taking the Airbus to Russel Square. It's about 6pounds one way or 10pounds round trip per person. The Airbus will take about 1 1/2 hours. If you only have maybe one large luggage (plus a handcarry) per person, then it would be alright for you to take the tube. The tube is faster than the Airbus, and for you, it would be even more convenient because there is a direct link from Heathrow to Russell Square (take the Picadilly tube line). It will take you about 45minutes on the tube and cost you 4.3pounds per person. Another good thing about taking the tube, is that you're tube pass will also allow you unlimited rides on the tube for the rest of that day in all zones. The high speed trains that will run from Paddington Station to Heathrow will take only 15minutes, however, that does not take effect until June 1998. I just got back from London and it was my first time there. I took the tube and it was very easy and convenient. There are lots of people on the train with luggage, so unless you've tons of bags, I would say to take the tube. Have fun and don't forget to visit Windsor Castle! Beautiful!

Old Mar 22nd, 1998, 05:01 PM
tia

If you have a lot of luggage, then yes, you might want to choose taking the Airbus to Russel Square. It's about 6pounds one way or 10pounds round trip per person. The Airbus will take about 1 1/2 hours. If you only have maybe one large luggage (plus a handcarry) per person, then it would be alright for you to take the tube. The tube is faster than the Airbus, and for you, it would be even more convenient because there is a direct link from Heathrow to Russell Square (take the Picadilly tube line). It will take you about 45minutes on the tube and cost you 4.3pounds per person. Another good thing about taking the tube, is that you're tube pass will also allow you unlimited rides on the tube for the rest of that day in all zones. The high speed trains that will run from Paddington Station to Heathrow will take only 15minutes, however, that does not take effect until June 1998. I just got back from London and it was my first time there. I took the tube and it was very easy and convenient. There are lots of people on the train with luggage, so unless you've got tons of bags, I would say to take the tube. Have fun and don't forget to visit Windsor Castle! Beautiful!

Old Mar 23rd, 1998, 08:10 AM
roger

Having gone via taxi, tube, and bus I would opt for the Airbus simply because you get a great view of London from the top of the double decked bus. You pay when you board and you have the option of purchasing a round trip or one way ticket. If you elect to take the Airbus be sure to get on the A2 bus as this one goes to Russell Square. If you take the A1 bus you will end up at Victoria Train station. I believe the new fast train from Heathrow to Paddington station begins in July. I look forward to this new service.

Old Mar 31st, 1998, 09:09 AM
Stacy

Hi. Actually, good news. The fast train from Heathrow to Paddington is up & running. It takes 30 min. each way. You shuttle on a bus from Heathrow to the train, 15min. then its an additional 15min. to Paddington. It will only take 15 min. total in June 1998 because they will upgrade. The website for this service is:
www.heathrowexpress.co.uk
We'll be utilizing this service in two weeks! Yippeee!!! cant wait!! Happy Travels!