Search

Harrods - Food Hall Indulgences?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 05:35 AM
MHS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harrods - Food Hall Indulgences?

Reading a recently posted London report, I have a purely whimsical question re Harrods's food hall. We hope to pop over to Harrods's late afternoon following the Flower Show. In addition to their "fabulous stilton cheese cake" -- would Fodor's foodies familiar with Harrods's add their suggestions on what to indulge in? Snack food for the following day's train ride? More yummy dessert concoctions for pre-bed snack? and, of course, what's the very very best chocolate indulgence? Thanks
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 05:45 AM

Harrods cheeses of all kinds.<BR>Bakery products. <BR>Their coffee.<BR>Little pastry pies with meat in them.<BR>
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 06:36 AM
aj

Great question but too many choices for an answer! The pastry and bread are always good and should travel well. Don't forget a bag or box of candy or nuts for the train. They have some great looking ham and salami, cheese, fruit...I can see it in my mind now and wish I were there. My dream train trip would be to have them pack a &quot;hamper&quot; (picnic basket) with everything above and a great bottle of wine... Everything there looks so good I almost feel like I need to go to confession after all the food lusting!
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 06:54 AM

When I was there a few years ago I walked around to the various deli counters and bought bread rolls, goat cheese, smoked salmon, olives and a mixed marinated antipasto, something sweet, and an ice pack to keep it all cold. We had this for lunch the next day at the British museum.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 07:02 AM

Harrod's cream caramels(toffee)..I am sorry I only bought a small tin of them.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 06:58 PM

My husband is firmly convinced the donuts from Harrod's are the best he ever had! We were there 2 years ago this month, and he still talks about them.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 07:14 PM

the farmhouse cheddar cheese (non-pasturized milk product) is simply the best...brings tears to my eyes, both eating it and thinking about it...<BR>the cakes and pastries are beautiful, delicious and of course expensive...<BR><BR>if you don't know it --on the floor below the food halls, there is a proper grocery store which has lots of things for your picnic, perhaps packaged better for you...there is a stairway and an escalator down from in the green grocer area, as i remember...<BR><BR>rest rooms---some of harrods restroom , especially the one on 4 (?) opposite the restaurant (which is reasonable and good) charge 1 pound to enter...yes $1.50...however if you eat in the restaurant they give you a free access coin---well worth it...very clean and neat as well.....<BR><BR>don't miss the fish area and the fish sculpture near the raw bar...also don't miss the sausage area....<BR><BR>the chocolates are simply fabulous but will cost as much as one nites' hotel...<BR><BR>i'm sure you know it but it is also fun to go to fortnum and mason on picadilly to browse the first floor food area...great tea room at the back and good restaurant in the basement...<BR><BR>great whole food restaurant in back of and underneath the church just up the street from fortnum's.. enjoy
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:54 AM

the marzipan concoctions are a delight--whimsical--plus make great gifts!