Have only 1 hour layover in Amsterdam

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are traveling to Greece for our honeymoon and on the way home we are flying KLM with a layover in Amsterdam. We are not checking any luggage. Is 1 hour enough between flights? This will be my first international flight...Silly question...but I didn't know if there were any extra check points or anything that we would have to go through before changing planes, or if it's the same as changing planes here in the US.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 11:00 AM

You will need to go through immigration (to exit the Schengen common travel area which both Greece and Netherlands belong to). Then just before the gate for your US flight, there's security.

One hour is enough as long as your first flight departs more or less on-time.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:01 PM

I have done the same thing flown with KLM, first I would like to say good choice, I think they have the best customer service and give you lot's of food so you never starve.

I personally don't think it's enough time. When I was there they changed the gate and I spent most of the time looking for it. Remember that alot of airports are spread out and it can take you at least 20 minutes just to get to the exit. Then the airport isn't in the city centre so by the time you get there you'll need to go back. Sorry, it's just not doable.

Theresa

www.nomadwannabe.com
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
chinko- They didn't ask about going into Amsterdam, just making their connection at the airport.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Hi grbynum, here is the website for the airport. If you click on the airport map that might help you. It is a wonderful airport IMO but if you plane is even a bit late arriving I think you would probably miss your flight home. http://www.schiphol.com/

And congratulations on your soon to be marriage. May your lives together be for decades and may they be filled with joy and love.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 12:52 PM

Your flight from Greece will arrive at a gate in Pier B or C on the "right" side of a Schipol map. Your flight to the US will depart from Pier E or F on the "left" side. Passport control between the two halves of AMS.