Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HEADED FOR ITALY FOR 2 WEEKS, WHAT DO I PACK??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 1998, 11:39 AM
Emily Copeman

Our family is headed to Italy for 2 weeks in August. This trip will be the first time for my brother and I, and our parents have left it up to us to pack for ourselves. Being a 15 year old girl (and the prime example of a teenaged-girl) my inclination is to pack every article of clothing I have, but I am also reluctant about carrying bags, not having a laundry machine etc. I hope to limit my eventual/final belongings to ONE BAG (yikes!!) so I am more than anxious for the opinions of other travelers on what to bring, and?or tips on narrowing down packing. <BR> We'll be visiting Rome, Venice, Tuscany, and Florence for 14 days in August. PlEaSe HeLp!!!! Thanks!!

Old Jun 28th, 1998, 01:53 PM
Platt Allen

Just returned, very hot already. Temperatures are in the high 80s low 90s. <BR> <BR>For packing, shorts and lightweight shirts during travel days. long pants or skirts on days you visit any church or cathedral - many also require that a woman's shoulders be covered. Best advise is to carry a scarf or a lightweight long-sleeved tshirt. <BR>Pack shoes that are very comfortable - forget the platforms - most of the streets are cobblestone and very uneven. Street hickers are a good choice, something with a sturdy sole. <BR>Clothing does not dry very quickly in Italy - too humid. So don't plan on washing things in the sink in the morning andhave them dry in the evening. It usually takes a couple of days to get things dry - but this is a good option for underwear and socks. <BR> <BR>I would also include sunscreen and a hat that shades your ears, nose, and neck. The sun in Italy is strong so you could quickly burn. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. if you have specific questions, e-mail me and I will do my best to help you out. <BR>Enjoy, Prego. <BR>

Old Jun 29th, 1998, 06:16 AM
ole falk

All you need is your pills nad plenty of dollars <BR> <BR>Ole

Old Jun 29th, 1998, 12:53 PM
Abbie

Emily--we also just returned from Italy and in the very warm weather I was glad I packed a couple sundresses. Everywhere I went I thought the Italian women dressed really well, even stylish. But, the main thing to think about is being comfortable in your clothes, so decide if you want to go for style or comfort -- maybe a combo of the two? Girls your age in Rome were wearing the same stuff I bet you wear, jeans, nice t-shirts and really, really high-soled shoes. They didn't look the least bit comfy, and if you're doing a lot of sight-seeing, don't ignore the advice about good walking shoes. I wore Teva leather sandals the entire trip and they were perfect. I'll give you the best packing advice I ever recieved... "Lay out everything you want to take on your trip and then put away half of it."

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 11:40 AM
Cathryn

Our family just returned from Italy and had a terrific time! I would skip the jeans--way to hot, heavy and bulky to pack. I found mid-calf light-weight cotton print skirts to be perfect. They are much cooler than pants and didn't show <BR>gelati stains (floral prints, dark background). The Italian women and girls don't wear shorts.Three skirts, a sundress, and 4 tops will do it if they all coordinate. Short sleeve T's will get you into churches and cathedrals--but not sleevless. I had a short sleeve open crochetted cardigan style "sweater" that I could put on when needed. Very light. <BR>The cobblestone streets and marble floors do take their tole on your feet--so select shoes carefully. We found that T's usually dried in 12 hours. Underwear faster. Bring a length of nylon rope for a clothesline, a small plastic sqeeze bottle of liquid detergent/soap, and a couple of plastic clothepins.If you wring out the T's, roll them in a towel, and then give them a shake out over the tub before hanging, they'll dry pretty fast. Anyway--travel as light as possible. You'll be glad you did! We all took one backpack each for 12 days. ( Mom, Dad, 14 yr old and 11 yr old) Have FUN!!!

