Hamburg & Lubeck 8 days 4 each

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 02:37 PM
barbara

Hamburg & Lubeck 8 days 4 each

will be going on 9/12. business for spouse and i will have lots of free time. experienced traveler but no hiking please. curious about weather, baltic sea,and the off- the -beaten path treasures....been to frankfurt,munich,dachau and the castles on prior trip.thanks

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 07:14 PM
Wildschwein

Enjoy! You'll be seeing an area of Germany that is beautiful in many ways altough it differs greatly from those areas in which you've traveled in the past. A few suggestions:

1. Visit the Lueneburger Heide. This protected nature-preserve lies ca.30 miles south of Hamburg. Rail service is available from Hamburg, but service is not comprehensive - a car is advisable. The heart of the area is closed to auto-traffic, but horse-drawn carriges are plentiful. A drive through the non-restricted areas will still provide you with this glimpse of rural north-german life. In the middle of September, you MIGHT be able to catch the tail end of the blomming season - when the Heide (Heath, Heather) becomes a sea of purple.

2. Just outside of Kiel, 60 miles north of Hamburg, you'll find the Schleswig-Holstein Open-Air museum. This is one of my favorite open-air museums in all of Europe. Well worth a visit.

3. Schleswig, ca. 100 miles north of Haamburg is the sight of one of Germany's best preserved Viking settlements. Several notable museums are located in and around this picturesque fisherman's town.

4. Luebeck lies right up against the former East-West German border. Spend some time east of that line (i.e. Wismar, Schwerin, Bad Doberan) to get a feel for the differences between east and west - still visible after 10 years of unification. Small eastern German towns will give the best picture of Germany as she existed prior to the collapse of '45.

5. Hamburger Fischmarkt. Sundays at dawn... flea market... beer... fresh fish...beer...dueling bands... beer...produce salesmen, loudly and creativly hawking their wares... beer... and more fish. Party heartily at the harbor - all before the church bells ring!

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 08:10 PM
xxx

to the top for barbara

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 11:15 AM
timmy

see "small town in Germany" thread for mention of Hameln - doable as a day trip from Hamburg

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 08:54 PM
xxx

top!