Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have the luxury of choosing 10 days in either Santorini/Athens or Barcelona/Costa Brava or Florence/Siena for 25th wedding anniversary - which would you choose?

Search

Have the luxury of choosing 10 days in either Santorini/Athens or Barcelona/Costa Brava or Florence/Siena for 25th wedding anniversary - which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually my message title says it all - looking for a romantic yet interesting locale to celebrate. We're in our mid forties and have not been away without the kids for longer than a weekend for 16 years! Any recommendations?
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:44 PM

What month are you planning this for? I think that would make a difference in my recommendation. Also, do you like lots of activity or a more laid back vacation? Is this your first trip to Europe? Give us a bit more info!
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:51 PM

We did nearly 3 weeks in Italy for our 25th and it was magic. BUT I've never been to Greece or Spain, so I can not compare.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 05:11 PM

It all depends on what you like to do. Really you can't lose with any of these choices. Barcelona is a great place to visit as we found out last year. Personally I'd go for relaxation island style and some sight seeing, so for me its Greece.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 06:26 PM

Of course, it depends on when.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:08 PM

Lily, it would help to know when you are planning to go on this trip, also your likes/dislikes. ThinGorjus, that was rude.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 10:18 PM
brotherleelove2003

If you're planning to travel in August 2004, steer clear of Greece. Everything will be booked solid and/or 3 times the usual price for a hotel. but if that's not your time frame, consider Santorini as your destination. The village of Oia is one of the most romantic and beautiful spots on earth.

Old Sep 24th, 2003, 04:17 AM

Grandmere,
I noticed you post alot to this site about travel to Europe. Any advice on a thanksgiving trip to Europe as to where to go considering the weather. We have only traveled to London, Rome and Florence.
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 05:11 AM

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, ThinGorjus? "Blimey", how about finding some manners?

Lily, it would be helpful to know when you are going and what you like to do, but I'll try with this:

Santorini is a beautiful island and very relaxing. Athens is a crowded, dirty (IMHO) city that has wonderful history. I'd spend 2 days in Athens then go to Santorini. With 10 days you could also hit another island.

Florence/Siena - ah, Italy. It is hard to get more romantic than Italy. Florence is my favorite city in Italy of the ones I have been to. Siena is nice also. From Florence you can explore Cinque Terre, which is wonderful as well.

Haven't been to Spain yet (it's my next trip, in February), but from reading this board, I know people generally love Barcelona.

So, provide some more info, or do some searching on this board for more opinions.

Karen
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 07:28 AM

To Need Advice:

I have never been to Europe over T-giving but have been in London in early Nov. and in Paris over Xmas (As to my "credentials", I have been to most Western European countries at least once [very briefly to Spain, just few hours!] and to France several times; I know there are people on here who have traveled much more extensively than that.) That said, my destinations of choice for late Nov. would be Paris, London, Rome, or Munich and the towns of Germany to experience the Christmas markets. I would avoid places where the weather is a big factor in the enjoyment of the locale, such as Greek islands, Amalfi coast, etc. And keep in mind that the Mediterranean is nothing like the Caribbean in the fall/winter/spring months.

Why don't you post the question and see what other input you might get. Madrid or other cities in Spain might be great at that time of year and a bit warmer than the more northern places.

Happy choosing!
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone (except of course ThinGorjus although I did laugh at that one) for your replies. Sorry I didn't give more info but I've done the research and I was only trying to get some personal favourites. We are hoping actually to go in April or May and I'm leaning towards Greece and my husband is leaning towards Barcelona. Sounds like Greece may not be our best bet given the Olympic preperations so maybe we'll compromise and go to Florence/Siena. Santorini sounded nice as it combines idle beaching with some touring which is what suits us. Thanks again as always for your input.