Reload this Page >

Haus der Musik in Vienna

Search

Haus der Musik in Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 03:11 PM
Bob Brown

Haus der Musik in Vienna

Ifyou have visited the Haus der Musik in Vienna, please fill me in. <BR>How was it??

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 03:29 PM
Marc David Miller

There was an article in last Sunday (7/22) Travel section of the New York Times on a visit. You can go to their web site <BR> <BR>www.nytimes.com <BR> <BR>and purchase the article.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 12:13 PM
Gigi

Bob Brown, one of my heroes on this board! <BR>I have visited the Haus der Musik in Vienna. I was a bit disappointed, I have to admit. I have been to so many great concert halls in Europe, I felt this to be a poor cousin. If the program were to be exceptional, it would be worth seeing. To go just to see the hall...I wouldn't recommend it. Vienna has so much to see. <BR>Prior to my Vienna trip, Bob, I think read some of your posting about Vienna? If so, have you been to the Weiner Staatsoper? Now, THAT'S a concert hall! <BR>Ciao! <BR>Gigi <BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 04:57 PM
Bob Brown

Thatis disappointing news about Der Haus der Musik. I expected something wonderful; something equal in accomplishment to the great composers associated with Vienna. I began to get the idea that it was all that great when I scouted out the web site. <BR>I was able to send a greeting card, but it did not play any music!! What in the heck is going on if a greeting card from a place that purports to be a presentation of all that is great about Vienna's musical heritage is totally silent!! <BR>I will probably go by there anyhow. <BR> <BR>I have not yet been in the Staatsoper. <BR>That comes this trip. <BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 06:39 PM
wes fowler

My apologies, Gigi, if I'm wrong, but I don't think you're referring to the same building Bob has raised questions about. The Haus der Musik is indeed a "house" rather than a concert hall. Formerly the six story 18th century palace of Archduke Charles, it later became the home of Otto Nicolai, the founder of the Vienna Philharmonic. While it has a small concert hall on the sixth floor, many of the displays, some of which are interactive, are housed in rooms devoted to specific composers with each room saturated with the sounds of the composers' works. Might you be thinking of the Konzerthaus instead?

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 07:34 PM
Bob Brown

Ever since I found out about Der Haus die Musik, I have been intrigued. <BR>I was told about it via personal communications from one of the board's most esteemed contributors. <BR>I was trying to find out if anyone had been there, in person. Regardless, I will act on the reservation, probably on September 15 as soon as I can get by there after a ticket call at Die Volksoper. <BR>I did find the web site to be a little less than I expected. But perhaps it is still a work in progress. <BR>At any rate, I will be there in about 6 weeks. I am already ready to go, but the time is not yet here! <BR>Gigi, Der Haus der Musik is as I understand it a display of history involving the great Austrian composers, or at least some of them. <BR>I understand that Bruckner and Brahms are not yet featured. <BR>But it is a museum, if one can use that term in this context. So, yes, if you are not referring to the same thing I am, please correct yourself. <BR>But, unless someone says I will become deathly ill if I go there, I will be knocking on the front door of Das Haus Der Music on the afternoon of September 15. As I once said, bad Beethoven is still better than 100% of the rap crap that punishes the air. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 12:55 AM
COVA

Hi Bob, <BR>I think that Gigi was talking about the Konzerthaus. Probably the concert hall is not so wonderful as the Staatoper or the Goldenes Saal in the Musikverein, but the program is usually quite interesting and it deserves a visit. <BR>If you are going to be around on the 17 of September, you could listen to Bryn Terfel with the orchest of the Volksoper. They still have tickets at http://www.konzerthaus.at (look in Konzertprogramm, 480 ATS ). <BR> <BR>I have friends who have been to the Haus der Musik, and they have come back quite happy with it. You can even act as a conductor of the Wiener Philarmoniker. That´s really cool!!

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 01:50 AM
Gigi

Good Morning! <BR>Hmmm, I very much need to look at my literature and see if I am remembering correctly. Apologies to all if I am thinking of the Konzerthaus. Bob, would you be kind enough to post the website you mentioned. I certainly would like to retract my "review" if mistaken. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Wes. I certainly don't want to mislead anyone. <BR>Bob, we saw The Lohengrin at the Staatsoper. Magnificient! How fortunate we felt to see it in Vienna! <BR>Vienna is a truly lovely city. I am sure you will have a wonderful trip. <BR>Gigi

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 05:32 AM
Bob Brown

The web site is: <BR>http://haus-der-musik-wien.at/ <BR>It is located at Seilerstätte 30, <BR> <BR>If you know where Archduke Karl used t hang out, then you know where it is. Here is the official word on location right in the musical heart of Vienna between St. Stephan's Cathedral and the State Opera House where the old ropemakers used to be: <BR> <BR>Das HAUS DER MUSIK WIEN befindet sich im historischen Palais Erzherzog Karl. Es liegt im musikalischen Herzen Wiens, zwischen Stephansdom und Staatsoper. <BR> <BR>While we are on the subject, how about the Bösendorfer Company? Is there anything that can be visited by the public??

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 05:36 AM
COVA

Hi Gigi, <BR>here you have a couple of URLs that might interest you : <BR> <BR>http://www.konzerthaus.at/ <BR>http://www.haus-der-musik-wien.at/ <BR> <BR>Rgds, Cova <BR> <BR>