Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone taken a train from London to Dover and ferried to France continuing on to Paris?

Search

Has anyone taken a train from London to Dover and ferried to France continuing on to Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 10:06 AM
sam

If so, can a day trip be fashioned out of this agenda? Thank you.

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 10:31 AM
Jeanne

Hi sam: <BR> <BR>I have done that trip 3-4 times but not for many years-say 10 or 15, but in my recollection, it is much too long for a day trip (meaning there and back in one day) Even the chunnel seems long for just a there and back trip since it is 3 hours.... <BR> <BR>You also need to know that the ferry trip varies greatly due to weather and can be unpredictable in the winter. <BR> <BR>If anyone has done that journey more recently, please jump in since I haven't made this trip forever and maybe my information is not correct. <BR> <BR>Jeanne

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 11:20 AM
betsy

Yes! Our family did this trip in June 2000. Much too long for one day--don't even consider it. We left the early summer heat wave in London and sailed into the cool weather of the Channel. We loved sailing away from the white cliffs of Dover toward the shore of France--the scenery was nice. The ferry was clean and comfortable with food and shopping available. I believe you can make a reservation on the Web. We picked up our rental car (Auto Europe) in Calais without any problems. Heads up: try to get a faster train to Dover than we did; we stopped at every cowpath. <BR> <BR>Bon voyage

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 12:56 PM
Ben Haines

<BR>A day trip to the Fremch coast is easy. <BR> <BR>On Mondays to Saturdays from 31 March to 1 October a catamaran of Hoverspeed plies between Folkestone and Boulogne, to give you seven hours in France. London Charing Cross 0855, Folkestone to 1031 to 1100, Boulogne 1355 to 2100, Folkestone 2055 to 2216, Charing Cross 2358. <BR> <BR>On Mondays to Saturdays in winter you can do much the same to Calais: Chring Cross 0755, Calais 1255 to 1855, Charing Cross 2135. Calais is less attractive bhan Boulogne, but is still very French (despite Mary Tudor). <BR> <BR>Most of the year these are cheap day trips: you can phone offices I show below to find how cheap. <BR> <BR>If for you it's a case of Paris or bust, you can do it, just. <BR> <BR>London to Paris adult fares are five day return 49 pounds or 79 dollars. Youth fares are three quarters of these, and child fares are a half. Book with a credit card via Network Leisure Travel at Cannon Street station on ++44 20 7904 0540 or in person at the easternmost window at Charing Cross station. Either will sell you your tickets any day, including a day or two before you travel. <BR> <BR>For your day trip you start with a fairly tough night. The busses in these notes are free. Charing Cross (not Saturdays) 2300, snooze, Dover Priory station 0050, walk or taxi a mile down to Dover port, sail 0200, sleep, Calais port 0430, free bus, Calais Ville station 0526, snooze, Paris Nord 0844. Breakfast and good coffee. Five hours in Paris. Paris Nord 1413 or 1419, CalaisVille 1732, bus, Calais port 1915, dine on board, Dover port 1945, Dover Priory station 2050 or 2108, Charing Cross 2235 or 2307. Goodness, how you'll sleep that night. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 12:59 PM
SharonM

Boy, that brings back some memories... <BR> <BR>On my second trip to Europe in 1985(?) Had one week to see London and Paris. I flew into London from the US with a girlfriend and immediately went from Gatwick to Victoria Station...trained to Dover...Hoverspeed to Boulogne...trained into Paris... <BR>(then we went out til the wee morning hours...) Did the same thing in reverse three days later and spent the rest of our short stay in London. <BR> <BR>I would never recommend you do that. <BR> <BR>In, and of itself, London-Paris via train/hovercraft does pretty much take a full day, as mentioned. And, although interesting enough, I would opt for the Chunnel train anyday. <BR>

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 12:59 PM
Shanna

Ooooh - one of my favorite excursions! I did this in December 1986, but I was already in Dover so left from there mid-morning, arriving in Paris after dark but not too terribly late. I love the ferry, the cliffs, the channel, the French coastline, the charm and romance of it all, but I've ridden ferries since childhood, so maybe that's it. It can be done in a day, a long day, but both the ferry and train rides don't require much exertion, so I didn't feel at all tired upon my arrival in Paris. Why not spend an overnight in Dover and see the castle (wonderful!)- or go to Canterbury and see the cathedral?

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 02:54 PM
wendy

I did it twice last fall. How much time do you have? I highly recommend stopping at least for half a day in Canterbury, and Dover deserves a full day too, for the Castle and the Dover Experience. The ferry ride itself may make you a little nauseous, so pack some crackers. <BR>

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 06:22 PM
elvira

Did the Portsmouth&gt;Caen&gt;Paris a couple of times on the overnight ferry. Once in a chair (oh THAT was dandy) and then in cabins (very nice). You arrive at no o'clock in the morning (GOD isn't even up yet), a bus takes you to the train station, then a train to Paris. From there, I travelled for 10 days, and took the night ferry from Oostende to either Dover or Portsmouth (don't remember which) and arrived at 0 o'clock in the morning, then a train to London. I suppose a r/t daytrip could be done, if you caught a night ferry going back to London.<BR>Is there a reason the Eurostar isn't feasible? If you want the experience of a ferry, why not the Eurostar one way?

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 06:54 AM
Ben Haines

From Monday to Friday, all year, you can extend the time in Calais. Charing Cross 0600, Dover 0805 to 0900, catamaran of Hoverspeed lines, Calais nine hours 1056 to 2000, Dover 1955 to 2050, Charing Cross 2236. <BR>Or Charing Cross 0525, Dover 0740 to 0830, P & O Stena ferry, Calais nine hours 1200 to 2045, Dover 2115 to 2204, Charing Cross 2358. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines

Old Dec 30th, 2000, 04:38 PM
krasi

Did the trip across the Emglish Channel last summer. The ride was long and boring. I don't recommend it . Take a plane and see more and waste less time.