Reload this Page >

Has any one been to Corsica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 09:40 AM
Wendy

I'm looking on-line and in books, but does anyone know what there is to do on Corsica that you know of and/or enjoyed? I know there is a winery, and we are staying at La Villa. Is there something of cultural interest not to miss in September? <BR> <BR>Thank you for your suggestions in advance.... <BR>Wendy

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Jan

Hi Wendy, <BR>I have had a couple of holidays in Corsica and enjoyed the island very much. I am not sure where La Villa is, I have looked in my guide book and cannot seem to find it. If you could give me a little more info. I might be able to help you. I have stayed in the N.W. of the island near Calvi and the S.W. near Propriano.The Michelin Green Guide is useful for things 'not to miss'. The places I personally liked include Bonifacio, Col de Bavella, Calvi, the medieval town of Corte.Its a wonderful island, enjoy!

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 10:37 AM
Capo

Hi Wendy. You might find this of some use: Paul Theroux has a very interesting chapter on his travels in Corsica in his excellent book "The Pillars of Hercules."

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 01:13 PM
wendy

Thanks you two! <BR> <BR>Jan-I'm running out for the M. guide now...La Villa is a Relais Chateau property near Calvi. <BR> <BR>Capos, <BR>I actually own that book but ashamed to say I haven't had time to read it! Thanks for the heads up! <BR> <BR>I went to a few wine shops today to do a quick glance over Corsican offerings/vineyards, but to no avail! <BR> <BR>Hopefully the guide will help! <BR> <BR>Nothing like last minute projects! <BR>Wendy

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 01:40 PM
Jan

Hi again Wendy, <BR>Calvi is interesting and I guess you could easily spend a day sightseing there, walk up to the old Citadel its very interesting. If you don't have a car you can take the little railway along the coast to Algajola and Ile Rousse.I stayed in Ile Rousse and I found it a most charming place. If you do have a car however you will have more chance to see what the area has to offer, drive into the Balagne region inland from Ile Rousse, a lovely area of valeys filled with olive groves. The inland scenery is more than a match for the coast. A word of warning however some of the roads can be twisty and narrow, the coast road from Calvi to Porto is not for the faint hearted! <BR>A visit to Corte is possible from Calvi as is St. Florent a pretty fishing village in the N.W. of the island. Just remember what looks a short distance on a map invariably takes longer to drive than you might think due to the twisty roads, somehow though that just adds to the charm!

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 01:48 PM
wendy

WOW! Thank you very much. I enjoy reading informative helpful posts like yours...I really appreciate your help! <BR> <BR>I'll actually be in a minivan with 8 others, so I'm glad for the heads up on the white knuckle driving, because I'm the driver!

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 02:00 PM
Jan

Just a quick p.s. get yourself a good map either the Michelin yellow map or you can buy an even more detailed map that is done by the French equivalent of the Ordnance Survey. There are two maps one for the north and one for the south of the island I will try and find the actual name of the map I have one somewhere. Anything else I can help with just ask.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 02:09 PM
wendy

Well, I didn't want to ask too much, but do you remember any restaurants that were perticularly good? We have to eat at the villa one night and their boat another, to 'check out' the chef who is expecting us, but we do want to eat elsewhere! <BR> <BR>Also, I'm glad to hear about olive groves, which means there are mills to visit. Do you remember seeing any goat cheese farms while you drove? <BR> <BR>Sorry, its a group of foodies going! <BR> <BR>Thank you again for your time and wonderful suggestions. <BR> <BR>Best, Wendy <BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 03:58 PM
topper

Never have been there, but would love to go, so for now I'm... <BR> TOPPER

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 04:06 PM
wendy

perticular=particular

Old May 1st, 2001, 05:52 AM
Jan

Hi Wendy, <BR>Firstly the map its a 'serie verte' 1:1000,000 1cm pour 1km. Its published by IGN (institut geographique national) and I think you will need sheet 73 for N. Corsica. As for restaurants it was a few years ago I was there and before I kept a detailed holiday diary as I do now, so I couldn't really remember the names of any of the restaurants I ate in let alone recommend any! I would only say I never had a bad meal, lots of lovely sea food and really good charcuterie products as I remember.There were plenty of local goats and ewes milk cheeses of good quality, I would imagine the local Syndicat D'Inititive, (Tourist Office),could help you with the names of any farms that you could visit. One of the red wines I remember as particularly good was from Patrimonio vineyards. <BR>I notice from my guide book that there is The festival of The Madonna in Calvi on the Sunday after 8th Sept. Not sure what that involves but if you are there during this time it may be worth checking out.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 05:30 AM
Patty

I'm looking for lodging recommedations -will be in Corsica this May. Have 5 days and want to make sure I see the best the island has to offer in terms of scenery and ambiance. Flying into Ajaccio and then taking a ferry from Bastia to Italy. Help!