Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used Orbitz.com to book a flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 11:28 PM
Matt

When you do a search for a specific flight and then the price comes up, is this really the price you pay, or are there taxes and other fees you must pay in addition to the price listed?

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 03:27 AM
Rex

It's really the price you pay.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 03:33 AM
Kathy

We've used it several times. It is the price you pay--no hidden charges. Remember to add your frequent flyer number, or just call the airline directly after booking with Orbitz, and ask to add your number to your booking.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 06:01 PM
ttt

to the top<BR>

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Sherry

Hi Matt. Just booked Orbitz for the first time. The only charges added on the the base fare is a $5.00 Orbitz service fee. If you choose to receive paper tickets, they charge you a $15.00 fee for the Fed Ex. So if you would come up with a $532 fare as I did, I really ended up paying $552 total. People on the Forum advised getting paper tickets(it was for an international flight). Otherwise the only "extra fee" is the $5.00 service fee.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 08:11 AM
Ann

Now that Orbitz has started charging fees, I just use the site as a reference, and then book the flight through the airlines site. Sometimes Orbitz does have better fares, but I've always been able to match it by calling the airline.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 09:05 AM
marcy

I did got the runaround from Orbitz post 9/11 and was charged to cancel. All the airlines and other online agencys were giving full refunds. Orbitz made sure to profit from the tragedy. I could not trust them again. Buy travel insurance. Wish I had.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 09:29 PM
ttt

to the top<BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:12 AM
sandra

I just boked two tickets to france for late may return mid june. they fly into cdg and we leave from nice. the lowest fare i was finding was 797.00 each ticket, the same flight on orbitz was 491.00 I have also gotten rountrip from hpn to bangor for 118.00 round trip while the american airlines site was charging anywhere from 565.00-1700<BR>so Orbitz is working right for me

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:51 AM
JEFF

I used them for a recent trip to LHR and they were fine. However, I notice they have now instituted a $5 service charge. Since the same fares are usually available on the airline web sites without that rip-off charge, I would not use them unless I could not find the fare matched on the actual airline web site.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 05:02 AM
Leslie

Why are you people standing on ceremony for a $5 service charge? Do you think that Expedia, Travelocity, etc. don't bury their service charges in the price of the ticket that you are buying?<BR><BR>Let's see, Orbitz offers a RT ticket from NY to Heathrow on British Airways for $175 including the taxes, plus $20 for the FEDEX and service charge = $195.<BR><BR>Travelocity offers the same RT ticket for $225, plus the $15 FEDEX charge = $240.<BR><BR>British Airways offers the same RT ticket for $550, no FEDEX charge as you're going to pick the tickets up at the airport.<BR><BR>Now, which ticket are you going to buy? Price is the ruling factor here.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 05:06 AM
jj

I know people are finding great fares using Orbitz, but I'm not one of them. I'm checking daily for fares from the East Coast to Paris in June (checking different dates within a 1-week window), and Orbitz is consistently one of the higher fares I find. Oh well, I'll keep checking all sites daily!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:24 AM
Jim

One other plus using Orbitz is the Access America insurance sold thru Orbitz that is much cheaper than buying directly from Access America.<BR>AAA also sells Acess America insurance, but you must buy your ticket from them-Even thou you belong to AAA.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:40 AM
Sherry

I was hesitant to purchase a ticket from Orbitz. I remembered the last time I bought a ticket through AAA they charged a $10 service fee per ticket and I am a AAA plus member. So I guess the $5 fee did not bother me so much. I was less happy with the $15 FED EX ticket delivery fee. But the bottom line is that the ticket I purchased is STILL cheaper than buying from the airline. It was $110 per ticket cheaper Now, if I was burned like Marcy, I probably would not do so again. But as Leslie says, price does rule. And with no bad experiences, I think anyone would take a chance.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 09:04 AM
JP

I've never found a fare on Orbitz that I couldn't get for as least as good a price somewhere else. Another consideration is that you usually get extra FF miles for booking on an airline's own site.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 09:18 PM
Sam

Bestfares.com claims to beat everyone on fares to Europe, but you have to be a member ($60) to utilize their service. Plus, it seems hard to get fares off the site. Has anyone used them? Good? Bad? Thanks. Sam

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 10:44 PM
topeeee

to the top.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 03:59 AM
c

Just a week ago I bought a RT flight to Milan (with connections via Stockholm going, via Copenhagen on the return) for $268 on Orbitz. I didn't care about the $5 service charge. I also choose to pay a $15 extra charge for a paper ticket, which arrived promptly. I bought these tickets during a one-day sale of fares that had to be used by 3/15. The lowest sale price had been sold out, and I had to try various date combinations for both Milan and Rome to find the best fare. (For Rome, I couldn't find anything lower than $432 left, and even for Milan, on some dates there were no cheap fares left.) I booked the trip a few minutes before the sale ended. I didn't have time to check whether the same prices were available through the airline. It never would have occured to me to check fares on SAS when my plan was to go to Italy.

Old Feb 27th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Sandy

to the top