Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever dreamed of opening a B&B in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I struggle with traffic, and suffer the stresses of corporate life in London, I often dream of escaping and starting a new life as a B&B/small hotel owner in Italy. Has anyone else thought the same, or even done it? I'd love to hear of anyone's experiences.

Kate, London
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 09:31 AM

I know I have dreamed of this and I bet alot on here has as well.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 10:27 AM

Bien sur! Except that my dream B&B is in France.

Anyone out there actually done it? If so, please share stories (both good and bad!).
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 10:32 AM
ira

Anyone ever stay at a B&B?

Who do you think does the cleaning, washing, shopping, cooking, cleaning, fixing, repairing, making beds, cleaning? Not to mention putting up with outrageous "guests".

Sounds more like a nightmare to me.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 10:37 AM

One of my friends recently asked me why I didn't move to Europe. Besides the obvious citizenship/employment issues, my answer was "who wants to ruin paradise?"

If I move to France and live there, then suddenly I'm paying bills, doing laundry, dealing with the phone company, cleaning the toilet, etc. Who wants to be cleaning a toilet in paradise?

On the other hand if I hit the lottery and had millions, I'd have an apartment in Lyon with a cleaning service in no time.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 10:48 AM

Yes, about 3 times a month on average. Except it's a tiny hotel on a secluded, white-sanded, turquoise-watered, palm-fringed cove on a small caribbean isle. Then I wake up and head off to work (sigh).

Mathieu, Banker in Toronto.

(PS luckily for me, this dream is half true for I visit just such a place for about a week each year. But I wish it was mine.)
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 10:52 AM

I'm with Ira- it sounds good for about 10 minutes, then reality hits...
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 11:02 AM
cmt

Definitely not.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 11:16 AM
dln

My parents are very good friends with a young 30ish couple who own a B&B in Umbria. It very rewarding but physically and financially draining. You give up a lot to do it successfully.

Thanks, but after the stories I've heard, I'd rather be a guest than an owner.

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 11:23 AM

Ira

We have a place in San Gimingano that we are planning on turning into a "B&B" when we retire from the US and our kids are in college. To answer your excellent questions, maid, handyman and me. I would love to do all of the cooking and look forward to "putting up" with the guests providing that they will be like you, Scarlett and Pup, dln, cigale, kismet, Maitaitom and his lovely wife,Degas and his bride and a few others. If that does not work out then I would only allows friends and friends of friends. The place is not that big so it should be doable. Oh, I forgot, Mr. Haines of course!!!!
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 11:58 AM

a friend of mine once said she'd love to move to New Orleans (her favorite city anywhere) except that then it would have 'work cooties' all over it.

not sure I wholly agree with that, but it does have some merit.

I'd rather move somewhere I DON'T have to work..
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 12:24 PM

LOL...work cooties....LOL
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 12:30 PM
RLA

They say that living somewhere and vacationing there is two different things. Just stay somewhere a little bit "too" long, and you'll get a glimpse. However, I would admire Calamarie for persuing her dream. Everything in reality has it's downside, but what better place to experience it than while fullfilling your passion! I'm sure there are more negative stories than you can count, but if and when it's not worth it to them anymore, they can sell it hopefully for a profit and pursue another dream. How fun!
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 12:32 PM

I've ideally thought about opening up a residential training facility in France... offering customised IT Training, which is what I do, but also other training such as soft skills for business and then some leisure courses such as cooking or painting (not run by me!). I'd be happy to run the business side but wouldn't be keen to actually work the residential side - I'd have to get staff to do that - I hate housekeeping my own house let alone doing it for a living!
It's just an idle thought for now though but of small seeds do big dreams grow!
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 01:16 PM

RLA
In appreciation of your generouse spirit and positive outlook, you may stay free and frequently at our casa in campagnia.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 01:41 PM

I like to think, when I'm enveloped by some romantic haze or have been drinking too much red wine, that living and working in Italy would be magic. But I do agree with flygirl's "work cooties" comment (great phrase, by the way!)
I speak from some personal experience. I live in the Philadelphia area, and used to like travelling to Florida on vacation. In October of 2000, I was given new work responsibilities which required me to travel to Florida frequently...it started at about two weeks per month, and escalated to every single week... I was on a plane to somewhere in Florida every Monday morning, returning Friday evening, for a solid 18 months.
No doubt my current feelings about the state are colored by the fact that the main reason I was there so much was due to serious problems in our business, and most of my time was spent dealing with one big mess after another. Today, I truly feel that if I never stepped foot in Florida again for the rest of my life, that would be fine by me.
Not saying that I could ever feel that way about Italy, but I can see a real difference between visiting a place, and living there.
No offense intended to all who live in or love Florida.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 01:46 PM

When I have a wild moment, "yes." Have you read Francis Mayes book on buying a house there? It gives you an insight into doing so.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 01:49 PM

What does "work cooties" mean?
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 03:16 PM

I'm guessing that the phrase 'work cooties' means you start to associate a place, city, country, more with work and responsibility than you do with relaxing and enjoying yourself. Therefore, 'work cooties' have the potential to ruin a beautiful friendship between you and your favorite destination.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 03:26 PM

"Cooties" were the "germs" you got from kissing a boy or girl of the opposite sex in grade school. At least that's what they were here in Indiana.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -