Has anyone bought a rug

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 08:26 AM
Art

Has anyone bought a rug

On my recient trip to Spain I took a side trip to Morroco. I usually collect coffie cups as souviniers, but couldn't find one in Morroco so bought a rug instead. It is a beautiful runner for a specific area in my house, but I'm hoping that I didn't pay to much for it. Has anyone else on this Lounge bought a run in Morrocco and were you satisified with it???? or am I a first class sucker???

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 08:48 AM
Lisa

Art,
I am planning a trip to southern Spain(Seville,Granada,Toledo) for Sept 2001, and was considering adding Morocco. Did you go to Tanger, or farther in? How was the port in Algeciras? Did you stay over night there, or nearby? How was the ferry ride to Morocco? How much DID you pay for the rug?
(sorry for all the ?'s, I had posted a mssg asking you for details of your trip a few days ago...)
Lisa

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 10:18 AM
jwagner

Art,

I bought two rugs in Morocco a few years ago (which would make me a major, major league sucker. Advanced apologies to Tony is I somehow insulted all of Europe with that.) I spent about $2,000 for two large rugs. I later had them appraised and found that I got a bit of a bargain--but nothing out of this world. I bought my rugs at a large second, story store and spent about three hours picking out the patterns that I wanted. I paid with a credit card and was told that I could return them (I'd pay the shipping) if I didn't like them. It took a long time to get them but everything worked out OK. My guess is, unless you bought them on the street, you will be fine. (Another thing: I signed my name on a "Certificate" woven into the bottom of the rug, which was supposed to guarantee that I got the rug I ordered. I know that it could have been switched, but... I also had a chance to look through a guest book and found names of several other Iowans who had purchased rugs and who I knew of. I called and asked them their experiences and they said everything was OK.)

Jay Wagner

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 12:28 PM
Art

Lisa, I'm putting together my trip report and will answer your questions. We did get lucky in Algecaris and stayed directly across from the Dock. I'l include the name of the Hotel in my report.

Jay, thanks for your response. I feel a lot better.

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 01:03 PM
jeff

I think this month's Arthur Frommer's budget travel magazine has an article on buying rugs.

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 06:29 AM
jwagner

Art,

I've been thinking about the rug buying experience. Just the memories are practically worth the money (well, a chunk of it). I remember being led up a narrow flight of stairs and into a showroom with literally hundreds of rugs. First we sat down for some mint tea and something sweet. We sat around a low table on stacks of pillows and learned a little bit about the rug business. I used the sales experience in a sales book I wrote because the sellers were so darn good. They didn't start out with the typical "wanna buy a rug?" They placed the assumption on the table that a rug would be purchased. We started with size and color. Then the salesman asked me "what don't you like about it?" He said something in Arabic to two assistants and off they went to fetch another rug, but with the changes I wanted. This went on for more than an hour. Then we haggled over price. He acted insulted when I suggested what I would pay, but insisted that I make the first offer, before he would quote me a price. Then we haggled some more. Finally, we reached an agreement and he asked me for a $100 tip. (I think I ended up giving him $50, because he was just so darn good at what he did.) He's probably helped me make thousands of dollars in the states because he taught me a simple rule about sales: always assume that the sale will be made.

Thanks for jogging these memories.

Jay

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 03:09 PM
sis

I bought a 3x5 in Morocco almost 2 yrs ago. I guess it all comes down to if you believe yours to be worth what you paid. I hang mine above my bed and continue to enjoy it, each time I enter my room.

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 01:21 AM
Karen

We bought two very large rugs in Morocco. We enjoyed choosing them and then practically had a heart attack when the first price quoted was casually jotted down on a piece of paper. Then we made the classic mistake of saying we certainly couldn't contemplate paying that much for two nice but not exceptional rugs and made the further mistake of quoting a price about half of the original quote (still twice as much as I would even really consider paying, let alone getting a bargain!) Before we knew it, the deal was done. We had "learned" from an earlier mistake of sending a rug from India to the UK that the VAT was very high, so we "cleverly" shipped it to my mother's in the US, thinking "no VAT". But the import and customs clearance charges were pretty hefty, not to mention the trouble my mom went through to clear the goods with the shipping company. Sigh. I like the rugs, but ... One good rule we learned later in Morocco (on much smaller ticket items) was to offer as little as ten percent of the asking price - a more realistic bargaining platform, and only to even enter into the fray if you are either so in love with the item you must have it and are willing to bargain for a while or, conversely, you can take it or leave it, but only to take it at a set price (so you are willing to walk away once the price exceeds your highest offer). We did well from then on, but wish we had learned that before the big carpet purchase! Next time we ever buy a carpet anywhere, we'll also add the rule that, if you can't carry it with you, forget about it!

