Have Fun with Your Luggage

Apr 5th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Nora

Have Fun with Your Luggage

From the Internation Herald Tribune:
"An informal study of airport arrival lounges suggests that the world is divided into two luggage camps. Some regard their suitcases as beasts of burden, abusable bits of canvas or nylon meant to be stuffed beyond capacity. Then there are those who treat their luggage with reverence: not as a means to an end, but as part of the journey."
I goes on to say that Kate Spade has a shop in Soho that has retro and trendy travel items, anyone been there? It is supposed to be the start of a trend to make travel fun again, at least accessory wise.

Apr 5th, 2002, 10:59 AM
oolala

I fall into the second group. I consider my luggage like a lover. In fact, I sleep with my roll around suitcase every night. She is such a cute little thing and has a real nice set of wheels....

Apr 5th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Shannon

I buy patches from places I've been, and decorate the outside of my suitcase with them. Also, it's much easier to find my suitcase at the airport, since everyone seems to have a black suitcase with wheels, they all simultaneously grab the first one that comes down the shute and leave mine alone!

How do others identify their luggage?

Apr 5th, 2002, 11:08 AM
kate

Because I thought that black would be smart and look good for a long time and would not be "loud" as in a plaid suitcase or polka dots, I now have luggage exactly like everyone else! I had to put colored tape on the bottom of it so when it comes around the carrousel,I recognise it.

Apr 5th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Anne

I thought I had the best idea ever, put a plaid bow on my luggage handle, well, alot of other people had the same idea.
Then I tried different colors, so did they. I am wondering now myself what to do. They are canvas so stickers won't stick. Hmmm

Apr 5th, 2002, 02:52 PM
jan

You can sew directly onto the canvas using a large needle. Alternatively, try "liquid stitch" or some other sewing alternative to glue it on (can be found at grocery or fabric stores). Finally, some patches can be ironed on.

Apr 5th, 2002, 02:57 PM
elvira

Found some very inexpensive luggage tags - metallic-y neon plastic (red blue green). Why is it kids get the cool colors for THEIR suitcases? I'd love one of those lavender bags with pink zippers and yellow trim!

Apr 5th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Nan

Elvira, I bought an emergency carry-on in China, when mine fell apart. It is blue, yellow and orange, now I can't miss it. We can steal the kid's luggage and use it as carry-on bags.

Apr 5th, 2002, 03:16 PM
KT

I have ugly day-glo yellow luggage tags AND little rings of teal blue ribbon that I've sewed around the handles. I figured nobody would have that particular tasteless combination.

Somebody else once took my black convertible backpack home from the carousel instead of hers because "it was the same brand." Yeah... It also had a label that looked completely different except for the brand name, a blue ribbon attached, two nametags, and a different number of compartments. Oh yeah, it was a different size, too. So I guess you just can't idiot-proof against the idiots.

To answer the original question, I regard my pack as my trusty friend. I don't abuse it, nor do I expect it to be too snobbish for its own good.

Apr 5th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Patty

It is funny but I do become attached to my luggage. Sometimes it is the only familiar "face" on a trip and is always there for me. Except for the time British Air sent her far away for a week to places unknown, she won't say where she was, but her little handle was scratched, so I won't ask.