Reload this Page >

Heathrow Express

Search

Heathrow Express

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:16 PM
John

Heathrow Express

Seems like from what I've read on postings that the Heathrow Express is pretty easy to deal with. As we'll have an 8 day Britrail pass and we're staying for 9 we may as well use it. When I look at the Airport layout it looks like when you fly in from the US you just go through customs and then the Heathrow Express counter is just to the right as you exit, then you go down and get on. Is it really that easy?? We will still have to take a taxi from Paddington to the Westminster area hotel we have. Thanks for any advice.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Geoff

Are you sure the pass covers Heathrow Express? I'm definitely not.<BR><BR>The express is that easy, and it's that quick. But it's also one of the more expensive ways to get there, particularly if you also still have to go all the way to Westminster via taxi.<BR><BR>The air bus to Westminster is probably as easy since it's direct to Victoria Station, certainly a lot slower, but also a lot cheaper. It's up to you but you do have choices.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Love

Geoff,<BR>Are you kidding? the difference is what, about $5.00? After 8-9 hour flight you want to suffer on some bus for another hour? Heathrow 15 min. and you are there. Yes, John will spend extra cash on taxi, but it's probably the best $10 you could spend at that moment. I don't know about anybody else, but the only thing I want to do once we land, is to get to my room quickly, shower and chill out for few.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 07:57 PM
janis

Two things - The padding Express is not covered by your BritRail Pass - at least it wasn't last year. You may want to double check w/ Brit rail.<BR><BR>And the AirBus no longer serves the southern route via Victoria. Now there is only the Northern route to Kings Cross which is not convenient for you. <BR><BR>If it is only two of you take the Paddington Express and then the tube or a taxi to your hotel. Whether you should take a taxi really depends on the time of day. if it is early AM you will have to queue a LONG time for a cab since Paddington is a major commuter hub.<BR><BR>If there are more than two of you, it is probably cheaper to reserve a car service to pick you up at the airport - they will drop you right at your hotel. No Luggage schlepping which is a major advantage.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 08:22 PM
John

Yes, it is important to us (2) that after getting to SFO 2 hrs ahead of the flight, then a 10 hr flight, then going through customs, that we get to our hotel asap. When we came 10 years ago we did the coach to Victoria Station but I hear that it could be really slow depending on traffic. I just checked the Britrail site again and they indeed say that my Britrail Pass is good on the Heathrow Express (it's written boldly in red no less) but we have to remember to get it validated at the ticket counter before we hop on the train. Also thanks for the advice on the crowds at Paddington as we are planning a couple day trips out of that station.