Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have you ever been surprised to find out you personally know another poster?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2003, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If so, were apologies or explanations necessary?
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 09:05 AM
dln

Well, my mother posts here and on another travel forum we both use, but I know her! And she never feels the need to explain or apologize when her opinion on the same post is different than mine, that's for sure.

Old Nov 26th, 2003, 10:24 AM

No, but I was tickled to MEET another poster at breakfast in Rome last April! It's a small Fodor's world!
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 10:29 AM

Susanna from my Italian class posts here and we've both behaved admirably.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 10:58 AM

Once, I casually mentioned in a post that I had a friend in Florence who was an art history professor at the university there. I received an email the next day from a woman who posts here saying that her daughter was in this man's class the previous year. Small world. My sister lives in Cambridge, Mass., as does Mimi Cigalechanta. I am sure they have passed each other on the street or even sat next to one another in a restaurant and not even know it. That seems eerie to me.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 11:09 AM

My son is a semi-regular here, but we alway agree on everything.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 11:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Last year I read a post that looked an awful lot like a trip my daughter's had just taken.

Of course, when I read the name at the top it turned out to be her.

Old Nov 26th, 2003, 11:31 AM

Once, back when the posters email would appear, I noticed the suffix of one of our business operations depts. I posted back and said I would meet the girl in our hallway and give her some travel books! That was kind of fun.
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 11:53 AM
rex

I have twice been told by people in "real life" something like "oh, I see you post this'n'that" on the Fodors forum - - once by someone I had known for a long time (when I hadn't seen in her a while), and once by someone I was just freshly introduced to.

They both launched directly into asking my advice about something or other. Like no transition was necessary.

And of course, I intentionally GOT to know six other people, and put together the "Fodorites 2001 Italy trip" (not all "met" directly through this forum).

Still hope to do something like thjat again in the future.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 12:23 PM

Several years ago in Turkey we were sitting around Esbelli Evi in the afternoon with our wine. One young female guest asked if anyone knew about a certain hotel in Istanbul because they were supposed to stay there the next week, but she had discussed on the internet a comment it wasn't so good. I asked if it was Fodor's because I had posted that comment here, and without missing a beat she looked and me and said, "Oh, my God, you're THAT Patrick". Of course I really blew their cover when, I said, "oh yea, you're the couple from Chicago on your honeymoon." With that her husband got a little upset as they didn't want anyone to know it was their honeymoon -- inside information I had gotten from her through our talks here.
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 12:36 PM

Almost my whole family posts on fodors!

I was pleasantly surprised, upon meeting kalena, that she is connected to my family thru neighbors, mutual friends, mutual interests. We just had never met before! Upon meeting lcuy, we found that her daughter & kalena's son know each other. Then from there they made a connection to my niece, daughterofporkchop. It's a very small world, indeed!
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

topping because I want to hear more of these great stories!
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Any new stories?
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 01:50 PM

"Semi-regular," Bob the Nav? Jeez, how many times a day do I need to post to be a regular?

Anyway, besides my dad, I was very surprised to learn that Mrs. Go's former roommate is the fabulous Grinisa. Small world, huh?
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 02:09 PM

We went to a GTG at Art Hussey's house last spring and realized that he was the same Art Hussey that we had know from a club that we all belonged to about 25 plus years ago.
Art, how are you doing?
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 02:41 PM

Yes, I was surprised to find the equally fabulous mr_go on the board! Mrs._go was my roomate on a high school tour of Europe (if it's Tues. it must be Munich sort of thing). But I've never forgiven her brother for selling my Karmann Ghia
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 02:46 PM

Oh Grinisa, did you mention Munich on purpose (speaking of roommates)?
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 02:48 PM

Bumped into a couple of women in Sevilla a year or so ago and struck up a converstaion while we waited for a parade or something to go by. It turned out that they were staying at my hotel (the Amadeus), as well as heading on the the Casa Capitel Nazari in Granada.

It turned out that one of them had been posting here to get info for their trip, and asked if I also posted on Fodors. We had drinks together one evening, and dinner another.

Fodorites are great!
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 02:53 PM

Ah, ms_go, nothing escapes you!
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 02:58 PM

I once answered someone's travel question on directions from Paris to Montpellier on the AOL France boards.

We emailed back and forth and discovered my daughter and her daughter were friends. They had both traveled together to Dijon the previous weekend where they were hosted by my host family from my days at the Universite de Dijon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -