Reload this Page >

HAS ANYONE VISITED POLAND?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 1997, 05:19 AM
KATHY

We are having difficulty getting firsthand info re: travel into Poland from Germany. We've encountered roadblocks everywhere:car versus train?;$$ exchange; where (?), can $$ be exchanged everyday including weekend? Don't have much time to spend,but want to visit Auschwitz. I know the trip is doable; any suggestions? Thanks.

Old Jul 1st, 1997, 04:00 AM
Pedro Diez

Hello,

We have spent some days in Poland, unfortunately working, but we do couple of trips in the weekend.

I´ll try to answer some of your questions:

- Trains work properly, be careful at the station (specially in Warszow).
- You can change money in the Exchange Office, called KANTOR, you can find them open in the stations (even in weekends), and there´s a lot in the city center´s. Please compare the rates.
- One day in Warszow is "enough" to see the old town.
- The trip between Warszow and Krakow (the closest city to Auswichtz (Öswietzim, or something like that in polish) takes 2,5 hours, then in Krakow you need to continue by train or by bus (just in front of the Station, 45 minutes, ask for the time-table).
- I really think that you must visit Auschwitz, is not a nice place, but is History. I really recommended.
-Krakow is a very nice place. Spend at least two days.

That´s all I know about Poland.

Have a nice trip!!!!!!

Old Jul 6th, 1997, 04:59 PM
cheryl vincent

Kathy, You will enjoy Poland. I have been there two times, the first alone to visit a childhood girlfriend and then two years later my husband went with me. It is so easy to travel in Poland because the trains run everywhere. We were lucky enough to visit Auswich and it is a very moving experiende. We traveled at Christmas 1995 and it was cold but it did not stop us. My husband and I traveled alone while my friend had to teach. We went to Prague and Budapest also. There are trains running from Germany to various cities in Poland. We happened to have home base in Wroclaw where she teaches. We caught a train to Auswich. When you arrive get a taxi to take you to the site (a very short ride about 2 miles, but a little too far to walk). Allow at least 1/2 day so check the train schedules. Warsaw has some very unique things to see. I spent a day in 1993, but unfortunately my husband did not arrive until late in 1995 and were coming back to America the next morning. We inquired at the Marriott Pizza Hut for a shop that was unique and carried local crafts. We walked to it and spent a couple of hours talking to the wonderful lady. The people of Poland usually speak English. If not, there will be someone around that does. This applies to the cities, but out in the rural areas they do not - that is one reason we did not choose to drive. We also visited Kracow (spell?) and Zanapone. Exchange of money is done at Kantors which are located all over the place. In Warsaw and Kracow there are American Express places that are very helpful. We know cause we lost our credit card. The food and sites are cheap by American standards. It is hot in the summer from what my friend says. If you go, I think you must make a stop in Prague. It is a beautiful city with a lot of very interesting things to see. The shopping has been really great both times I was there. Crystal is cheap by what I compare it here in the US to. The castle is a great place to see, Charles Bridge is great in the spring, summer and fall - no artists or entertainers in the winter. The train stations usually have English speaking personnel and the schedules are not too difficult to figure out. Once in the cities, there are bus and trolley cars to take you where you want to go. Personnel at Orbus or your hotels can be very helpful in directing you around. Write back is you would like more information. I think you will be very pleased with your trip. Cheryl

Old Jul 6th, 1997, 11:50 PM
Ronald Dobrydnio

Don't change more dollars than you need as you can't buy dollars with your zlotys at the end of the trip. Kantors all over as mentioned by others but if you can use an ATM do so as the rate is probably going to be better and you can get the amount of zlotys you need. Auschwitz is worth a visit. About an hour from Cracow. Food is good in Poland and prices reasonable. Good values on amber jewelry which is in great abundance - buy from reputable jewelers only as plastic imitations are not unknown.

Old Aug 14th, 1998, 03:11 PM
Peter Balinski

Poland is really nice, and you CAN exchange your zlotys back to your currency at KANTOR or any bank, banks have limitted hours and closed on weekends, KANTORs are better bet many open with long hours and weekends. It seems you be in south part of Poland. Stay in cracow, visit Wieliczka salt mines, besides well worth Auschwitz (Oswiecim). From your Hotel in Cracow book excursions to both. Zakopane is also a must but with some extra time. <BR>check www.orbis-usa.com for some prices

Old Aug 14th, 1998, 08:29 PM
Kristy

Kathy - I was in Poland for 2 weeks in May and LOVED it! We drove (which almost no one does, it seems!) because we wanted to visit areas that were less accessible by train, and also have the flexibility to linger in certain areas/towns or not. This worked out very well. We heard lots of horror stories about the condition of the roads and the terrible drivers. Some stories were true, some not. Overall, the driving experience was great, perfect for the kind of travelling we like to do, and nowhere near as bad as everyone said. Trains may be easier, but they do not seem to run as frequently as trains in Western Europe, especially between the smaller cities or towns. <BR> <BR>As for $$ exchange, I would recommend that, if possible, you rely on ATMs for most of your cash. I took travelers checks, which I deposited unused back into my bank account when I returned home! ATMs were everywhere, and very easy to use (with English directions). As long as your ATM card has a 4-digit PIN, it should work (your bank can tell you for sure). Visa Plus ATMs are the most common. The beauty of using ATMs is that they are always accessible, and rarely do you have to wait in line, as you might at a Kantor. <BR> <BR>When we went to Auschwitz, we drove, so I can't help you with trains or buses but I know the town (Oswiecim) is served by both. This is an amazing experience - don't miss going to Birkenau as well as Auschwitz I. <BR> <BR>Finally, as for border crossings by car, we had no problems crossing from Poland to the Czech Republic, and back again. On the way out of Poland, we encountered a long line of both cars and trucks, but were through the crossing in about 30 minutes. If you are driving, make sure you are allowed to take your car into Poland from Germany (if it's a rental car, the rental company usually has restrictions). <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful time in Poland!!! Feel free to e-mail me directly if you have any more questions.

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 05:26 PM
Peter

If you planning to rent a car in Poland and drive to Czech Rep. Hungry or Germany, let your rental company know, because they need to give you extended insurance (they call it green card), it does not cost extra, but without it you may 1. not be allowed to cross the border, 2. have huge problems in case of accident, since you won't be covered in that country. As for Travel Cheques they are excepted in all banks, as well Orbis Hotels Exchange counters (but Kantors will not except the cheques). <BR>Poland is really beautiful, and still a bargain. See it before prices even up with the rest of Europe. Polish LOT is the airlines to fly (even if you are fat they use 767s with 7 seat rows with a nice leg room in front, great food, free headphones for english/polish channels for movies and music, its also nonstop. I took British Air once with stop over in London - never again - those seats are for kids and service was really up nose, black man sitting next to me got no respect, finally when I noted to the service, that this is what they should provide, guy got his water.