Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed in Capri?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 12:02 AM
Maya

I just saw a web site for capri and it seems like a beautifull romantic place for a Spring weekend.<BR>Has anyone stayed there - I have heard of people who have taken a boatride there and back but not actually stayed there.<BR>Are the hotels exreamly expensive?

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Dianne

I stayed there as part of a group tour in 1999 for 2 nights. There are a lot of great hikes and walks with beautiful views. We stayed at the Residenza in Capri town. Guidebooks say it's cheaper to stay in the other town, Anacapri. I liked Anacapri too. It's higher up with nice views. There are minibuses that run between the 2 towns so it's easy to get around.<BR>

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 09:02 AM
picard

I go every year....stay in Capri...(Anancapri is kind of away from it all).Hotels in early spring (out of high season) can range from $50-$300/night....depending on your wallet and snootiness. A clean, decent one is around $70-80/night ...such as La Minerva.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Gayle

Never been to Italy, but you might enjoy the book I'm currently reading. "Greene on Capri" by Hazzard. Tells about the later years Graham Greene spent visiting Capri in spring & fall, but also makes you want to visit there.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 09:53 AM
Patrick

Many people post about Capri. I have learned that those who didn't like it almost always went as a day trip. Those who loved in usually stayed at least overnight. Capri can be very crowded in the summertime with the thousands of day trippers. That is the time to take a bus to Anacapri, more removed. There you can take a lift up to the highest point and maybe even walk down, a delightful walk. You can also walk to the old castle ruins from the main town to the Eastern end of the island. But the real charm of Capri is sitting in the little piazza in the early afternoon as the day trippers have left. Then to stroll around the little streets at nights, enjoying dinner in some wonderful little place, and sitting on a balcony staring off into the moonlight and sea. It is a magical place. It is not cheap, but there are some more budget oriented hotels. We stayed at the Flora about 5 years ago, but nobody seems to be able to tell me if it is still there. I do recommend staying in Capri rather than Anacapri, and do Anacapri in the daytime.<BR>

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 11:05 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon. Maya<BR>Stayed at the Europa Palace about 20<BR>years ago, it was a very wonderfull<BR>night. Anacapri was excellant and<BR>the Pza Umberto is lively at night..<BR>Had wanted to return for a coopleof<BR>days, which so far have been unable<BR>and checked out the Hotel Syrene which<BR>is about two blocks from the Pza in\<BR>Capri. see www.caprionline.it/...<BR>The Syurene is a three star hotel with 34 rooms,, has an excellant dining room<BR>and some of the front rooms overlook<BR>the water and the Faraglioni.<BR>The Europe is very expensive, but the<BR>Syrene is modeerate.<BR><BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 01:54 PM
John G

I have stayed ON Capri 3 times, all at Quisisana, which I highly recommend. (I DO NOT recommend Luna!) My friends parents have been going to Capri every year for the past 20 years and they always stay at Quisisana. Yes, it is very expensive, but how many times can you say you chatted by the pool with Naomi Campbell?

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Fiona

Patrick, I admire you and your travels, you and your wife must have really good memories. Your descriptions are so thoughtful, I would love to visit Capri after your post recommendations.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 03:33 PM
steve

We were just in Capri in October and loved it. We stayed at the Casa Morgano which is owned by the same family as the Quisisana. Because it was late October we were able to get off-season rates which put it within our budget. There are some other less expensive options that looked quite nice. The Capri website has good hotel information.<BR>There were four of us on the trip and we all want to return again.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 05:27 PM
pam

Maya - My husband and I spent one night on Capri while on our honeymoon this September. We stayed at La Residenza - it was great, and I think it was about $100/night (I don't remember exactly). It was quite crowded during the day, but at night it was wonderful! It really is worth visiting.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 05:39 PM
hmmm

For some reason I always imagined that Patrick was gay and travled with his partner. But now I see a mention of his wife. Strange how we perceive someone from e-mails, huh?

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 06:03 PM
Patrick

Not that it makes any difference, but I've never mentioned a wife and not sure that I've ever mentioned "partner" but after 34 years the word "we" just sort of comes out naturally.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 06:47 PM
BridgetJones

Patrick - <BR><BR>You didn't make mention of a wife. It appears that some of the Smug Marrieds on this board assume that life doesn't begin until you are married, and certainly wouldn't include a trip to Capri without a spouse to take.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 07:22 PM
Patrick

I don't think Fiona or anyone else was being a "smug married". Please let's not lower this thread to the usual level. It was a harmless comment, meant to compliment. Thank you Fiona. Let's leave it at that, Bridget. OK?<BR>

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 09:02 PM
Sue

Maya<BR>When I stayed in Capri last year,I was on a tour and we stayed 2 nights. Our hotel was the Regina Christina. I don't know the cost, but it was a small hotel and full of charm. <BR><BR>Capri is a jewel ... stay in Capri if at all possible! You can easily walk to shops and restaurants.<BR><BR>Sue

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 10:40 PM
Maya

Thanks for all the inspiring replies. <BR>Now I REALLY want to go! <BR>I'm going to start planning right away.

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 04:45 PM
Kay

Now I am wondering what I've missed! Is Capri worth a day trip? I agree with Patrick that the day-trippers usually don't like it. I always end up staying around Ravello and Positano because I love it so much even though I feel like I have missed something. How can I make a day trip worthwhile in May? Thanks.