COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Has anyone read, "Too Much Tuscan Sun?"

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone read, "Too Much Tuscan Sun?"

I saw this book everywhere in Italy and thought it might be an enjoyable read after our trip. It is written by a former tour guide of the Chianti region. However, I can't find it anywhere in the U.S. since it was apparently self-published. Has anyone read it? Is it worth ordering from Italy? Thanks.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Intrepid

I am absolutely convinced that anyone who would DARE to suggest you can get too much of ANYTHING Tuscan, much less write that down, would be crucified if they got with a million miles of this board!

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 06:31 PM

I read it and loved it during our trip through Italy last month. Then my 13-year-old daugher read it, and then my husband. We laughed out loud and repeated a few passages over and over. Definitely try to find it if you can.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 08:03 PM
dln

I came across a review of this book while collecting info for our trip. If you want to read it, it can be ordered via e-mail to [email protected]

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 08:04 PM
dln

Forgot to add the author's name is Dario Castagno (that would help, wouldn't it?)

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 09:13 PM

Do a search for the book title on this board and you will find plenty of information. Some people liked the book; others did not. But there has been an unfortunate history of false posts promoting the book in a misleading manner.

Either the author, his girlfriend, or some other friend periodically posts a rave review to try to stir up sales, I suppose.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the info!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 05:16 AM

It is my understanding that the author sells his book privately, but you won't find me on his mailing list. He posted excerpts on other message boards and I thought them offensive. "Hysterical" examples of the ugly American traveler, for which i have no sense of humor, may in fact provide opportunities to help one feel him or herself a superior tourist. Here is a guy who makes his living as a tour guide and then writes stories about his experiences with them in most condescending tones,leading me to believe that he is laughing all the way to the bank. I, for one, do not choose to perpetuate the idea that the American abroad is always ugly and ill mannered.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Eccomi: sounds like Dario is biting the hands that fed him, so to speak. I'm sure that all tour guides have stories of "memorable" clients, but I agree with you that most tourists (American or not) are not "ugly" in their behavior. Thanks for your input.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:04 AM

Dario agress with you. He is quick to point out that his humorous anecdotes are a few among hundreds of clients. I found it very enjoyable--take it for what it is--humor.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:15 AM

I read "Too Much Tuscan Sun?" when it first was first published, which was right after we returned from a trip to the Chianti region. We were fortunate to have been able to have Dario as our tour guide, which made the book twice as enjoyable. I have read the book several times and each time it transports me back to the Chianti region.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:04 AM

Eccomi, I also read the excerpts that were posted on this board. I found them condescending as well, but also so outrageous as to be unbelievable. But my strongest literary criticism was that they were not well written nor were they funny. Again, to be scrupulously fair, I only read the chapter that was posted here, not the whole book.

However, I do object vehemently to deceptive postings, especially for commercial purposes. Personally I think fodors should ban anyone caught doing that more than once.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:35 AM

Here we go with the Dario controversy again...
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 09:05 AM

I've read way too much plugging for this book here. It convinced me NOT to ever consider purchasing it.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 10:47 AM

I'm with the previous poster. It seems interesting that a similar type question or comment about the book appears at regular intervals on this board! Coincidence? I think not!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 10:58 AM

Lina has posted quite a few times, unlike the posters the other times this subject has come up. I think she's innocent.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Omigosh. I'm wounded. Thanks for sticking up for me, elberko. Yes, I just returned from two weeks in Italy (see my travel report for all the details you didn't want to know, "Familiar Sites-Fresh Reviews"). I did a search on this board yesterday for the book but got no results (posted under Italy), but when I did a general search today, I got all the all posts and read the ongoing controversy. We can just let this thread die now...
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:26 PM

My apologies, Lina. You're may be the first person who did an innocent posting about the book! The others have been shameless plugs!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:30 PM

True confession: I was suspicious, too, so before I posted I did a search using Lina's name and found that she had recently posted about her Italy trip. So I figured she was legit! (It's been just long enough that we might expect another "rave"...) OK, enough of this!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:37 PM

Mark & Howard, I'm with you guys. "Too Much [Plugging Under The] Tuscan Sun" for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO