Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have you had a memorable european MTV experience?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 07:16 PM
Stephen

Hello there, I just read a post by Richard in which he commented on enjoying MTV in Rome. It reminded me of Amsterdam last year at this time. We stayed in a canal house hotel on the Singel near the flower market. It was the end of a 16 day trip and we were starting to wind down and look forward to our own beds. Looking for something familiar we turned on the TV and happened on MTV. Now, we dont watch MTV here in the USofA but it was great over there! It was so much different, so much more colorful, and as we watched late at night with the sounds of the disco near our room - well those of you who have fully enjoyed know the feeling! We had been to London, Paris, and several daytrips between. Saw the museums, all the sites, had a great time, yet this canal house hotel MTV still was more than memorable. Does anyone have a favorite MTV experience similar to ours or was I just fully wasted?

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 10:40 PM
wendy

I watched Cal Ripken break Lou Gerhig's record on International CNN in Spain. I was misty-eyed, especially when I realized that I was going to miss the World Series.

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 05:25 AM
Erin

In some countries, the only English spoken on TV is on MTV. In Paris, our hotel had limited cable, so even CNN was in French. Our choice was either watch Urkel in French or MTV. I don't watch either one here, but MTV sounded a bit more appetizing. By the way, on MTV we were able to see videos for songs that haven't been released in the US. Like George Michael and Mary J Blige singing an old Stevie Wonder song and Bryan Adams and Sporty Spice doing a duet. Hmmm...maybe there's a reason why these haven't made it to our shores...

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 07:52 AM
Richard

The funny thing avbout MTV in Europe (i saw it in Italy) is that they actually play MUSIC VIDEOS! even though we barely speak Italian we found ourselves pasted to the tV screen watching the 'VJ's" especially Danielle (Italian MTV), who was very animated and seem to be enjoying himself without giving alot of attutude. MTV in Europe is also a great way to see what is happining with all the new music in Europe which sometime becomes trends a year later in the US. I actually became very fond of an Italian artist named Jovanotti Lorenzo. He is an Italian pop rapper. His music is great but not really like Rap in the US. <BR> <BR>Anyway, it seems odd to watch MTV while visiting Europe but the music, both from Europe and the US, they played help me to remember my trip and brings back good memories.

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 09:15 AM
elvira

"Foreign" TV is always entertaining; I watched a basketball game, Bulls/Lakers, in Bordeaux, and discovered there is no translation of "traveling" (the french announcer just added a "le" in front of it) and nothing like hearing Michael called "l'AIIIIIIRRRR zhorrrrDDDDANNN!" <BR>Mission Impossible in French, KITT speaking French. We like MTV because it's a snapshot of what's going on in the country (Spanish TV and Italian TV in Malta). In the privacy of our room, we sing along with MTV in whatever language is being broadcast, killing ourselves with how silly we sound. <BR>And, Stephen, there is something surreal about juxtaposing 12th century cathedrals on top of MTV.

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 02:38 PM
Richard

You havent seen anything until you have seen 'Mad About You' dubbed in Italian!

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 03:41 PM
s.fowler

Or heard Jean Luc Picard say "Engage" in Czech! [Or watched the Simpsons with Macedonian, i.e cyrillic, subtitles!] <BR>

Old Jun 11th, 1999, 09:27 PM
wendy

I may be old, but I remember when MTV played videos... <BR>The strangest (and worst) thing I ever saw was the movie Patriot Games dubbed in Spanish. James Earl Jones just isn't the same without his voice.

Old Jun 12th, 1999, 11:44 AM
topoftheworld

'Seinfeld' in german. Funny, but not quite the same. Wendy has a point, <BR>about 'the voices being different...' <BR> <BR>Jean Luc says 'Engage' in Czech? What did he say, 'UnCzech?' <BR> <BR>A german basketball fan expressed his admiration for 'Chorton.' Pint of bier <BR>later, I got it.

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 12:36 PM
Hoodfi

Yes, I have. In 1986, while attending Kossuth Lajos university, I was interviewed by MTV- Magyar Televizio. <BR>

Old Jun 17th, 1999, 12:22 PM
David

Although not MTV related, a couple months ago I was in Paris and saw "Married With Children" in French. It was funnier in French ,because I couldn't understand it. See ya-

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 06:43 PM
Lesley

We saw a lot of rental movies last year when we went to Norway for 3 weeks. I remember listening to the American English and looking at the Norwegian subtitles and how few words were listed and thinking,"Is that it?" Is Norwegian so concise that an American can go on and on for 5 minutes and the norsk translation took 10 words!

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 03:37 AM
Tony Hughes

Lesley... <BR> <BR>there are so few words in Norwegian subtitles because English has encroached so far into Scandanavia nowadays that the tv/video company assume most Norwegians know what a 'pizza' is or what 'car' means or whatever so they dont bother to translate the word (assuming there is a direct translation for it)