Reload this Page >

"halving" a meal

Search

"halving" a meal

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 03:22 AM
Jeri

"halving" a meal

Is "halving" a meal terribly frowned on in Italy? Is there a surcharge? Would they tell us to leave? We just aren't big eaters and yet would like to try the nice restarants in Italy? Thanks for the help for this simple dilema? Jeri

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 04:32 AM
Rex

I think that the short answer is no - - you will not encounter any problem (nor will you consistently encounter much understanding) in Italy - - any more than you would anywhere else. <BR> <BR>But let's qualify the answer: <BR> <BR>First - - take Morton's or Ruth's Chris, known throughout US. There are well-known, "high-quality" restaurants; the prices are very high, the portions are outrageously large - - almost everything is enough to serve two (four?). This is a growing trend in the US, and I have almost never seen a similar phenomenon in Europe. You will get a slightly cold shoulder at such places if you seek to split a meal, or ask for a half portion (you might want a QUARTER portion!). The key is understanding what you get when you go in a place like this (in the US), and if your preferences are going to run afoul of their attitude, then just don't go there! <BR> <BR>By contrast, consider the Four Seasons in New York, a benchmark in fine dining for over forty years. A lot higher priced than the kind of place mentioned above, but many would consider it a LOT more worth the price! And they do have their $25 two-course bar lunch and $55 pre-theater three-course offering to provide a less expensive way to eat there. I don't actually know what you would encounter there, asking for half portions or splitting just one or two courses. But I think they really want to please you, and I think they know it won't kill their business if you occupy one of their tables for half the usual tab. <BR> <BR>But the real destination restaurants in Italy (and all over Europe) are not the fancy places. They're ordinary everyday restaurants catering to everyday folks, and they have no more attitude about what you order than a Bob Evans. They might not actually prepare a half portion, but they certainly won't object to your splitting a course or two. And the system of "primi" and "secondi" piatti (courses) makes it easy for two people to try two different things, for what might be one meal to someone else. <BR> <BR>The more the place is focused on catering to tourists, the more you might get some attitude if you order ONLY one primi for one of you, one secondi for the other. But okay, so you live and learn to pick a different kind of place next time. Walk through the place for two minutes before you order and see if all the customers have a tourist guide book in English. Maybe that wouldn't be the place you want to go. <BR> <BR>I can't imagine that any place would ever ask you to leave (have you actually encountered such a thing anywhere?) <BR> <BR>And generally, you will love the food in Italy so much, you may find it difficult to shift what and how much you eat! <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 04:49 AM
Julie

On our recent trip to Italy we often asked our waiters to split the pasta course in half for us while each ordering a separate secondi. This never encountered a sneer. In fact we started doing it at the suggestion of a waiter. If I recall we may even have done this at Harry's Bar. <BR> <BR>The other experience I have with this practice was in the Loire Valley. There a couple seated next to us asked for a main course to be halved. They were informed that the restaurant would do it but required a "plate" charge for the second diner. This seemed reasonable enough to me, but our fellow diners walked out in a huff. <BR> <BR>Surely no one would be put off if one of you ordered a primi while the other ordered a secondi and you quietly shared your respective meals between yourselfs. Most restaurants appear to me to have become more tolerant and less paraochial about eating habits all the way around. Besides what's the worst that happens, they tell you they won't permit you to do what you ask and you leave--or respect their custom because you want their food. Up to you.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Tony

In Italy we had absolutely no problem in sharing meals. Rex is right, it is so easy for one to order a primi and the other a secondi. It is much more comfortable to do this in Italy than in France.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 08:55 AM
russ i

In Italy, we usually order 2 courses each. One of us will order an antipasto and a primo, the other will order a primo and a secondo. We then end up splitting the antipasto and the secondo. If we have room we will split a dessert. <BR> <BR>In France, I have found the least troublesome method is for one of us to order a 3 course menu, and the other to just order a main course. We then split the starter and the dessert. We have never had any problems, in Paris or the countryside, by doing this.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Andy

Jeri--Yes- there is a surcharge in certain restaurants--We were in Portofino in May and we BOTH ordered an entree--we asked that it be split in the kitchen so it wouldn't look tacky for us to do it ourselves--that way we would split the 2 entree--Well, they did it in the kitchen and charged us for another !!! entree in addition--for the price we paid, we could have ordered a 3rd entree-- <BR>My advice,unless you speak Italian-split the dish yoursleves at your table--We were rudely awakened to this extra charge even AFTER we asked the question and were told NO extra charge to split-- <BR>When the bill came,all of a sudden no one spoke English good enough..... <BR>Food was awesome-service was ok-ENGLISH was not their 2nd language! <BR>Advise--SPLIT on your own-don't ask for help.............

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Lexma90

Keep in mind that portions in general are much smaller in Italy (Europe) than they are in the U.S. I can easily eat a 2- or 3-course meal in Italy, where I rarely do that in the U.S. By 2 courses, I will order appetizer & pasta, or an appetizer & entree dish. Sometimes I'll also get a dessert (then it's 3 courses). Never felt the need to split a course; while it's obviously done, I would feel rude doing that (and more importantly, the portions aren't so big that I need to).

