Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone taken the Vastours from Rome to Pompei? Input appreciated.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 07:26 PM
BG

Hi! We'll be in Rome next month and was thinking of taking the Vastours from Rome to Pompei. Was wondering if it is a good tour company to take.

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 06:35 PM
frank keller

BG, Are you independent or are you affiliated with Travel Italy.com???? I do have experience with your company and VasTours. Would you like to hear about it?

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 08:15 PM
BG

Hi Frank, <BR>No, I am not affiliated with Travel Italy.com. THis is not my real email address. My husband & I are going to Rome next month. I found this Vastour through the internet fearing that the tours would be sold out by the time we get there. We would like to take a tour as oppose to taking the train on our own since we are going to be on our own most of the time. We decided to just take the bus and relax. Yes, I would like to hear your experience with them. I know there's other tours available but they were the only ones who responded to my email inquiries so far. Any input from you or anyone would be great.

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 11:20 PM
Patrick

Hi BG, <BR> <BR>I've not tried Vastours. However, I tried the tour orgainized by American Express which departs daily at its office (next to the Spanish Steps) around 8:00 in the morning. The tour first stops briefly at Naples, then goes to Pompei and a few other places. The Pompei part was very good, but the visit to a wood factory was a bit boring. I am not familiar with Vastours, but at least with American Express you shouldn't have to worry. <BR> <BR>Patrick

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 06:21 PM
frank keller

BG: We were in Rome early July and took five of VasTour tours. There is no problem booking tours with them or other tour companies. You can book them through your hotel and availability is no problem. We also took a tour from Appain Tours (booked through our hotel the night before) and found them a little better. We had some air-conditioning problems on a couple of VasTour's buses and I found Appian's guides less condescending. We took VasTour's overnight tour to Sorrento, Capri and Pompeii and while the tour was adequate, the hotel was a problem. You see while advertising that they are putting you up in a 4 star hotel, they neglect to tell you that you are getting the worst rooms in the place. We were next to the public bathrooms and I could talk to my mother-in-law through the walls (imagine that). We were also treated like second class citizens by the hotel (Bristol). We didn't bother to take their bus back to Rome and took a cab back the next morning. To answer your original question, I would not reccomend VasTours. If you have any more questions please let me know. Frank