COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Hard sales in Murano

Old May 31st, 2005, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Hard sales in Murano

Is there a way to travel to Murano without being pressured to buy their products? I wanted to go there while in Venice last summer but was wary.
Old May 31st, 2005, 02:14 PM

Regular vaporetti (public boats) stop on Murano and are not in any way aligned with particlar shops.
Old May 31st, 2005, 02:15 PM

You can take the free taxi. We did that and even though they toured you around, I didn't feel any pressure to buy. Or take the vaporetto. If you tour yourself, they don't push either. We have done both. We were allowed to watch the glass working (pressed and blowing)as long as we wanted. One place I had to ask for assistance buying something.
Old May 31st, 2005, 02:20 PM

Hi dacapo, I have taken the vaporetti and have never felt pressured to buy anthing. In fact one time (I had told my DD to keep her hands to herself) she broke a glass horse. I was so irritated that the woman got irritated with me for my being irriated with my daughter (for not minding). She would not accept my money for the broken glass horse. She also have my daughter another glass horse as a rememberance of Murano.

I am sure that was an unusal case, but one I will never forget. Go and have fun!!
Old May 31st, 2005, 03:05 PM

If your hotel offers you a free taxi ride to Murano, it will be sponsored by a particular glass factory. When you get out of the boat, you will be directed to the factory in question, where you will see some glass and be encouraged to buy, but not forced. The first time I went to Murano I took the free taxi ride and struck out on my own, making a purchase eventually at another factory. I went back on a vaporetto.

I actually don't see the point of going to Murano if you don't want to shop at a factory showroom, unless you are very interested in one of the churches or in seeing the Glass museum. There are plenty of glass items to buy in Venice proper, and some of the non-factory shops on the main street of Murano even sell glass that isn't made there.