Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

has anyone stayed at these Irish B&B's...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone stayed at these B&amp;B's...<BR>Brogan's-Trim<BR>Doonmacfelim-Doolin<BR>Cill Eoin-Ennis<BR>O Coileain's -Dingle<BR>O�Donovan�s-Kinsale<BR>Berkeley House-Kilkenny<BR>Clone House-Enniscorthy <BR>Anne�sGrove B &amp; B-Dun Laogharie <BR>feedback will be greatly appreciated
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 02:32 PM

I'd made a reservation at Cill Eoin in Ennis for a night last July. We drove past it several days before we were scheduled to stay there and I disliked the location enough that I canceled. This may be unfair because it may be a wonderful place to stay, but I didn't like its spot on a busy road.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 07:27 AM

I overnighted at the Berkeley House in Kilkenny 5 years ago - it's a Victorian building in the center of town, close walking distance to the Castle and the main drag of pubs. Our room was clean and basic -typical Irish breakfast - affordable.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 07:49 AM

We just stayed at the Charthouse in Kinsale. VERY nice. large rooms. FANTASTIC water pressure in the shower. Well decorated, Cordial hostess, good breakfast. <BR><BR>p.s. The owner ( Mary I think gave us the best directions of the whole trip. She even drew us a map, with all the main twists and turns. It was perfect. <BR><BR>I would stay there again.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 09:59 AM

Debbie:<BR><BR>The owner &quot;Mary&quot;.......I had to laugh at that one! You stand in the middle of any town in Ireland (or Boston for that matter) and yell out Mary! The whole town will come out!<BR><BR>One of the many charms of Ireland<BR>JOHN
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 07:47 PM

when in ennis, go to hal pino's for dinner....great...early bird specials before 7pm
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

MaryZ...thanks for the info, so where did you end up staying?<BR>Richard...Berkley House has all of our requirements, near pubs and affordable, thanks!<BR>thanks again to all!
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 07:26 AM

Chip:<BR> We ended up staying at Ardilaun House, a pretty big guesthouse just outside of Ennis. It was fine, but not within walking distance of town. We'll be back in Ennis this summer and I'm going to book one of the hotels in town. Since four of us will be traveling together, I prefer something within walking distance so we can all function on our own schedules.<BR> I want to mention again that Cill Eoin might be a great place to stay. The location just didn't do the trick for me.<BR> I'm not familiar with the place in Dingle you mentioned, but I'd sleep in a trash can if I could do it in Dingle.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

I am now thinking that I too would prefer staying in Ennis to be close to pubs, etc. I still need affordable. Any ideas anyone?
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 11:30 AM

If tourism is down this year in Ireland as I suspect it will be the hotels offer room only deals for very good rates. Try waiting until closer to your departure date then contact the Templegate, Queens or Old Ground for specials.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:57 PM

We stayed at the Templegate when in Ennis in 2000 and I have to say that it was really nice. In fact wished we had stayed there again in March this year when we returned but decided on a B&amp;B - Rose Cottage instead. While it was nice it was not what we had expected and the convenience of having a pub next door while good for a drink did not turn out to be one that was full of life nor music. Templegate is right in the heart of Ennis and you can walk to the pubs there for meals and irish music etc. In Dingle we stayed at Greenmount House and have to say that this was one of the Best B&amp;B's - you cannot go wrong - well worth the extra $'s. Have a wonderful trip - cheers Jan.