Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been to Courmayeur, Italy or Chamonix, France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 08:10 AM
mark

Has anyone been to Courmayeur, Italy or Chamonix, France at Mont Blanc? I'm taking my annual ski trip there in Jan. Tell me what to expect.

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 08:03 PM
Christina

Hi Mark, <BR> <BR>How did it go? Where did you stay? Was it worth it? We are a bunch of Colorado skiiers heading there next month. We'd appreciate any insights. <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 02:54 PM
julie

Have been to Chamonix...didn't ski, but can tell you that the scenery is absolutely incredulous! However, the several mile long tunnel we when thru (driving) to get there was not fun, as I am clostrophobic!.

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 05:19 PM
alan

Hi! I have been yo Chamonix. Haven't skied there. We were there in October. The cable car to the top of Mt. Blanc gives a stunning view when you reach the top. It was snowing, windy and cold. I think there may be a website for Chamonix, check for it or maybe someone on Fodors can help. It is beautiful. alan

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 02:04 AM
Vincent

Julie, the "several mile long tunnel" is indeed no fun, especially since 40 people got killed there one year ago after having being trapped in a gigantic fire inside the tunnel. Since, the tunnel is closed (until further notice, it might never reopen), thank God for the local people, and the environment, who won't have to put up with 4,000 trucks a day. <BR> <BR>As for skiing, I know that Chamonix is the best known ski resort in France, but it is far from being the best, period. For great skiing, you'd better check the Tarentaise resorts, where the Albertville Olympics took place, and where the whole of Europe comes skiing. There is a good web site by the official association for the promotion of skiing in France, "Ski France".