Have you used priceline.com?

Nov 12th, 2001, 02:49 AM
Fredy

Have you used priceline.com?

Is this a reliable way to buy airline tickets? If you've used it, do you have any comments? Thank you.

Nov 12th, 2001, 03:26 AM
Maira

Yes I have used Priceline.com for tickets and hotels as recent as August with no complaints. The only complaint I would have (which may bear no relevance to your situation) is that some flights schedules could be a bit better; case in point, I bought a ticket for my mother and she arrived late at night. Other than that, if you are not flexible on your dates, your bid price may have to be higher.

A nice poster (Dianne W?) posted a while back a website that offers an insight on how to bid on priceline. Definite read before going into the bidding process.

http://pub4.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding.html

Good luck!

Nov 12th, 2001, 03:35 AM
John

Priceline is very reliable but the schedule for flying is not always the greatest. I have found Priceline to be excellent for hotels and car rentals. You might want to try Hotwire.com. Hotwire is like priceline in the case that you don't know the schedule until you buy, but with Hotwire, they tell you the price up front. You don't need to bid and wait. Also, you might want to try Orbitz.com. All they major airlines are listed on that site.

Nov 12th, 2001, 04:48 AM
Dan

I've used it, and I saved alot on airline tickets. You need to be flexible though since you may get an early morning or evening flight. There is another service out there, I think it's called you bid it, or something like that, where they will at least let you specify travel for the first half of the day or the second half. I've never used it though.

Nov 12th, 2001, 07:52 AM
Ann

I've used it for flights once, and had no problem. I did, however, get a flight that took longer than the route I would normally take. I had the same amount of connections, but instead of flying to London like I normally and do and transferring to Belfast, I flew to Brussels and then on to Belfast.

As posters above have said, it's great if you're flexible. Otherwise, it's causes more problems than it's worth.

Nov 12th, 2001, 09:08 AM
cj

We have used priceline.com and got the dates and time that we wanted at a wonderful price. That was the good news. The bad news is - when we got to our first layover we were asked if anyone wanted to take a bump. My husband and I talked about it and we would be arriving an hour and a half before me. He went ahead, got the car and luggage and we were happy campers. I got a free ticket. What a great way to start a holiday. Horrible news is, the very next day we had the trunk of our car broken into Everything was in my husbands briefcase, the coupon, our airline tickets and our whole life was stolen along with luggage etc. Our main concern was to get new tickets.

Because we bought the tickets on priceline.com we had to pay full price when they reissued us our return tickets and I was out a voucher. We did what we had to do, that goodness that we were able to pay the full price for our return tickets.d Once we got home we phones the CEO of the airlines. He said the the priceline tickets really should not be reissued, but he did give us our money back minus $75 service charge. We were thrilled with this and never pushed the stolen voucher. This happened last February and we still have not settled with the insurance company. So Freddy, you can get tickets cheap, but hold on to them for dear life. They are a precious commodity.

Nov 12th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Larry

Another thing to be aware of is Priceline's policy if you show up late for your flight. The policy is that you are out of luck. The ticket is worthless just as if you didn't have a ticket. You'll be forced to buy a 1 way super high priced ticket if you want to fly that same day.

Nov 12th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Sarah

484 round trip to Honolulu from Philadelphia Aug 00 could not get the same price Aug 01 (699 continental one week sale). Regular rates for that time of year span between 1000-1500. Check out travel1.com for rates remember travelocity is owned by major airlines so discounts will not be so significant, similar rules apply to expedia although I think they are owned by microsoft. Cheap tickets and Travel1 have always worked well for me.