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 01:08 PM
traveler

This was not a problem for us in MOST of Italy, except for one experience in Venice. <BR> <BR>My wife and I and our two sons (in their early-20s) sat at an outdoor restaurant. My sons proceeded to order enough food to sink a battleship (and my wallet). <BR> <BR>My wife and I weren't too hungry so I told the waiter, who I believe was the owner, that we wanted to share a meal. <BR> <BR>He proceeded to wag his finger at me and say "no sharing." <BR> <BR>Now, consider this: Two people at the table had already ordered enough food for six, but the owner was going insist that we order two more full meals. <BR> <BR>Doing my best to play the Ugly American, I said, "No sharing? No business." And we got up and went to the restaurant next door, which allowed sharing.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 01:32 PM
fran

I agree with Lexma90, the portions are really rather modest in size so could easily be consumed by one person. Also, there is nothing wrong with leaving some food on your plate. I think it's not only rude to ask, it seems really cheap to me. It would really help if yor Italian is adequate to the task. <BR> <BR>If you MUST, I agree it would be best to order whatever it is you want to split and then divide it up yourself. There is a lot of food-sharing and tasting in Italian restaurants so you wouldn't appear too out of place and you can avoid the plate charges.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 02:26 AM
Jenny

My Mum and I were in Venice earlier in the year, and we often ordered a pizza and a salad (or something similar) between us, and had no problems at all. <BR>I think as long as you are seen not to be 'trying it on' as we would say, then you are OK! <BR> <BR>Jenny

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 06:24 AM
traveler

It's "rude" to ask? And "cheap"? Give me a break! <BR> <BR>I think it's rude of the restaurant owner to lecture a customer on what he can and cannot order. And who's being cheap when the owner attempts to squeeze customers for every ounce? <BR> <BR>That post is really hard to believe.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Shadow

Each time we tried to do this we were not allowed to-lets put it this way-they were not going to do it for us. We just stopped asking. <BR>Shadow

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 10:08 PM
Bruce

Yes, you're right, "traveler". It is OK to do whatever you want in a restaurant and ingnore what you think is rude or wrong. Next time I go to a local restaurant in the US, I'm going to order hot water for free, then ask them to bring the ketchup and make my own tomato soup. Never mind that I won't have to pay a thing -- that's what those poor suckers get for being in business.

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 10:40 AM
Linda

In Italy, it is quite acceptable in most restaurants to request a mezzo portione (sp?), or half portion, especially of pasta. I've done this frequently and never been given even an odd stare.

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 03:02 PM
Kay

Our experiences in Italy were mixed, although we were eating at local, family restaurants rathter than what I would consider "nice." At one place when we were considering the pizzas, the waiter asked if we would like it for two, used to Americans splitting, but we wanted one pizza for each of us. <BR> <BR>Another night in SML, it was getting late and both of us really just wanted something light so we entered a local spot with maybe 4 other diners in it. We each would have been happy with just a dinner salad or something similar, but we thought that was too little to order, so we asked the waitress if it would be acceptable for each of us to order salads and my husband order one pizza. She said that was fine (we were conversing in basic Italian). The cook was really mad, slamming the pizza onto the work table when it was done. The waitress got mad at him, brought the pizza with a second plate and apologized. <BR> <BR>Another night we were in a Florence restaurant and each ordered a meal that came with meat and two vegetables, same as the two men next to us. They thought it great fun to give us ordering advice and encouraged us to sample each others' meals to try as many local dishes as possible. So we weren't "halving" but sharing in this case.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 08:02 AM
amy

bruce-you are just obnoxious. no one is suggesting 'making' their own meals at these restaurants, they simply don't care to order and pay for more than they can eat. <BR> <BR>i just returned from italy and we had no problem sharing. we never really announced we were sharing, never felt the need to have them 'halve' things for us...but my husband would order a salad or starter and i a pasta dish, etc. i think as long as each person orders something-even if it's a drink, they don't mind.

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this post started awhile ago but found it when searching the idea of sharing food. In reading some restaurant reviews, they talk about wonderful steak in Florence that hangs over the plate. I would love to try this but can't imagine my husband and I eating a whole one each. Would it be acceptable to order a prima, secondo and then share the steak?
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 12:56 PM
ira

Hi mama,

&gt; Would it be acceptable to order a prima, secondo and then share the steak?&lt;

I strongly urge you to order no more than a primo each before you share the steak.

A secondo is the main course.

The Steak Florentine is sold by the kilo (2.2 lb). You might be able to get a 1/2 kg steak.

If you have eaten steak in Kansas, Chicago or Texas, prepare to be disappointed.

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:01 PM

I was taught a useful expression by a Sicilian waiter a few trips to Italy ago.
&quot;Uno per due,&quot; (one for two) is the way to order a dish to share.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:07 PM

thank you. I'm glad to know the term uno per due. Makes sense to me.

Actually, ira, I was thinking more of the steaks that are now popular (my first was at Little Zagreb in Bloomington) that has a lot more flavor because they are broiled with some sort of marinade for lack of a better word. The steak is like butter.
Thanks for the update.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -