Has anyone actually rented a vespa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the few things I have wanted to do and haven't done yet in Italy, yep, tried most everything else there, is ride a vespa.

I want to ride along the Amalfi drive with the wind in my hair and bugs in my teeth, has anyone done this? And lived to tell the tale? Are they easy to get the hang of?
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 04:12 AM
ira

Hi Chardonnay,

For real thrills, chlls and excitment you have found THE way to do the Amalfi Coast.

Have you ever driven a motorbike or cycle?
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 04:37 AM

I rented a Vespa in Florence once and I loved it!

carnie
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 08:51 AM

My wife and I rented one from our hotel on Lipari and toured the island, it was great and easy to "get the hang of". Not sure I'd want to do the Amalfi though, lots of traffic when we drove it in September of '91.
Old Dec 24th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

No, I haven't tried to drive a cycle, maybe I could practice on flat surface without steep cliffs first!

Old Dec 26th, 2003, 03:06 AM

No, I haven't, but this nugget of wisdom from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" might apply:

If you have a ten dollar head, get a ten dollar helmet.

I remembered that line when the firm that rented me a scooter in Bermuda didn't have a helmet available that would fit me properly. Even if it had, the foam cushioning looked like it had seen the sun once too often.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 04:08 AM

I did not rent one, but during a visit to our Rome office some years ago, I noticed we had several Vespa's, used primarily to courier contracts and mail around Rome.

I had ridden the things in my youth and mentioned that I would like to use one to ride around Rome over the weekend. The office manager turned white and suggested that I save time and jump out a window to commit suicide that way, unstead of messing up one of his machines in the process.

To make a long story short, I pulled rank and took it for the weekend. I had a ball. . a little scary at first since the Roman auto drivers apparently can not see these things . . but once I realized they would run over me if given half a chance, I adjusted my driving to stay out of the way. I was brushed once by another bike, but otherwise the weekend was accident free.

I had a ball buzzing around Rome and by the second day, was driving just like the Romans do. All in all, I would just as soon see the sights on foot, but it was a nice one time experience!

Rich
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 07:27 AM

We have rented a Vespa, and I must say, it was a ton of fun. My husband drove and I was scared to death on the back. He is a very experienced motorcyclist, both for work and for play, and this came in very handy. I kept hoping that I wouldn't return home with just one leg! Every car, scooter,bus, ect. is right next to you...it is not for the faint of heart. The two stroke engines are not that smooth either and tend to lurch and jerk a bit. A friend, who said she use to ride a long time ago, rented a vespa on Capri, and within a minute or two, crashed it, broke her finger and knocked out her tooth AND had to pay a small fortune for the bike...she claims that the bike had something wrong and couldn't stop it.

Old Dec 26th, 2003, 07:32 AM
ira

Hi chardonnay,

Italy is not the place to learn to drive a moto.

If you really want to do this, rent one at home and practice before you go to Italy.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

I have to say, Rich, when I read what your office manager said about committing suicide I had one of the few laughs from Fodors in a long time, I can just picture him saying it.

Thanks to all of you for the tips. I have decided to lure a nice experienced Italian into giving me a ride on the back of a vespa, then we will both be happy!
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 01:10 PM

Chardonnay,
dont forget to make a will and buy life Insurance..Riding a vespa in Rome or the Amalfi Coast..?

In Bocca Al Lupo..dear friend..
You Need it....
Ciao,
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 01:20 PM
GAC

Remember the scene of Audrey Hepburn riding in second position behind Gregory Peck on a Vespa on the streets of Rome? It seemed all so easy then ............
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Excuse my ignorance, Kismetc. but what does that translate to, something about a wolf's mouth? Like into the mouth of the wolf road the American on the back of a vespa?

Are there helmet laws in Italy? I don't think so, but maybe no one heeds them.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 04:21 PM

I say son, once I rode a Vespa in Rome and had all my feathers heading south until we came to that stop light and then they all went north. I tell you boy, I will never get on a Wasp again. Almost plucked me clean!
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 05:50 PM

Chardonnay, is an old roman expression..The equivalent of Break a Leg, Good luck, etc..,,
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 05:57 PM

GAC, iI remember the scene quite well...

Audrey and Peck seemed so carefree,riding around the Colosseum in their Vespa...
But these times are gone,and what "we have is remembrance of a beautiful time that is gone".. These are the words of .."Vecchia Roma"..an old Roman Stornello( Ballade).
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 06:59 AM

We rented one in Positano and it was a wonderful way to explore the coast. My husband drove and had no problems with it but he does ride a motorocycle. I too would suggest you learn how to ride back home first before you venture to do this at the Amalfi Coast.
Old Dec 27th, 2003, 10:06 AM

Hi,
We rented a scooter in Myconos and another island, so when we went to Amalfi MDH decided to rent a scooter. He does not drive a motor cycle and he was surprised at the power of the cycle he rented. He thought it would be like the previous scooters and indeed it had a lot more power. He figure it out and drove our daughter up and away off the main drag into the mountain side. He did have to do some driving on the coast road and he seemed to feel comfotable doing this. But, when you rent you might want to check how the horse power. I would rather rent a vespa in Amalfi than Rome. I have read you can be taken around Rome on a Vespa, you as a passenger. This sounds like fun. Be careful and have fun.