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 08:14 AM
Art

Whoops, I guess I may have been suckered. The quoted price was $3000 and I ended up paying $600 (20%) after bartering.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 08:16 AM
helen

Art, Stop kicking yourself! Karen said 10% as a starting offer, and $600 is probably much less than you would have paid in the US. Plus, you say that it's beautiful. It's a great souveneir that should bring you pleasure. Even if, hypothetically, you were a bit of a sucker, is a couple hundred dollars going to make or break you 20 yr from now? I'll admit to having a pang once in a while when I think of the time I bargained down the price on a beautiful cloisenne (sp?) vase in China, and the quick look of surprise when they came to wrap up a pair and I thought we had been bargaining for ONE (figured it out in retrospect), but, my mom loves it and, therefore, so what. Enjoy your rug and stop obsessing.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 11:47 AM
Art

MY RUG HAS ARRIVED. I got a call yesterday to pick it up. No VAT because of the classification of Morroco. I got it home and it was as I remembered. I had planned where to put it and was worried that it would not fit. IT WAS PERFECT. It couldn't have fit better if I had measured the space and custom ordered it. Happy ending.
Art

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 02:33 PM
Susan

Art, congratulations on your purchase! I'm glad it arrived. We too bought a rug on our recent trip to Turkey - a small silk on silk one. It is prayer rug size, so we were able to bring it back with us. I love it!! Maybe we didn't get the best price - I don't know rugs - but I know I still liked it when we got home. We went into the store saying that we weren't going to buy a rug - I was looking at pillows. Next thing I know, my husband is looking at rugs! Now I think we're hooked (so to speak) and I can see us buying another one on our next trip!

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 11:37 AM
Polly

Does anyone get out of Morrocco without buying a rug? They are really persistant. Like the earlier poster said, they don't come out with it straight "Do you want to buy a rug". You start off looking in the window at something totally different - you don't want to buy, you're just looking. Next thing you know, you somehow got transported inside the shop and you're drinking some mint tea the nice man bought for you. Now you're feeling obliged to be at least polite and look at his carpets, which you didn't think you wanted. He shows you nine or maybe ten. You nod and smile and drink your mint tea. Which one do you like the best? he asks, and foolishly, you point to one of them, but saying at the same time, "but I don't want a rug". Next thing, there are ten more, similar to the one you foolishly identified as liking. What you pay me for this? he asks. "Well I don't want a rug" you say. "Play the game with me" he smiles, "what you pay for this in your country?" Of course you have no idea so you make something up, and you make it cheap (just in case). Immediately he looks insulted. The smile has gone. "You insult the craftmanship of my people" he hisses "This is craftman work. Took many hours. You come from your rich country and think you can buy from us for nothing" You are now feeling distinctly uncomfortable. How the hell did you get here. At this point, it takes a strong person to get up and walk out, but if you don't want a rug, do it now. No, don't walk, run. These guys have PhDs in psychology. For them, it's like taking candy from a baby.

If you are serious about buying a carpet, go alone. Don't go where your tour guide suggests (my cousin/brother-in-law/dentist, sells carpets and I can get you a discount) because he will expect his cut from the salesman, and that will put the price up.

You will never again be hassled as you have been in Morroco. Use it as a learning experience. Believe me, Turkey is tame in comparison.

Old Oct 19th, 2000, 10:48 AM
Lily

Polly, I can totally relate to your experience. We were in Morocco last November and went through the exact same experience. I'm happy to say that we got back to Spain rug-free by doing just what you said -- walking out of the store in spite of the hisses from the salesman. (I think he may have even shouted "Leave!" to us at one point.) If we had wanted a rug, it would have been a great place to get one. They were beautiful. But we truly didn't want one and refused to be pressured. It's so amusing to read about similar experiences.