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 05:48 PM
Joann

Most of the above advice is very good. Don't take shorts or jeans to Italy - shorts are too bare and jeans too hot. The advice about long skirts is great. You might consider one of the lightweight twin sweater sets (all stores have them) - the cardigan could be looped around your waist until you need to enter a church. Cole-Haan makes a variety of good looking and comfortable sandals. Plain t-shirts are best and, if you run out, buy some souvenir ones. Pack light and have a great time!

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 07:33 PM
Bee

Just got back from Italy. I spent 2 weeks there 0 Rome, Venice, Florence, etc. The weather was varied - some days it was hot and sunny (80s) and other days it rained!!! I agree with everything everyone said here but you might want to take a small umbrella and/or maybe a plastic raincoat (I bought an "emergency" disposal one at a travel supply store) in case there are sudden rain showers. I don't know if that ever happens in August in Italy but boy, I was sure glad I brought both items with me because I got caught in a downpour one day and they came in handy!! <BR> <BR>Comfortable walking shoes are a MUST!!!! You will be doing a lot of walking through cobblestone streets and the soles of your shoes must be thick to withstand them.

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 07:40 PM
Sarah

Hi, I was so excited to here that your going to Italy. I just got back 2 days ago from a trip to Venice. It was extreamly warm, 106 F, my mother and I ended up spending a couple of hours a day in our hotel room with the air conditioner on full blast. I totally understand about your packing dilemma. Being 17 myself, I had a hard time fitting everything I thought I needed in my 1 suitcase. What I definatley recommend is shorts, but not cut-offs. My GAP khakis were my favorites. Also nice tanktops, I took my tie-died one and found it was a little to casual. But if you are planning to visit any churches or cathedrals, you have to wear something very nice, (no tanktops or in some cases no shorts). So bring a nice dress (rayon is a good cool fabric). And don't over pack on shoes. That was my problem. I lived in my birkenstocks, I didn't wear anything else, it was too hot!! I wish you luck and hope this helps a little. <BR>

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 07:46 PM
Sarah

Hi, I was so excited to here that your going to Italy. I just got back 2 days ago from a trip to Venice. It was extreamly warm, 106 F, my mother and I ended up spending a couple of hours a day in our hotel room with the air conditioner on full blast. I totally understand about your packing dilemma. Being 17 myself, I had a hard time fitting everything I thought I needed in my 1 suitcase. What I definatley recommend is shorts, but not cut-offs. My GAP khakis were my favorites. Also nice tanktops, I took my tie-died one and found it was a little too casual. But if you are planning to visit any churches or cathedrals, you have to wear something very nice, (no tanktops or in some cases no shorts). So bring a nice dress (rayon is a good cool fabric). And don't over pack on shoes. That was my problem. I lived in my birkenstocks, I didn't wear anything else, it was too hot!! I wish you luck and hope this helps a little. <BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 09:19 AM
Caryn

Emily--I understand your dilemma. But there are two kinds of travelers: Those who packed light and those who wish they did. As per the previous advice, lay everything out and put half away. If you're not sure your going to wear it, you probably won't. Of course you want to look good, so do I. Just be sure that everything you bring matches with everything else. Also, remember that you may want to buy things there. So bring EVEN LESS clothes and bring EVEN MORE money! (Don't get me wrong, I don't recommend you spend hundreds of dollars). I personally bring sneakers or other walking shoes and a pair (or two, I have to admit) of sandals to look nice. Jeans look good but may be uneccessary to carry when it will be so hot there. Do you wear them at home during the summer? If not, you will not wear them there. <BR> <BR>Here is whole website dedicated to packing:www.oratory.com/travel/ Also see www.ricksteves.com <BR> <BR>Good luck and have fun!

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 01:20 PM
kam

Italy is always hot and humid and I've been in some terrific rain storms, but just find a museum and stay inside till it stops or buy a cheap umbrella. One more suggestion-----I'm literally old enough to be your mother, but travel a lot and don't like to dress like an old lady. Italians dress very well---the long print skirts are a great idea. Also, bring a sundress that you can wear a plain Tshirt underneath for churches or cool days. Choose black, brown or blue as your basic color and everything must coordinate with that. Nordstrom's makes their own brand of sandals that are comfortable enough for day and pretty enough for evening---I have them in black as that's my color! Also Bali makes underpants that are kind of like mesh material---they dry very fast and they come in several styles. You don't ask about hair, but plan a very simple style---ponytail a lot--and remember if you need a hair dryer make it a small one, dual voltage (400 watts is about the most you can use without blowing circuits) and get an adaptor plug that you know will work! Bring sunscreen and Lancome makes something called "eau de bienfait" which is a face cleaner--just spray on Kleenex and wash your face when you're feeling especially grubby! Have a great trip. Ciao! <BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 02:25 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

BOB’S BLURBS: FOR THE SAVVY EUROPEAN TRAVELLER <BR>============================================== ====== <BR> <BR>MONEY MATTERS: * Use your credit card for everything---great record, good exchange <BR> * Get your cash at local ATMs---prefer CIRRUS or PLUS network <BR> * Take TRAVELLERS CHECKS as back-up only <BR> * Double check your credit card coverage on rental car <BR> insurance[CDW] for your specific countries---do not assume. <BR> <BR>TRAVEL TOOLS: Basic travel tools include the Michelin green book as your guide, <BR> the Michelin country map for routing, and the Michelin orange <BR> series map[400k to 1] for the primary area of your trip. Also: <BR> * swiss army knife/corkscrew * currency calculator <BR> * adapter plugs/round outlets * extra camera battery <BR> * copies of travel documents * extra reading glasses <BR> <BR>PACKING STRATEGY: The experienced traveler learns quickly the basic principles of <BR> smart packing. The following will keep you out of trouble: <BR> * Each person must be able to manage their own bags <BR> * Take only 2 bags---a primary one with wheels that you will check, <BR> and a carry-on that contains all of your essential items. Assume <BR> that you may have to live out of the carry-on bag for 3 days. <BR> * Pack a canvas tote bag to hold the goodies you buy in Europe <BR> * This is not a style show---leave your pink hot pants at home. <BR> However, do plan your outfits around one basic color, and don’t <BR> be afraid to wear the same outfit 3 days in a row[not underwear]. <BR> * Pack like items in seperate plastic sweater bags[socks, underwear] <BR> * The most important items to take include the best water-tight <BR> walking shoes you can buy, a rain coat, and a tennis warm-up or <BR> sweats for that night your hotel room is at 62 degrees. <BR> <BR> <BR>ESSENTIAL VOCABULARY: Of course, buy a phrase book and learn the basic greetings and <BR> key words. Here are a few that I find very helpful: <BR> * dove la toletta [ where is the toilet ] <BR> * quanto costa [ how much does it cost ] <BR> * mille grazie [ thank you very much ] <BR> * il conto [ the check---you will need to ask ] <BR> * coperto [ the cover charge at bottom of menu ] <BR> * aperto [ open---as in a shop or museum ] <BR> * gelato [ a national treasure and required daily ] <BR> <BR>THE GOLDEN RULE--IT IS THEIR COUNTRY, YOU ARE MERELY GUESTS---SHOW RESPECT! <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 08:29 PM
Isabel

BOB THE NAVIGATOR: What are your recommendations for the "best water-tight walking shoes"? Thanks.

Old Jul 4th, 1998, 12:12 PM
Emily Copeman

To everyone who replied to my forum--> Thank you so much for your advice!! I have created a list for my family of essential items to bring with us and we have narrowed down our "stuff" to 4 bags for the whole family (believe me--this is a miracle straight from God) and can trust we won't be forgetting AnYtHiNg!!!!! Thank you all for your time and effort! -Emily-

Old Jul 4th, 1998, 12:33 PM
freckleboy38

hi em its you no who i just think you should pack lite and dont bring to much dressy clothing and bring some money so you can bye some stuff for my <BR>freind (freddy) anyway i hope you have a really great time. from <BR> freckleboy38