Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used AAA Global Currency prepaid VISA card?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Angela

I will be going to Italy next month. I recently saw an ad in the latest AAA magazine for their prepaid Global Currency card that you deposit money on before you leave home and use at ATM to withdraw or as a credit card. I like the idea of keeping to a set amount of $. My worry is what if the ATM's arent't working--I'm sure there's probably lots of them--just interested in anyone else's experience with this. Thanks

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Gloria

Hi, Angela, <BR>When we sent our daughter home alone, from Spain, last year (age 17), I wanted to make sure she would have means to money/Visa without carrying a great deal of cash. And, I didn't want to open a Visa in her name. I purchased, through one of my credit card companies, the type of card you are referring to. I paid a lump sum. She could charge with it or make a cash withdrawal. I think the fee was about $7.50, reasonable for my purpose. I thought this was a better route than traveler checks. <BR>As it turned out she didn't need it at the time. But, she managed to use it later! <BR>I guess I would check around a little and compare fees. Perhaps a search on the web of prepaid Visa cards may help you. <BR>Have a wonderful trip, Angela. <BR>

Old May 14th, 2001, 12:31 PM
fleur

Just wanted to know if any one has used the AAA global currency card? Trying to find the safest and best way to access my own money!!! Thanks.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:49 PM

I am also looking into AAA gloabl currency card. Sounds like a very good option to using debit cards/travellers cheques. Anybody with experience with this card in France/Italy?

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:28 PM
x

ttt

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 11:19 AM
Christina

I think that may be a good idea for a child without a bank acct, but why would anyone with a regular ATM card do that? What exchange rate does AAA give you? All I know is in their offices, their exchange rate if you buy travelers checks in foreign currency is not the bank rate, they add on a fee, so I would think there might be a disadvantage on those cards over a bank's ATM card--it cannot be any better, in any case. And, they charge ATM fees if you make more than 5 withdrawals from the card. I don't understand why a set amt of money makes any difference, but I don't spend money I don't have; anyway, you can easily add money to it if you wish by calling, online or by credit card. Which is why I can only see it as beneficial for kids or something like that.