Reload this Page >

Have you been to Notting Hill?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 1999, 04:59 AM
Maira

With all the hype going on about the movie (good flick BTW!), I was curious about the subject area in London. Anything special about it?

Old Jun 5th, 1999, 08:53 AM
Valerie

Maira, <BR> <BR> We might need a true Londoner to respond here, but I have been to London many times myself and I believe it is the start of the Portobello Road Market, which is real interesting. I remember the tube stops there, Notting Hill Gate. I saw the film myself and like it as well. As far as anything else around there or any history, I don't know but I am curious to find out also.

Old Jun 5th, 1999, 02:04 PM
Connie

Hi Maria, <BR>I haven't seen the film yet....dying to! But I spent a semester in college studying in London and lived right next to the Nottinghill Gate tube stop. It's a very quiet, residential area, but is lovely nonetheless and has some great little gems (such as the one italian pastry shop -- I forget the name , but I did visit it way too often!). <BR>

Old Jun 5th, 1999, 02:38 PM
lynn

Yep, been there. <BR> <BR>As Valerie said, that's the Portabello Road Market area. The area is interesting, we went there to look around but there aren't any real good deals. All the dealers know people come to antique shop. Not only that, many of the items are new reproductions sold as old. I know this for a fact because I have reproductions in my own house that I bought directly from the importer and he told me alot about how the system works. <BR> <BR>I would definately go, its fun people-watching with the fruit vendors and food sellers, but be careful if you want to buy something represented as an antique. <BR> <BR

Old Jun 6th, 1999, 05:04 AM
Wanda

Been to Portabella Road Market--great people watching and fun to look at the stuff! Didn't buy anything substantial though.

Old Jun 6th, 1999, 07:51 AM
Nigel Doran

'The Guardian' newspaper's travel section yesterday {June 6th} had a two-page feature on Notting Hill. The paper is available in an on line version, and I assume the travel section is accessible too. <BR>Try www.theguardian.co.uk.

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 01:43 PM
Scott

My wife and I spent 8 days in London in late March and based ourselves in Notting Hill at the Abbey Court Hotel (we didn't even know about the movie). GREAT CHOICE. Small and quiet with easy convenient tube access. The small shops and cafes were fun and we found some great bargains on Portobello Road. Avid collectors that we are, we relished the finds that were unique to UK..Kensington Place restaurant (near Notting Hill Gate tube stop) is a terrific dinner place and just of Portobello Rd. is a great little bistro restaurant called 192. Mostly locals and a great wine bar. Food was good and a great palce to meet locals. Just flip out your guide book during dinner and I guarantee you'll pick up some insider info on the area from the wait staff and other diners around you.. I know we did.

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 02:50 PM
Maira

Thank you all for the very good info shared! <BR> <BR>Nigel, I tried the website...couldn't get to the travel section. Did an unsuccessful Search by Notting Hill on the site drop box (??)....